Cart for new Rega P3. Ortofon 2M Black?

Hi all. Need a cart for my P3 and was thinking the Blackie. Any other suggestions for around or under $1k (MM only at this stage). I need something warmish to neutral with high output - 4.5mV+. Arm is standard P3 flavour (RB330). Phono pre will be a Leben RS-30EQ for the time being. Amp - Plinius 9200, Speakers Harbeth SHL5P XD. Thoughts?

Cheers

blakey72

The Black is not warm it is very detailed, neutral and dynamic. I found my Stanton 881s much warmer but a pain to set and difficult to find a good one these days. 
The Nagaoka could be worth a look. There is an Australian dealer. 

Edited by PKay
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PKay said:

The Black is not warm it is very detailed, neutral and dynamic. I found my Stanton 881s much warmer but a pain to set and difficult to find a good one these days. 

Yeah Neutral is ok for me, difficult to set up might be a deal breaker. I'm new to setting up carts (well done about 5). I'm thinking the Black would sound something like my old AT150MLX. Need a new Stylus for it, impossible to get :/ 

Just now, blakey72 said:

Yeah Neutral is ok for me, difficult to set up might be a deal breaker. I'm new to setting up carts (well done about 5). I'm thinking the Black would sound something like my old AT150MLX. Need a new Stylus for it, impossible to get :/ 

Give @cafe lattea call he may be able to retip it for you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PKay said:

Give @cafe lattea call he may be able to retip it for you. 

Nah already worked a few things out with him. I think the suspension was dead or something. He 'grafted' it (cantilever and tip) onto a Grado Blue which broke the other night, caught a cleaning cloth on it somehow. That one will likely get fixed when I get around to it but it's going on another deck ;) 

2m black would be nice with the rega and leben. 

I used to have rp6 with 2m black and leben, sounds very nice, keep 8n mind that leben is on the warm side, I also have the mp500 which doesn't sound as nice with the black imo.

9 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I do think if you like the AT150MLX then you probably would like the much cheaper AT VM540ML / 740ML.

I have both.  The 150MLX is certainly a special cartridge with that boron cantilever, capable of magic sounds with the right recording.  However in my system at least it is brighter than the 540ML , and in many respects the newer cartridge is a much better all rounder,  keeping most of the same sound signature without sacrificing any detail . As a result,  in my system,  the 540ML is my reliable but fantastic sounding  daily driver,  the 150MLX is my single malt whisky for a rainy night.   Both have a microline / microridge stylus.  

The ATN VMN40ml stylus will fit straight on the AT150MLX , so you can experiment with this combo fairly cheaply.  The VMN40ML has a higher recommended VTF,  but otherwise there will be a minimum of change for set up on your deck.   

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 9:49 PM, blakey72 said:

Nah already worked a few things out with him. I think the suspension was dead or something. He 'grafted' it (cantilever and tip) onto a Grado Blue which broke the other night, caught a cleaning cloth on it somehow. That one will likely get fixed when I get around to it but it's going on another deck ;) 

Send it to be let me see what I can do.

Chris

• Like 1

Ended up picking up a 2M Black for a good price. Just spinning the first now ;) 

Stack4.jpg.ae8eba733fa255c53b1e1bdc61ad9b89.jpg

On 30/07/2021 at 7:02 PM, cafe latte said:

Send it to be let me see what I can do.

Chris

Yep was going to do just that mate ;) 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 9:45 PM, blakey72 said:

Retip..??