New JVC LASER Series

https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/jvc-deep-dive-webinar

deep dive webinar signup ... 

With,  JVC National Product Trainer Chris Deutsch, audio / video expert and calibrator Kris Deering of Deep Dive A/V, and moderator John Schuermann of The Screening Room.

two sessions that can see 1st Sept 4am or 12:30pm AEST...

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, betty boop said:

https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/jvc-deep-dive-webinar

deep dive webinar signup ... 

With,  JVC National Product Trainer Chris Deutsch, audio / video expert and calibrator Kris Deering of Deep Dive A/V, and moderator John Schuermann of The Screening Room.

two sessions that can see 1st Sept 4am or 12:30pm AEST...

It will be Sep 2 over here. 🙂

• Like 1

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/31/08/2021/jvc-dla-n5-n6-dla-nz7-dla-nz8-et-dla-nz9-nouvelle-gamme-jvc-2021-2022/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/new-4k-projectors-coming-2021.3169568/post-60991375

Interested to see what local will be for the NZ8 and NZ9.   Any idea how long it will take for local pricing to be announced?

Looks like the NZ7 is just the N5 with a laser?

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 2

indeed .. .cat out the bag :D 

details also below quoting "frohlich" on AVS,

"JVC DLA-NP5 JVC DLA-NZ7 JVC DLA-NZ8 JVC DLA-NZ9.
It is therefore four new references that JVC will officially unveil on September 1, 2021. 1 native 4K projector lamp (DLA-NP5) and 3 models equipped with a laser light source (NZ7, NZ8 and NZ9) as I told you. indicated here (JVC; 4 new projectors, click on the link).

The DLA-NZ7, NZ8 and NZ9 should arrive in stores at the end of 2021 and it will be necessary to wait until spring 2022 to be able to obtain the DLA-NP5. The NZ series will be 8K-e-shiftX for the NZ8 and NZ9 and 8K-e-shift for the NZ7.

The hull remains close to the previous series and most of the existing options are renewed (dynamic management of HDR and HDR10 + metadata, Clear Motion Drive, Gaming mode, etc.).

Here are the first characteristics and prices of these new projectors:

JVC DLA-NP5: € 6,499, UHP 4K 120IPS lamp projector, 1900 lumens brightness with 40,000: 1 contrast.

JVC DLA-NZ7: € 9999, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shift simulation, 8K 60 IPS / 4K 120 IPS, brightness of 2200 lumens, native contrast of 40,000: 1.

JVC DLA-NZ8: € 14,999, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shiftX simulation, 8K 60 IPS / 4K 120 IPS, cinema filter to increase Gamut, brightness of 2,500 lumens with native contrast of 80,000: 1.

And finally the top of the range, the JVC DLA-NZ9 at € 24,999, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shiftX simulation, 8K 60 IPS / 4K 120 IPS, cinema filter to increase Gamut, brightness of 3000 lumens with a native contrast of 100,000: 1."

cut pasting the charts below...incase get taken down elsewhere :D 

image.png.ab00a0ac40556326541b70d46b3eb85b.png

image.thumb.png.6a959b9c24ebf466034d14aeba8a13d9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I must add too... full kudos to JVC.. yet again they have jumped the competition (sony, epson, benq, optoma) in the hdmi stakes with a hdmi 2.1  and 8k/ 4k 120 capability. wonder what else in hdmi feature set they will include ...

looks like need to go all ways upto NZ8 at a lot of money ! 15k euro ! (sony 790es money) to get an N7 level contrast as is now with 80,000 : 1 ..and laser. will keep value in current lamp N7's :D and same goes with current lamp N9's have to spend 24999 euro about 7k euro up from current n9 

but yeesh if thats the price and 10k euro for the NZ7 ... sony is well and truly in trouble id suggest with their just released 790Es... JVC Nz7 is going to cause a bit of trouble for sony....as is the Nz8 on other side...

I am guessing that JVC will be aiming at a price in Australia for the laser JVC DLA-NZ7 of around $15-17K . Sony's price for their VPL-VW790ES  ( $23k)  follows the price point  originally set for the 760ES a few years ago when their was no direct competition in that space. With JVC and perhaps Epson entering the sub $20k  laser projector  market,  there will be some serious competition.

1 hour ago, wooferocau said:

This time SONY are in serious trouble.. This release really will be a game changer... 

