Greatest American Singer Songwriter

Greatest American Singer Songwriters  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

He is not a renowned singer but he does warble a tune now and then. Some of his efforts can be found on YouTube and Discogs.

A couple of other people came to mind as I was cooking lunch: Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Do people cook Lunch?!? I thought sangers were for lunch... 🤣

Guest thethrowback

I'm proud of myself as I knocked up a sweet potato frittata and it tastes yummy. The way things are going I will be on MasterChef!👨🏼‍🍳

Lionel Richie is a very successful singer song-writer. John Legend as well. 

In a band context Don Henley and Glenn Frey wrote most of the Eagles hit songs, and worth a mention. 

As for female there are Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton, Alicia Keys etc. 

Edited by LHC
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Anybody mention Paul Simon yet?

I am pleased you mentioned him. It made me feel better.

I was feeling really queasy when someone suggested Lionel Richie:sick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rantan said:

I was feeling really queasy when someone suggested Lionel Richie:sick:

Why? Lionel Richie was the 2016 recipient of The Johnny Mercer Award, the Songwriters Hall Of Fame’s highest honor. Surely that would qualify him in a discussion of the greatest. 

• Like 1

It may be helpful to list the previous winners of the Johnny Mercer Award, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songwriters_Hall_of_Fame#Johnny_Mercer_Award

The Johnny Mercer Award is the highest honor bestowed by the event. It goes to writers already inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame for having established a history of outstanding creative works

1980 – Frank Sinatra
1981 – Yip Harburg
1982 – Harold Arlen
1983 – Sammy Cahn
1985 – Alan Jay Lerner
1986 – Mitchell Parish
1987 – Jerry Herman
1990 – Jerry Bock & Sheldon Harnick
1991 – Betty Comden & Adolph Green
1992 – Burton Lane
1993 – Jule Styne
1994 – Irving Caesar
1995 – Cy Coleman
1996 – Burt Bacharach & Hal David
1997 – Alan and Marilyn Bergman
1998 – Paul Simon
1999 – Stephen Sondheim
2000 – Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
2001 – Billy Joel
2002 – Carole King
2003 – Jimmy Webb
2004 – Stevie Wonder
2005 – Smokey Robinson
2006 – Kris Kristofferson
2007 – Dolly Parton
2008 – Paul Anka
2009 – Holland–Dozier–Holland
2010 – Phil Collins
2011 – Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil
2013 – Elton John & Bernie Taupin
2014 – Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff
2015 – Van Morrison
2016 – Lionel Richie
2017 – Alan Menken
2018 – Neil Diamond
2019 – Carole Bayer Sager

2020 - Paul Williams

I underlined in the list the American singer song-writers. Note that this list is dominated by acclaimed song writers, so it is a unique honor for a singer to win this award. Notably though Bob Dylan has not yet won this award, but he could in the future. 

EDIT: removed Van Morrison as he is not strictly an American 

Edited by LHC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LHC said:

It may be helpful to list the previous winners of the Johnny Mercer Award, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songwriters_Hall_of_Fame#Johnny_Mercer_Award

The Johnny Mercer Award is the highest honor bestowed by the event. It goes to writers already inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame for having established a history of outstanding creative works

1980 – Frank Sinatra
1981 – Yip Harburg
1982 – Harold Arlen
1983 – Sammy Cahn
1985 – Alan Jay Lerner
1986 – Mitchell Parish
1987 – Jerry Herman
1992 – Burton Lane
1993 – Jule Styne
1994 – Irving Caesar
1995 – Cy Coleman
1998 – Paul Simon
1999 – Stephen Sondheim
2001 – Billy Joel
2002 – Carole King
2003 – Jimmy Webb
2004 – Stevie Wonder
2005 – Smokey Robinson
2007 – Dolly Parton
2008 – Paul Anka
2010 – Phil Collins
2015 – Van Morrison
2016 – Lionel Richie
2017 – Alan Menken
2018 – Neil Diamond

2020 - Paul Williams

I underlined in the list the American singer song-writers. Note that this list is dominated by acclaimed song writers, so it is a unique honor for a singer to win this award. Notably though Bob Dylan has not yet won this award, but he could in the future. 

It's a good list, no doubt. I'd only observe that Van Morrison isn't normally regarded as American - but it is true that he made his name there with his Astral Weeks album an enduring influence on music.

