AMP/DAC combo for HD660s

As the title suggest I'm after a DAC/AMP combo for a pair of Sennheiser HD660s. Budget is $500-$800. Willing to go separates if I have to but would rather not. Considering buying an SMSL SH-9 THXAAA-888  or Topping A90 and using my Geshelli labs DAC or using my K3 as a DAC only until I buy something better.  Would it be worth buying anything better to get more out of them or would the K3 be fine? Cheers.

Edited by Joshua Randall
2 minutes ago, Joshua Randall said:

Never used any of their Schiit (sure that's been done a million times) but from the research I did a while back Topping etc are better options. Depends on price though.

That research is wrong sorry. No sugar coating.

You probably ended up reading something on the ASR forums.

Most Topping and SMSL type products sound pretty similar. They are cheap, feature rich, and have very low measurable distortion. In no way does this correspond to musical enjoyment. They are cheap though.

Schiit Asgard is a lovely little amp. Doesn't sound lifeless like a lot of the Topping/SMSL.

To prove that making a device that measure well and satisfied Amir at ASR, Schiit made the Modius and the Heresy line. Amor liked them. Schiit proved its not hard to make something that sounds like all the other crap, for just as cheap.

Modius + Asgard still my pick for that budget and those cans.

1 hour ago, Joshua Randall said:

As the title suggest I'm after a DAC/AMP combo for a pair of Sennheiser HD660s. Budget is $500-$800. Willing to go separates if I have to but would rather not. Considering buying an SMSL SH-9 THXAAA-888  or Topping A90 and using my Geshelli labs DAC or using my K3 as a DAC only until I buy something better.  Would it be worth buying anything better to get more out of them or would the K3 be fine? Cheers.

If you can wait for one to pop up used (and stretch budget) I can recommend an RME ADI-2 DAC.

You should be able to demo in store when lockdown ends (DJ City, Store DJ etc).

image.thumb.png.d872e3c0342aadbdc4687526966ecd8d.png

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

That research is wrong sorry. No sugar coating.

An opinion stated as a fact - which it isn't. 

There are plenty of non ASR reviews in multiple setups that would suggest otherwise.  It is unfair to dismiss all the reviewers efforts in a single line.

While I agree some of the some of the Chi_fi options certainly don't have the 'character' of some of the other options discussed, they should also not be dismissed outright.

Ultimately it is your ears that should make the decision.

Gibbo

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

An opinion stated as a fact - which it isn't. 

There are plenty of non ASR reviews in multiple setups that would suggest otherwise.  It is unfair to dismiss all the reviewers efforts in a single line.

While I agree some of the some of the Chi_fi options certainly don't have the 'character' of some of the other options discussed, they should also not be dismissed outright.

Ultimately it is your ears that should make the decision.

Gibbo

Maybe re-read what I wrote.

He stated his research said Topping was better.

I said that is wrong. That is a fact. You just said the same thing, it's what your ears prefer. Research + Topping + Better =/= Fact. You inferred that as something it wasn't.

I like Class A most the time. I think cheap Topping and THX sounds like crap. Opinion.

He needs to listen to what he can, if he can. But definately don't be relying on someone who spits out 20 graphs, ranks everything, plugs in two different headphones , says if they distort or not, then gives a tick or a cross. Same person doesn't rate tube amps.

Use your own ears.

Edited by Bengineer
16 hours ago, rand129678 said:

If you can wait for one to pop up used (and stretch budget) I can recommend an RME ADI-2 DAC.

You should be able to demo in store when lockdown ends (DJ City, Store DJ etc).

image.thumb.png.d872e3c0342aadbdc4687526966ecd8d.png

Oooft 2k is a fair chunk of change. About to buy a house and putting together a 2 channel system in the lounge so not sure if I wanna spend that much on my desktop set up.  Is this the same thing? Way cheaper than others I've found. https://www.soundseasy.com.au/products/rme-adi-2-fs-2-channel-hi-end-ad-da-converter?variant=32395895930979&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that one does USB too - top gear, probably never change it - good luck with finding a used one

I have the Ayre Codex and it's also very good with nearly all 'phones but it's also a bit hard to find 2nd hand altho a some appear on Audiogon at times - quite expensive new.