1x 16" Sub vs 2x 12" Subs?

Thinking about a sub upgrade and am looking at Greg Osborn's offerings.

My room is 25m2 and we like good quality bass, but definitely don't need to "shake the house" so to speak. 

I'm leaning towards the T12 as it's more affordable, not as big and front ported. In time I could add another if I thought there was a need.

But, the T16 is enticing for it's bigger driver. Interestingly they both have the same quoted frequency response, though I imagine the 16" driver would have more thump?

Fortunately I can accommodate 2x subs up front, or one up front and one at the back so placement is less of an issue if I do get a second one.

EDIT - the subs will be for LFE content only. They won't be used in my two channel setup.

Edited by Wood

Hello Wood,

I have always been able to hear/locate a single sub woofer playing away in a system and from experience, you'll get a far better blend with two sub woofers up front with your main loudspeakers.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Wood,

I have always been able to hear/locate a single sub woofer playing away in a system and from experience, you'll get a far better blend with two sub woofers up front with your main loudspeakers.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

I prefer 2 subs rather than 1 bigger one.  The key to good bass is getting even bass in the room, not how loud or low a sub can go.

Thanks for the replies. I too can localise one sub and in the past have had two integrated into my two channel system with great success. 

However (I should have made this clear in my OP) this sub upgrade is strictly for LFE content only when watching movies and shows etc.

Does this change things?

3 minutes ago, Wood said:

However (I should have made this clear in my OP) this sub upgrade is strictly for LFE content only when watching movies and shows etc.

Does this change things?

No, my comments apply to movies as well. Bass does not know whether you play a movie or listen to music 😄 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wood said:

Thanks for the replies. I too can localise one sub and in the past have had two integrated into my two channel system with great success. 

Does this change things?

I guess strictly for LFE content in movies is not going to matter as much, but I'm sure those really into HT playback will not concur.:lol: I have two sealed 10" woofers as part of my two channel loudspeakers and I find they're more than adequate for LFE content when watching a movie, so no separate sub woofers required.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I guess strictly for LFE content in movies is not going to matter as much, but I'm sure those really into HT playback will not concur.:lol: I have two sealed 10" woofers as part of my two channel loudspeakers and I find they're more than adequate for LFE content when watching a movie, so no separate sub woofers required.

Cheers,

Keith

If they’re part of your 2 channel setup, how do they receive LFE content?

2 minutes ago, Wood said:

If they’re part of your 2 channel setup, how do they receive LFE content?

Ah, not sure of your question, but I presume you mean the low frequency effects as part of a movie soundtrack and they would come from the source. 

Cheers,

Keith

12 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Ah, not sure of your question, but I presume you mean the low frequency effects as part of a movie soundtrack and they would come from the source. 

Cheers,

Keith

Yep the .1 in a conventional 5.1 setup. 
The only way to access it is to have a sub connected to an AVRs sub out, or tell the AVR there is no sub. It will then redirect the LFE information to front left and right.  

29 minutes ago, Wood said:

tell the AVR there is no sub. It will then redirect the LFE information to front left and right.  

:thumb:.................yep, AVR or in my case with a blu-ray player such as my Oppo 105.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wood said:

But, the T16 is enticing for it's bigger driver. Interestingly they both have the same quoted frequency response, though I imagine the 16" driver would have more thump?

No, it would simply have more output i.e. maximum SPL.

Think of it as more top speed from a car.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 2

Went from 1 to 2, and now have 3 subs, 95% HT/Movie use. Much better bass quality and impact, and counter-intuitively less overpowering as more even bass through room. My preference is multiple subs.

Osborn make great subs, I used to own one many years ago. I use 2 Krix slimline subs up front due to  compact design, they are awesome as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wood said:

Depends "what is thump" .... but no, not when compared apples to apples.

A larger driver can (maybe) move more air, with (maybe) lower distortion.....  but when smaller driver and larger driver are corrected to the same frequency response, and used at SPL where they have low distortion..... then they will sound the same.

In your example, they don't need to be "corrected to the same frequency response" (as they already have the same) .... so it's simply a case of whether the smaller woofer will have low enough distoriton at your SPL.

4 hours ago, Wood said:

EDIT - the subs will be for LFE content only. They won't be used in my two channel setup.

The only thing that matters for either HT or music .... is whether the subwoofers have the correct levels and crossover to the main speakers, etc..... and whether they're being used at an SPL vs frequency which produces acceptable distortion.

Otherwise, sound is just sound.   Subwoofers that are setup well for HT will play great music, and vice versa.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

Depends "what is thump" .... but no, not when compared apples to apples.

A larger driver can (maybe) move more air, with (maybe) lower distortion.....  but when smaller driver and larger driver are corrected to the same frequency response, and used at SPL where they have low distortion..... then they will sound the same.

In your example, they don't need to be "corrected to the same frequency response" (as they already have the same) .... so it's simply a case of whether the smaller woofer will have low enough distoriton at your SPL.

The only thing that matters for either HT or music .... is whether the subwoofers have the correct levels and crossover to the main speakers, etc..... and whether they're being used at an SPL vs frequency which produces acceptable distortion.

Otherwise, sound is just sound.   Subwoofers that are setup well for HT will play great music, and vice versa.

Appreciate the detailed answer. Seems to me like the T12 is more than appropriate.

We generally tap out on the volume at around -20dB depending on the source.

1 hour ago, Wood said:

Appreciate the detailed answer. Seems to me like the T12 is more than appropriate.

We generally tap out on the volume at around -20dB depending on the source.

As other have said.... more smaller subwoofers, can have advantages over 1 bigger one.