DSP amp question

Janus77

Howdy folks.

My youtube stream brought up this video by Toids extolling the virtues of a 2 way plate amp with DSP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojat2DcdOWk

What i'm trying to work out is what's the benefit of using this amp in a 2 way stereo system?  My rudimentary understanding is you need a channel for each driver in order to allow for digital crossovers.  this amp only gives you 2 channels so how would you implement a 2 way, or would it only be useful for a single driver speaker, which leads me to ask why bother with DSP at all?  Am i missing something?  I reckon you need 2 x 4 as a minimum on a DSP amp unless each speaker has it's own amp unit - but this one doesn't , it has speaker outputs for the 2nd speaker.

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

What i'm trying to work out is

It's explanied in the video.

The plate amp is 2 powered channels + 3 channels DSP (incl. subwoofer out).

The connectors are setup so there is one internal... and one going to binding posts on the back....  so you can make a stereo set with the electreonics just in one speaker (and run speaker cable from L to R speaker).    This would obviously only work for a single driver speaker or a multi-way speaker with a passive crossover.

You can unplug the back binding posts, and access both channels internally ..... and this would let you make an "active 2 way speaker with DSP crossover".....  Then you would need another plate amp for the other speaker in the stereo pair (and do the same).

It seems like you could (using their SPDIF input and output boards) .... have the 2 speakers (with one plate amp in each) linked together using SPDIF.... meaning that streaming audio to one speaker.... would have the other speaker play too.

2 hours ago, Janus77 said:

Howdy folks.

My youtube stream brought up this video by Toids extolling the virtues of a 2 way plate amp with DSP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojat2DcdOWk

What i'm trying to work out is what's the benefit of using this amp in a 2 way stereo system?  My rudimentary understanding is you need a channel for each driver in order to allow for digital crossovers.  this amp only gives you 2 channels so how would you implement a 2 way, or would it only be useful for a single driver speaker, which leads me to ask why bother with DSP at all?  Am i missing something?  I reckon you need 2 x 4 as a minimum on a DSP amp unless each speaker has it's own amp unit - but this one doesn't , it has speaker outputs for the 2nd speaker.

IMHO this isn't the right unit for your intended purpose of an active crossover for a two way speaker if I'm interpreting your question correctly.

It's a stereo module with a subwoofer output that's shared between the 2 channels.  It's also expensive IMHO at USD169 (discounted according to Arylic's website) for what you get.  Distortion is quoted as 0.9% at a mere 1W output.  It's probably only going to get worse as the power output increases, which brings me to the next issue and that is of the claimed rating of 40W / channel.  Hmmmmm...... but at what distortion level?  Many of these Class D amps don't deliver hi-fi performance so those accustomed to listening to better gear will most likely be disappointed.   Not suggesting there's anything fundamentally wrong with Class D amps as there are some very good ones out there, just not in this price point or this particular module.

Finally, you can use the finest components in a product but if the circuit design and implementation are mediocre that's about all one can expect as an outcome.  I note with interest the reviewer didn't measure the output power, distortion figures, signal noise ratio of even demonstrate the unit in action.  Just a lot of comment and pricing of the add-on units you could buy for it.  Also what's the cost of the PC based DSP software package?  I did visit their website but couldn't find this software anywhere on it.  :(

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1

It was just a video i watched this morning, i'm not considering buying it.

I was left wondering what's the point of the DSP if you can't even drive a set of 2 way speakers with it?  I guess you can buy 2 of them, but then why not just have a plate amp with 4 channels instead to avoid having to run double power leads etc.

May as well leave the DSP chip off the board and accept people will have to implement a passive crossover. 

I asked the question as i wondered if i was missing something - ie. is there some way to implement a 2 way crossover in stereo with 1 of these - but there isn't.

Back in my cave..

I was left wondering what's the point of the DSP if you can't even drive a set of 2 way speakers with it?

Most people will drive stereo speakers (single driver or multi-way with passive XO) with it... that's what it's set up for (with one set of binding posts on the back.... and the other channel with wires on the back/inside).

... but you can use it for a 2-way active speaker.... you just have to use a second plate amp for the other speaker ... and if you want to use any of the digital inputs (streaming, USB, or SPDIF) .... then you'll have to wire across to the second plate amp (using SPDIF or analogue).

I guess you can buy 2 of them, but then why not just have a plate amp with 4 channels instead to avoid having to run double power leads etc.

Sure you could.... but they are rare(r) .... and the amp is designed for most people who just want to "activate" a set of speakers....  ie. make it powered, and give it streaming audio input.

May as well leave the DSP chip off the board and accept people will have to implement a passive crossover. 

People still want to EQ their active stereo speakers.

ie. is there some way to implement a 2 way crossover in stereo with 1 of these

No... 'cos that would require 4 channels.