Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

Since this is a Lumin specific thread, I'd like to say this here again:

Changing internal things inside a Lumin unit would void Lumin warranty.  All units shipped back for repair must have original parts inside and intact.

On 28/08/2021 at 8:25 PM, El Tel said:

press the back button to go back to the artists list, the list is now truncated to only 30 entries and not the full list.

We have found the cause and this will be fixed ASAP.

Please tell me the Android device brand / model and Android OS version, and how much RAM it has.

Edited by wklie

1 hour ago, wklie said:

Changing internal things inside a Lumin unit would void Lumin warranty.  All units shipped back for repair must have original parts inside and intact.

As there is quite a 3rd party industry (Teddy Pardo, Pixir power and SPower) now supplying Power upgrades why doesn't Lumin offer one as well or at least offer it as an package option on purchase ?  Even nicer would be a 12v input and external switch to enable internal/external power would be a nice feature though I assume risk of customers attaching the wrong power unit is something to take into account as beyond your control though you could certify power unit models as a cost to manufacturers if you didn't want to supply your own brand/rebrand.

I assume that is why you still have the U1 as the next model up, and fear the improved power supply mini would eat into its profits ?  It would be interesting to see how many people are actually upgrading from the mini to the U1 vs mini owners just adding a Power upgrade.  Probably hard to get those stats on upgrades but in my visiting forums around the world it seems a regular discussion point with many doing, and being happy with the upgrade.

And yes i factored no warranty into my decision, though its a quick job to swap the original power pack back into the unit.

Edited by Rosco8
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
44 minutes ago, wklie said:

We have found the cause and this will be fixed ASAP.

Please tell me the Android device brand / model and Android OS version, and how much RAM it has.

You guys... Wow.

OK, I tested (and replicated the issue) on 3 devices.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G - Android version 11 - 12GB RAM

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G - Android version 11 - 8GB RAM

Samsung Tab S2 (SM-T813) - Android version 7.0 - 3GB

Please let me know if I can help further.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by El Tel
Missing bracket.
  • Like 1

• Volunteer

So I mention a small UI issue which was certainly not a show-stopper on a Saturday night via unofficial channels and barely 6 hours into the next business day, I've been contacted and the issue has been resolved. I have been given a fix to try out and it works.

Customer service is fantastic. Lumin don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk as well.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love it when the manufacturer gets their sleeves rolled up. I had a small niggle with Roon group synchronised groups on my MSB DAC and got a patch within 24 hours with direct email contact from Jonathan the CEO. 

It’s nice to not just be a number with the niche manufacturers

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A new Lumin T2 user and happy with the change. Good to see this thread has been started as there seem to be a few Lumin users. Have had it running for a few weeks now. Have an issue with connection rates and still sorting this out but nothing to do with the product. Between the router and the T2 there are 2 wall plugs. I am wondering now if this may be blocking data flow. Am not very tech savvy. Will get a longer cord and try direct a connection between the 2. Have not connected to streaming yet as want to get the issue fixed. Am playing music direct from a USB HDD with 3 TB of music on it

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, JD1 said:

A new Lumin T2 user and happy with the change. Good to see this thread has been started as there seem to be a few Lumin users. Have had it running for a few weeks now. Have an issue with connection rates and still sorting this out but nothing to do with the product. Between the router and the T2 there are 2 wall plugs. I am wondering now if this may be blocking data flow. Am not very tech savvy. Will get a longer cord and try direct a connection between the 2. Have not connected to streaming yet as want to get the issue fixed. Am playing music direct from a USB HDD with 3 TB of music on it

Wall plugs? You got cat5 outlets around the house? Or are you using data over power (AC line extender type connection)?

1 hour ago, genkifd said:

for me the lumin app - artist still has issues. the cover art isnt the same as the artist.

This is from a streaming service? Or your own files? Connected how? UPnP?

Is connected by the LAN cable and I assume they are cat 5 plugs installed around the house. It has been suggested I need a Gigabyte switch but am trying to eliminate other areas that might be problem before outlaying on new hardware. I had a network error warning the other day and I jiggled one of the plugs and it came good. It was this that made think that the extra 2 plugs involved in the setup may not be helping. 

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, JD1 said:

Is connected by the LAN cable and I assume they are cat 5 plugs installed around the house. It has been suggested I need a Gigabyte switch but am trying to eliminate other areas that might be problem before outlaying on new hardware. I had a network error warning the other day and I jiggled one of the plugs and it came good. It was this that made think that the extra 2 plugs involved in the setup may not be helping. 

