Power amp for bowers and Wilkins 702s2

Hi all,

Discussed with you guys a little while ago about upgrading speakers. I have myself a set of bowers and Wilkins 702s2.

I'm now looking for a power amp for them. Source will be a Nad c658 DAC/pre amp, Ill use the home theatre bypass when watching movies. Primary focus is good 2ch audio.

For a power amp I am looking at a NAD M22v2 - 4500$ or a pair of Rotel rb-1581 monoblocks - probably about total 5500$. 

What do you guys suggest? Will those options pair nicely, any other options you would recommend. 5k is about the budget for power amps.

The rb1590 is too tall for my av unit and floor is not an option. 

Regards,

Glenn

I had the older Elektra on my b&w 805 for several years. They’re well made amps with enough grunt to drive power hungry speakers and, in my experience, with very good local service back up. 
Another option if you are willing to consider a class d amps would be one or two of these, also Australian.

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p452-purifi-amplifier

i compared one with my Elektra and was impressed by it, though not enough to replace the Elektra. 

8 hours ago, buddyev said:

I had the older Elektra on my b&w 805 for several years. They’re well made amps with enough grunt to drive power hungry speakers and, in my experience, with very good local service back up. 
Another option if you are willing to consider a class d amps would be one or two of these, also Australian.

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p452-purifi-amplifier

i compared one with my Elektra and was impressed by it, though not enough to replace the Elektra. 

Thanks,

the elektra sounds like the best option so far with the bonus of being aussie made.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Elektra HD reference. I have the previous B&W CM10s and tried different amps, including an Emotiva, but the Elektra just delivers the sort of power that these speakers need.

• Thanks 1

Cannot argue with the recommended list at the stereo,net link above… I’m currently running the parasound A21+ and a good friend has the A21 before it. It’s been around for a while and if you could pick one up second hand you would have a great amp for the price you might like. By all accounts built like a tank, well it does feel like it at 35 kg or so. But what I love is it’s one of the amps that can deliver up to 60 amps of current… massive. I don’t think you’d easily outgrow this amp. It drives my B&W 802 D3 flawlessly. It’s also one of the few “reasonably” priced amps on rated class A quality on Stereophile ( that’s not the be all and end all I know but….).

happy amp hunting…

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I started with Anthem MCA. But the speakers were lifeless. Does not even sound like a $500 speaker. I then upgraded to Emotiva XPA-DR2.  Now I can hear every nuance of a music. Since now Emotiva is not available in Oz, I would recommend Rotel 1581 monos. Dont go for anything less than 500W continuous output.

Keep some $$$ for a good tube-preamp.