People are in for some VERY impressive upgrades...😀

hopefully gets sony going, competition is only a good thing ... their 760ES was ground breaking ... but since then they seem to have been asleep at the wheel ...

they cannot bring out a next model with a different model number a price hike and nothing much else to show for it :D 

all that said .. sony does have an established laser line up... 790Es and above...

JVC needs to prove themselves on laser at this price point and also their hdmi 2.1 implementation. so for many am sure they leave quite a few questions un answered and uncertainty still..

Edited by betty boop

If these new JVC laser models turn out to be as good as the specs would indicate, I reckon my 790ES might be listed in the classifieds sooner than I thought! NZ8 and NZ9 definitely have my attention. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, xPLAYRZx said:

If these new JVC laser models turn out to be as good as the specs would indicate, I reckon my 790ES might be listed in the classifieds sooner than I thought! NZ8 and NZ9 definitely have my attention. Thanks for sharing.

definitely be some gains in that move I suspect, the lens in the N9 would be a step up from the 790ES more in line with ARC-F lens on the 890Es... the NZ8/NZ9 is also next level in contrast. plus theres dynamic tone mapping, p3 filter. am interested to see how iris is configured on these lasers ? as N7/n9 are dual iris. Some interesting things I'm also seeing in the table above is HDR10+ support ? clearly no DV... but i think thats more dolby thats been reticent to allow domestic projectors access to DV ! 

all that said ... I think JVC also needs to prove themselves with this new range so I wouldnt be too quick to jump :) thats just me cautious with brand new models and new tech though :) 

Buying "the best" pJ for any situation is usually a question of timing .  Sony introduced the 760ES over three years ago and have had the  native 4K laser market to themselves since then.  At the time, JVC  were still producing 1080p E-shift projectors as their mainstay.  Now it seems that the new JVC laser PJ's  will jump ahead of Sony but it would be a mistake to think that Sony will not do anything about it. 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

the NZ8/NZ9 is also next level in contrast. plus theres dynamic tone mapping, p3 filter. am interested to see how iris is configured on these lasers ? as N7/n9 are dual iris. Some interesting things I'm also seeing in the table above is HDR10+ support ? clearly no DV... but i think thats more dolby thats been reticent to allow domestic projectors access to DV ! 

Chances are good they will avail themselves of dynamic laser dimming with something simpler than the dual irises of the n7/9 ime guessing Al . Will be interesting to see if its quicker responding to different scenes :classic_smile:

Yes doubtful if I have any HDR10+ discs ? They probably saved a few $ with the license free codec rather than DV 💰

I think many will be happy with the NZ7 as its got 93% dci-p3 coverage with 2200 lumens ; a lot better light for HDR than the globe models coming later..  If waiting for those it looks like their throttled to 4k/60 hdmi 2.0 bandwidth 🤮 I think JVC are giving a bit of a hint here 😃

They have been very clever leaving out any CEC control as that should simplify reliability if they institute E-ARC with the 2 hdmi 2.1 inputs available [ and any compressed 8k streaming services that are mooted ] The even higher lumen output of the NZ8 should hopefully nullify the colour gamut filters effect for those who want 100% dcip3 and want to pay for it [and the better glass lens] 

• Like 2
Just now, cwt said:

Chances are good they will avail themselves of dynamic laser dimming with something simpler than the dual irises of the n7/9 ime guessing Al . Will be interesting to see if its quicker responding to different scenes :classic_smile:

Yes doubtful if I have any HDR10+ discs ? They probably saved a few $ with the license free codec rather than DV 💰

I think many will be happy with the NZ7 as its got 93% dci-p3 coverage with 2200 lumens ; a lot better light for HDR than the globe models coming later..  If waiting for those it looks like their throttled to 4k/60 hdmi 2.0 bandwidth 🤮 I think JVC are giving a bit of a hint here 😃

They have been very clever leaving out any CEC control as that should simplify reliability if they institute E-ARC with the 2 hdmi 2.1 inputs available [ and any compressed 8k streaming services that are mooted ] The even higher lumen output of the NZ8 should hopefully nullify the colour gamut filters effect for those who want 100% dcip3 and want to pay for it [and the better glass lens] 

yep HDR10+ is a definition of dead duck isnt it :D so not sure value of that... I too like you cant recall any or many discs have hdr10+... no relevance to me :D 

interesting pick up on CEC.. and agree for those with larger screens and want to use the p3 filer the Nz8 will be good choice...