Anyway, if Neil Young is eligible then I'm now voting for Van Morrison😂😂😂

Honorary mentions to Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Nina Simone, Neil Diamond and MANY others 🙏🙏

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LHC said:

1980 – Frank Sinatra
1981 – Yip Harburg
1982 – Harold Arlen
1983 – Sammy Cahn
1985 – Alan Jay Lerner
1986 – Mitchell Parish
1987 – Jerry Herman
1992 – Burton Lane
1993 – Jule Styne
1994 – Irving Caesar
1995 – Cy Coleman
1998 – Paul Simon
1999 – Stephen Sondheim
2001 – Billy Joel
2002 – Carole King
2003 – Jimmy Webb
2004 – Stevie Wonder
2005 – Smokey Robinson
2007 – Dolly Parton
2008 – Paul Anka
2010 – Phil Collins
2015 – Van Morrison
2016 – Lionel Richie
2017 – Alan Menken
2018 – Neil Diamond

2020 - Paul Williams

A couple that jump out but aren’t underlined is Burt Bacharach and Hal David, who I’m pretty sure are Americans. Sinatra was a great singer, but did he write many songs?😲

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Sinatra was a great singer, but did he write many songs?😲

Good point, I was surprised to see him on the list as well. According to the citation here (https://www.johnnymercerfoundation.org/johnny-mercer/songwriters-hall-of-fame/) it appears to be an honorary recognition for his support of songwriters.

In 1980, The Johnny Mercer Award was created in his memory. It was originally to honor excellence in lyric writing, but was later expanded to include composers as well.

Frank Sinatra was the first winner of The Johnny Mercer Award. Not only was he a champion of songwriters, but he wrote the lyrics to some hit songs himself (“I’m a Fool to Want You” and “This Love of Mine”). About songwriters Frank was once quoted as saying, “If it weren’t for you fellas, I’d be pushing pencils in Hoboken.” He later became chairman of the board of The Songwriters Hall of Fame, where he held this title from 1993-1998.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

A couple that jump out but aren’t underlined is Burt Bacharach and Hal David, who I’m pretty sure are Americans. Sinatra was a great singer, but did he write many songs?😲

Cheers,

Keith

If we go there, Elvis Presley wrote a few songs, but was obviously more of a vocalist. Burt B is at the other end of the spectrum, I think.

Suppose the OP is looking for someone who covers both bases.  Course it gets rather tricky once you have to tease the individual contribution from the brilliant bands that surround them, but then we can't get too scientific about this😀

• Like 2

Dylan. Hands down. There is a reason he won the Nobel. 

Listen to Murder Most Foul. A novel in a song. And that's his latest... like Now.

Choosing just one is hard, I like a lot of them and many more.

We all have our favourite authors but at the same time can't deny that Shakespeare is the Giant. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Cheers,

Keith

Just a handful, which he co-wrote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Frank_Sinatra

1 hour ago, LHC said:

Love the fact that all these  great artists are linked with the name that gave us "hooray for hollywood ''  :classic_smile: So hard to judge the big picture ; whether the criteria is how prolific the artist or influence in a genre or number of hit songs in the billboard 100 or something....

As it is also influenced by the age of the one judging I was happy to see Neil Diamond mentioned as he also wrote classic pop songs for the Monkees 🤩 If Burt Bacharach and Hal David is permitted I would link the careers of  Petula Clark ; Dionne Warwick , Gene Pitney and Dusty Springfield to varying degrees [not just vague influences but actual hit songs is what I like ,,,] 

Influential  on others though as a criteria  Dylan is the pick; love the introspective Doors like melody 👌

• Like 2

A bit off topic

The American songwriters mentioned in the  award list above (2011 – Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil) wrote a piece that Rick Beato ranked as the most complex pop song ever

Edited by LHC
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Dylan. Hands down. There is a reason he won the Nobel. 

Listen to Murder Most Foul. A novel in a song. And that's his latest... like Now.

Choosing just one is hard, I like a lot of them and many more.

We all have our favourite authors but at the same time can't deny that Shakespeare is the Giant. 

Yes that is why I understand Dylan would be the top one on the voting - even though overall I am not a fan apart from the Greatest Hits material as I find it is not "musical" enough for me but more poetic - but I do not deny his ranking as you said Shakespeare is a Giant too & yet I do not read his work either. 

I chose Prince as he picks all my boxes that I enjoy and he will always be my "numero uno" or as he says "on the one" or "Ain't nobody can do it like Prince can"...........💜

• Like 2

5 hours ago, April Snow said:

Yes that is why I understand Dylan would be the top one on the voting - even though overall I am not a fan apart from the Greatest Hits material as I find it is not "musical" enough for me but more poetic - but I do not deny his ranking as you said Shakespeare is a Giant too & yet I do not read his work either. 

I chose Prince as he picks all my boxes that I enjoy and he will always be my "numero uno" or as he says "on the one" or "Ain't nobody can do it like Prince can"...........💜

I think Prince is a genius. No question...

On Dylan I am / was in the same boat. But listening to his new album has been an eye opener. Also his recent webcast (Shadow Kingdom) featuring a lot of his older stuff. Re visited it sounds very fresh. Both are on high rotation here lately. 

• Like 1