Sony TA-N7B - Back In The House

The Fez

Well its extraordinary, some 8 years after I purchased my first N7B, I now have another.

This one has also been fully restored and in this instance the four main PSU caps replaced also.  Great to hear this amplifier again and welcome addition.  

N71.JPG

N72.JPG

N7.JPG

• Like 5

On 12/09/2021 at 7:12 PM, Willmax said:

Wow a very handsome unit, what preamp are you going to be use with this? and who did the recapping for you btw?

Currently Schiit Freya pre-amp -- NOS/NIB  1940's through 1960's MIL spec - 6SN7 Tubes. - Just brilliant, but soon to be replaced with superior 6SN7 based Pre --- 

Only info I will give regarding restoration is premium Kemet caps used in PSU replacement ( a huge undertaking in itself - and $$$$ later ) that's only the main caps. Look at the photos again and see the ultimate quality of this rebuild.  I use the terms "rebuild and restoration" with intent.

This is not merely a "re-capping"  and spraying around de-oxit, turning knobs twenty times and cleaning faceplates -- that sort of work has its place, but that is not for me  -- my amps are resto-mods -- being restored to ultimate quality using the finest parts -- matched -- and enhanced where appropriate across all circuits - and no butchering internally or cosmetically.   

--- And this is the N7B -- legendary VFET / Cascode transistor solid state dual mono power amp. Nothing like before - nothing like it since.  You can count on one hand -- no wait...less than one hand  -- those in the world that can take on the challenge of the N7B to -- and again I use the term -- rebuild -- this piece of  audio heritage without -- f!@#%^& it up...And deliver audio "Nirvana" HA!  

You can add in nearly all transistors - All transistors matched to perfection via resources, acquisitions and commercial in confidence -- and you have without question the best -- "as-new' Sony -- TA-N7B -- Enjoy...

My prior TA-N7 was also rebuilt to an incredible level -- This unit takes it to another level -- very very impressive.

For those "newbies" perhaps viewing this thread and wondering what's this Fez on about -- Its a 40 year old power amplifier -- times have changed --- well of course they have...........  😄:classic_wink:

Edited by The Fez
  • Like 1