Jump to content

Network switches and cables


Recommended Posts

Now, it's like best of both worlds without breaking the banks. 😁 Thanks bro for the recommendation,  I'll be trialing a Viard coax too. Btw, we've not promoting fake cables but rather, it's a trial & error stuff. 😀

Edited by Jsen18
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



10 hours ago, TDX said:

But I need to experience is a good & cheap ethernet cable to go with it? 😁

"Good"" and "cheap" are relative terms.  As well something that is cheap probably will not be good what ever that may be.  Interestiungly the cables that I now use are half the cost of Audioquest Diamond that I previously used.  I consider them better than the AQ.  It all comes down to trying various cables and how much you want to spend.

 

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After doing some research, Viard Hd & AIM Electronic (AE) Lan cables caught my interest. Some says AE is better than AQ but it might not match my system. As for Viard HD, I was using their Silver usb cable previously. I might say their ethernet cables might suit my taste better if there's a resale unit. 😋 

Edited by Jsen18
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I did find the fake Nordost Odin was a little bright initially,  though with no grain so still listenable.  After leaving music streaming for two days though the brightness is gone. Just incredible fine detail adding to overall realism. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I did find the fake Nordost Odin was a little bright initially,  though with no grain so still listenable.  After leaving music streaming for two days though the brightness is gone. Just incredible fine detail adding to overall realism. 

Has just ordered 1m to try out. Hope it'll stop the itch & save some $$ to get a better coax. 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too much silver in a system messes with the sound , though a little here and there gives incredible insight into the music. Just switched out my silver USB for a Curious Evolved..... See if I like the curious better with the Nordost Odin CAT8 in the chain. Such subtle changes at this stage but makes the difference between enjoyment and boredom  :)

Edited by MattyW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Assisi said:

"Good"" and "cheap" are relative terms.  As well something that is cheap probably will not be good what ever that may be.  Interestiungly the cables that I now use are half the cost of Audioquest Diamond that I previously used.  I consider them better than the AQ.  It all comes down to trying various cables and how much you want to spend.

 

John

Which one are you using now? AR?

Link to comment
Share on other sites



1 hour ago, TDX said:

Which one are you using now? AR?

Not AR.  I buy my cables from Sound Gallery in Mackinnon in Melbourne.  John the owner makes the cables up from bulk  Acoustic Revive red cable terminated with Telegartner plugs.  Serious outcome.  Approx half the cost of the AR Diamond.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Not AR.  I buy my cables from Sound Gallery in Mackinnon in Melbourne.  John the owner makes the cables up from bulk  Acoustic Revive red cable terminated with Telegartner plugs.  Serious outcome.  Approx half the cost of the AR Diamond.

John

Sorry I mean AR for acoustic revive.  Didn’t realise the other one was AR (audio request) as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



10 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

Sorry, just to clarify, are you saying the Nordost or the fake Nordost shields each strand individually?

Fake Nordost Odin.  To my knowledge there is no Odin range of CAT8 cables 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

Pretty sure the fake Nordost Odin Cat 8 is the same as this AmpCom cable.

 

 

I hope not as I'm using AmpCom Cat8 between my router & switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



4 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Correct, there is a new Valhalla 2 CAT8 cable however.

The construction of the cable itself actually looks very similar. No idea if the thickness of the silver plating is the same though I rather doubt it.

 

Interestingly as these burned in I was able to put the Gothic Audio Semperfi "The Outsider" USB cable back in. To my ears these are noticeably better than the Curious Evolved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/08/2021 at 6:04 PM, MattyW said:

The Nordost shields each individual strand separately

How did you reach this conclusion?

Also, the Nordost website does not seem to mention the material used for the conductors of the Valhalla 2 ethernet cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dbastin said:

How did you reach this conclusion?

Also, the Nordost website does not seem to mention the material used for the conductors of the Valhalla 2 ethernet cable.

 

It's explained on the material on their site.  Silver plated copper,  shielding wrapped around the wire in such a way resistance is similar to an air dialectic both improving conductivity and reducing interference. Copying this structure is why I was interested in trying the fakes in the first place. Sounds pretty unique to me :)

Edited by MattyW
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
To Top