• Like 1

ps good summation from David Boulet on avs... helping with "old vs new" 

"interesting FYI for those who might be trying to "connect the dots" from the old to the new series, when viewing the basic foundation of features/performance like native contrast (and ignoring price) it shakes out something like this:

OLD -> NEW
NX5 -> N5/N6 (for bulb) or NZ7 (for laser) [@40,000:1 native contrast, 65mm lens]
NX7 -> NZ8 [80,000:1 native contrast, P3 filter, and 65mm "high contrast" lens]
NX9 -> NZ9 [100,000:1 native contrast, P3 filter, and top-tier 100mm lens]"

"JVC DLA-N5/N6: 6499€, UHP 4K 120FPS lamp projector, brightness of 1800 lumens with a contrast of 40,000:1 (N5) and 45000:1 (N6).

JVC DLA-NZ7: 9999€, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shift simulation, 8K 60 FPS / 4K 120 FPS, brightness of 2200 lumens, native contrast of 40,000:1.

JVC DLA-NZ8: 14999€, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shiftX simulation, 8K 60 FPS / 4K 120 FPS, cinema filter to increase the Gamut, brightness of 2500 lumens with a native contrast of 80,000:1.

And finally the high-end, the JVC DLA-NZ9 at 24999 €, laser projector with phosphor wheel, 8K e-shiftX simulation, 8K 60 FPS / 4K 120 FPS, cinema filter to increase the Gamut, brightness of 3000 lumens with a native contrast of 100,000:1."

• Like 1

Found this to explain the contrast between models; reminiscent of earlier hand picked statements :classic_smile:

When you look at the specs for the NZ8 compared to the NZ7, you might wonder how the lumens jump to 2500 on the NZ8 and the contrast doubles. They both use the same BLU-Escent light source, the exact same D-LIA .69” 4K LCoS panels, and the same size all-glass lens. Well, it comes down to three things — panel selection, better optics, and the addition of an illumination iris.

It takes an extremely precise manufacturing process to produce their 4K chips. Even with their incredible levels of quality control, there is still some unit-to-unit variability. JVC actually tests each and every chip. There is a certain level they all must meet to make it into production and not the recycling bin, but as the chips test better they move into the higher performance units. They also match them up performance-wise as there are 3 chips per projector. This explains one of the reasons behind the improvement in contrast and light output.

The second reason is their Ultra-High Contrast Optics. If you know much about cameras, you know, the lens can make a big difference in performance. The same holds true for projectors. With these better optics, internal light reflections are reduced which improves the efficiency of the lens and image quality. You only get these optics on the NZ8 and NZ9.

Third, on the list of differences is JVC’s, Illumination Iris. All three models have a Lens Iris which is like a camera's aperture, opening and closing in response to light. The NZ8 and NZ9 add an Illumination Iris which is closer to the optical block. Its job is to reduce reflections, which in turn improves contrast.

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, cwt said:

Found this to explain the contrast between models; reminiscent of earlier hand picked statements :classic_smile:

yep seems we are back with the hand picked malarky from JVC again... so then by that logic the  lower model gets the rejected lenses and must exist to get rid of them :D 

• Like 2

some comments from Kris.. has also share a table below from JVC (that it compares with competitor tells you its sony they got clearly in their sights)... and i agree with him. its a failure on JVC that if wanting 100% P3 you have to go with the $15k USD model... no longer the N7 that sat well below... looks like the dual iris on the NZ8/Nz9 are static and the laser modulates...  

"I did some testing with Jim Peterson of Lumagen over the last couple days. I took the NZ9 to Lumagen. HDMI synch times were between 3-6 seconds. Absolutely ZERO difference in noise with eShiftX on or off. We connected an 8K Murideo test pattern generator so we could evaluate the 8K performance, zero scaling artifacts on every pattern, perfect rendition. This is a 4x shifter that addresses every pixel individually with zero scaling for 8K. 

Also, high laser on the NZ9 is quieter than the RS3000 in high lamp. The small portable hard drive I had connected to the Oppo sitting next to the projector was louder and more noticeable than the projector, and this was after more than 2 hours of use. Heat output is noticeably less as well. 

I can't go into specifics on performance until the review, sorry guys. 

