Can an AV receiver give me 2-channel audio I am used too?

Hi! I am new to this forum and look for wisdom.....as an alternative to me reading huge volumes of web-blather!

I run Cary mono block 300SE (9 watts per channel) amps into Almarro speakers. I use a Burson headphone amp/DAC as pre-amp. Source is either from Vincent SDV-3 (use its DAC) or my iPod Classic via a Wadia i171 transport to the Burson DAC.

Clearly my listening preference is towards refinement and spaciousness (mellowness some would say) rather than big sound and dynamics.

However, I want to set up a reasonable home theatre but room space dictates that the tube amps get put into storage (for a while). I want to find a receiver or pre/power amp combo which will give good service for video work, but excellent stereo for simple music enjoyment. A big ask.

My investigations so far point to Yamaha or Pioneer top end receivers (up to the $3-4000 mark) with the Arcam AVR600 a seeming benchmark at a much higher price point.

I have not yet considered side and rear speakers to complement the Almarros.

I look forward to some helpful comments.

Greetings

1repost in ... I suppose home theatre

2 I tried this for a second family system about ten years ago. I bought a Vincent receiver and it did the job

But it did NOT do it as well as my 2 channel gear

You have some very fine gear I fear disappointment

Buy the Cary 2ch tube pre amp with ht bypass to go with your monos and to integrate your fine 2ch gear with a ht setup and enjoy best of both worlds :)

Edited by :) al

Thanks DJB, I will repost as suggested.

Al, I will try to conceive what your proposed setup would look like in the real world!  With your suggested bypassing, etc., would the AV receiver be able to do the room equalisation if the Cary pre-amp/mono-blocks are involved?  This does my head in (at this early stage of the learning curve).

FYI: I sold my original CARY SLP94 pre-amp several years ago and just connected the primary source (VINCENT player) to the mono-block directly.  The more recent addition of the Burson head-phone amp as a pre-amp did as the equipment reviews suggested and provided extra dynamics to the overall sound (plus letting me use headphones once again!). 

Thanks DJB, I will repost as suggested.

Al, I will try to conceive what your proposed setup would look like in the real world!  With your suggested bypassing, etc., would the AV receiver be able to do the room equalisation if the Cary pre-amp/mono-blocks are involved?  This does my head in (at this early stage of the learning curve).

FYI: I sold my original CARY SLP94 pre-amp several years ago and just connected the primary source (VINCENT player) to the mono-block directly.  The more recent addition of the Burson head-phone amp as a pre-amp did as the equipment reviews suggested and provided extra dynamics to the overall sound (plus letting me use headphones once again!). 

from my understanding you can only get the AVR to do the processing if it does the preamplifcation as well....  not sure how you could use a 2 channel pre and 2 channel power with the avr. however replacing the avr's power amp stage with your current amp is easy (using pre outs).

Using an AVR and a pre-amp with HT bypass allows room correction and calibration. The AVR does not know there is a pre-amp between it and the power amps. This is how I have mine set up, and works flawlessly. I have trigger out from AVR to preamp and to power amps, so one button turns everything on, and I only have to push the HT button on the preamp for the AVR to send signals to the power amps. Turn HT off and the preamp sends signals to the power amps. My gear is not as high end as yours but the idea is still the same! 

How it works. You just run l&r pre outs from avr or av processor to l&r ht bypass inputs on your 2ch pre or integrated. For 2ch duties you use your 2ch sources and 2ch pre-pwr/integrated. For av duties you hit the ht bypass on the 2ch pre or integrated and pre power or 2ch integers red bypasses its pre amp stage and operate as a power amp :)

Edited by :) al

Yamaha vs Pioneer, the Yamahas still use good Class AB amps, the Pioneers use ICE Class D. The Yamahas run pretty hot, they even idle pretty warm.

Given the amps you are used to, I would say the Yamaha. And put a 4 ohm resistor in series with your speakers.