CD Transports: End of an era

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, aechmea said:

Not a very valid thing to believe.

He used Artemis Sephyra second track Love of the game CD, there is only one cd made of this and it was done in 2012 right bang in the middle of the maxing out on compression years for anything digital. Wonder if the master was as compressed, and the vinyl taken from it.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Artemis&album=Sephyra

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/47627

Very dead sounding everything's squashed down to the same level, good for in the car, or if there's background noise, could be good if your half deaf and can't hear quite passages, shame I like it hopefully a re-issue cd will get the master the vinyl was taken from, and leave it uncompressed for a reissue cd.

They did the same with all Adele's albums, all squashed up. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/1tnz3QpVFBDgUO1fQ0VpVM?si=bfc0b0aa0c2d4779

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

On 28/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, aechmea said:

I've recently done my first vinyl rip of the first vinyl I've ever purchased for myself.

This track (Holy Wars ...The Puishment Due) by the band Megadeth was pre loudness war (1990).

The CD and Vinyl are apparently both from the same original master tape. 

The Vinyl rip was de-clicked in Audacity just like in the video you posted.

CD (DR 13)

image.thumb.png.05d5efef50d2405f2caa7c2e78a4fd7b.png

Vinyl (DR 13)

image.thumb.png.3fe99c62c8a2269499115e60dfc5834e.png

So quite obviously there are no spurious artifacts in my Vinyl rip and subsequently an identical DR value of 13 to match the CD.

So I think this demonstrates that it can be done.

I don't know what the guy in your video did (Ian Shepherd) but all I did was hit the record button and sit back.

My cheap as turntable has a USB output which I use directly into my PC for playback and recording, so nothing fancy.

Perhaps this aided in seemingly "doing it right"?

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Satanica said:

So quite obviously there are no spurious artifacts in my Vinyl rip and subsequently an identical DR value of 13 to match the CD.

Yeah, he screwed something up, (accidently or :classic_rolleyes:) if both his vinyl and cd were transferred uncompressed and came from the same untouched digital master. 

Cheers George  

Edited by georgehifi
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
On 30/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, Lazz said:

Everyone is out of stock including the importer until July. I intend getting one with the upgraded power system from Linear in the States.

I have about 10,000 Redbook CD’s - remember when you could get those high quality classical music box sets on Amazon for amazing prices?

At the moment I have a Marantz CD6006 as my source and it’s fine, but I’m hoping the RS2 with it’s newly developed mechanism will bring that last bit of SQ. 👍

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 16/10/2021 at 6:31 AM, SonicArt said:

It would be nice if CEC had done an SACD belt drive transport, along the lines of the current TL2N would be nice, I think they are simply too boutique to be able to fund it though unfortunately.

That, or perhaps the fact, that SACD format requires a DVD drive which spins the disc at a much higher RPM rate.

Bringing the SACD to its rated speed and then stopping it would not be easy with belt drive. Even speed changes with track jumps would be a challenge.

On 18/01/2022 at 11:56 AM, Satanica said:

The Vinyl rip was de-clicked in Audacity just like in the video you posted.

What commands do you need to do, to 'declick', using Audacity, Paul?

5 hours ago, rockeater said:

That, or perhaps the fact, that SACD format requires a DVD drive which spins the disc at a much higher RPM rate.

Yes well the obvious things are often overlooked when we are dreaming 😏