Here is a nice spreadsheet that compares the models directly against the "competition", I'm sure you guys can figure out exactly who that is. One error on this (I pointed it out immediately) is there is no color filter on the $10K model, so the gamut coverage is wrong. And yes, I am disappointed too that you now have to go to the $15K model for full P3 coverage. It was one of my first comments in my meeting with JVC. I also wanted to see a laser that could do full P3 (at a minimum) with no filter at all. I mentioned this in my meeting with them two years ago. "

"Also not mentioned. The apertures on these are dual, not single like the RS4500. They are static though, if using dynamic contrast only the laser is modulated."

"Also, the light path for the RS3100/RS4100 is completely different than the previous RS2000/3000. Completely new optical block and new coatings for internal reflections. The HC pathway is not to improve native contrast but to help improve mixed contrast numbers (higher APL). We'll see if this bears out in contrast measurements."

"I've commented before that I don't see much difference in the "look" of laser vs lamp. I know some have flicker issues they mention, but I haven't seen that in my RS3000. I have seen it on some units I've calibrated in low lamp though, but it is fairly subtle. Obviously no flicker with the laser. The laser dimming has advantages over dynamic iris though and obviously it is nice to turn on/off whenever you want. I think the biggest benefit though is the increase in light output across the range with similar chassis."

also re e-shift noise...

"Zero noise difference between on and off with my NZ9 sample. One of the first things I tested."

image.thumb.png.1219675d945963532c8a3546a0387668.png

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 1

one thing else not getting a mention...

the weight of these laser projectors has crept up...

NZ7 22.5kg, NZ8 23.1 kg, Nz9 25.3 kg !

problem is this is over most geared mounts capacity we have the present. even the beefy chief RPMAU (22.7kg rating) only covers the NZ7  

the chief / strong / peerless mounts are not really rated for these models. only the next model up chief geared mount will take these and it is BIG money ! 

mount choice is something folk will need to carefully consider with the laser models.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

image.thumb.png.1219675d945963532c8a3546a0387668.png

Speaks volumes for that competitor ; lumens ; glass lenses and cost for a start . What would be a turn up is if the epson tw9500 manages 100% of dcip3  like the old ls10500 but with hdmi 2.1 also .  One of Mr Petersens lumagens can handle the DTM If pricing allows 😉 Weight is certainly a factor Al was thinking

• Like 2

Curious on what the pricing will be in Aus. Too be honest I will be sticking with my NX9 for awhile. Seems to be working quite well and I’m not prepared to take a loss on my projector, I’ve only had it for a year and have a spare globe. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, franin said:

Curious on what the pricing will be in Aus. Too be honest I will be sticking with my NX9 for awhile. Seems to be working quite well and I’m not prepared to take a loss on my projector, I’ve only had it for a year and have a spare globe. 

same have a spare bulb.. and given do 300 hours a year just watching movies and big screen viewings be about 10 years :D before need to change bulbs...

am curious on the dynamic iris vs dynamic laser, plus new optical block on Nz8/9 also curious re hdmi 2.1 though really have a TV already for that when the xbox series X eventually turns up :) 

its a LOT of cash upto Nz8/9 to go genuinely equal or better contrast wise from the N7 :) your N9 is step up again...and be interesting as you say Frank what price in au for these will be... should be announced... unless like previously jvc au deny new model existence :D to clear what local stock sill might be knocking around hehe

for those who missed the webinar, some notes from the ever reliable zombie … who am sure is tempted by one of these :D

filter loss for 100% p3 is quite huge ! About x2 the lamp models where it’s only 10-15% ! 

“Some random notes:

• 25-30% lumen loss w/ filter
  • No VRR confirmed
  • latency - stating lowest latency of any premium projector - not specified at this time
  • Light source hour indicator in main menu
  • new Autocal version for the upcoming models
  • 3100/4100 has a dual iris design
  • Spinning phosphor wheel in new models
  • Theater optimizer upgrades - Chris mentioned difficult titles (The Meg, Mad Max, Blade Runner) perform better with the upgraded optimizer, A/B comparison between the RS3000”
Edited by betty boop

That lumen loss is quite sobering actually … 30% loss potentially with p3 filter pulls back the nz8 first model with filter to 1750 peak lumens 

so only 50 lumens more than n7 am seeing now with p3 filter !

they really need better p3 filter or dual laser to improve gamut on laser machines ! For 100% p3

To Top