Nah, it won't be a distance thing. It's either your patch leads, or more likely the sockets themselves. The 8 cores in a cat5/6 lead all need to terminate in a specific order and be crimped (in the case of the lead) or "punched-down" in the case of wall sockets. Sounds like dodgy in wall wiring. It's pretty easy to sort yourself. Plenty of reference info on Ethernet cabling out there.

Thanks Terry. The easiest way is to get a 10 metre cable and go direct from router to the T2. This will eliminate the in wall setup. Was put in by the electrician so very well may be incorrect. He got one of the speaker cables wrong and that's a 50 50 chance so with 8 cables odds increase dramatically.

3 hours ago, genkifd said:

for me the lumin app - artist still has issues. the cover art isnt the same as the artist.

For NAS files via MinimServer or local files, we just show what is in the tags.  If there is a metadata problem, you'll need to fix the tags or/and folder.jpg file, then reissue MinimServer Rescan.

Edited by wklie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JD1 said:

Thanks Terry. The easiest way is to get a 10 metre cable and go direct from router to the T2. This will eliminate the in wall setup. Was put in by the electrician so very well may be incorrect. He got one of the speaker cables wrong and that's a 50 50 chance so with 8 cables odds increase dramatically.

Buy a punch down tool from Bunnings and just redo it yourself, ensuring you use the same pairing standard at each end (eg t568a or t568b).

pull the wall plate off, remove the cat5 keystone and pull the 8 wires off. Reterminate the wires in the right places based on colour coding printed on keystone or follow this: https://www.cableorganizer.com/learning-center/how-to/how-to-wire-keystone-jack.htm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-professional-idc-punch-down-tool_p0083500

• Like 1

• Volunteer
44 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

Buy a punch down tool from Bunnings and just redo it yourself, ensuring you use the same pairing standard at each end (eg t568a or t568b).

pull the wall plate off, remove the cat5 keystone and pull the 8 wires off. Reterminate the wires in the right places based on colour coding printed on keystone or follow this: https://www.cableorganizer.com/learning-center/how-to/how-to-wire-keystone-jack.htm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-professional-idc-punch-down-tool_p0083500

Thanks for stepping-in - I was on the karsi earlier (where I do my best work!) and was going to dig-out the correct reference info when I got the time, but you beat me to it.

I wouldn't even bother with a punchdown tool - in times of need where I haven't had my lineman set with me, I've just used the edge of an old credit card (or store loyalty card or similar). 😉

No disrespect to sparkies, but they wouldn't know the right termination layout if it bit them on the arse. I've had numerous linemen just terminate all the pairs next to each other rather than do the correct termination where pins 3-6 are split properly and 4-5 are reversed. I've also had one try to terminate two Cat5 in-wall cables onto a single punchdown block behind one faceplate outlet - whilst that would work, it then negates the architecture of duplex switching and relies wholly on CSMA/CD mechanisms; we're not cavemen anymore ffs.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wklie said:

For NAS files via MinimServer or local files, we just show what is in the tags.  If there is a metadata problem, you'll need to fix the tags or/and folder.jpg file, then reissue MinimServer Rescan.

i dont think this is the case as Bubble upnp app works great.

• Volunteer
39 minutes ago, genkifd said:

i dont think this is the case as Bubble upnp app works great.

To be fair, Lumin do recommend using minimserver.

I had the generic Synology Media Server package running UPnP for me originally when I first connected up my T2 and the artwork was problematic. The moment I stopped Synology's package and installed/configured Minimserver, everything worked.

• Like 1

The android app development and firmware is very good!!  Over the past 12 months it kept getting better and better. Initially i was getting so many issues with phone freezing up, app crashing, now its rock stable !

I've also done custom LPS mod to my T2, i think this has made substantial improvement.

Only reason why i will be selling this incredible streamer / dac is the lack of digital input, cant utilize onboard dac.  I didnt think i would need it, but occasionally i do  especially while playing with REW and umik. :( 

20210314_181102.thumb.jpg.d6c5ccb271cd82d2dfb4832520ba9bb8.jpg

33 minutes ago, El Tel said:

To be fair, Lumin do recommend using minimserver.

I had the generic Synology Media Server package running UPnP for me originally when I first connected up my T2 and the artwork was problematic. The moment I stopped Synology's package and installed/configured Minimserver, everything worked.

thanks for the suggestion but im not going to change my media server just to setup a miniserver recommended by Lumin as this server is used for many applications.