want to get into vinyl

dlb

hi everyone, yesterday I went on to Amazon and ordered a couple of records from my favourite band (linkin park), and I'm keen to start a collection of vinyl, including metallica's S&M record.

now I'd like to look at some gear to play it on (turntable and preamp)

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

to keep my wife on side I'd like to start with something reasonably priced that will lend to upgrades or just get me started and I can replace later. I wondered about about a new rega rp1 (with upgrade) or something higher up but used.

any help here appreciated.

• Volunteer

Pre loved will get you a better TT at the same price point, oh and welcome to SNA.

Does your amp have a phono input? if not you are up for a phono stage too.

It would be better if you could let us know a bit about your other gear.

I'll make it unanimous.  Go for a Rega.  They're relatively easy to set up and offer great sound for your dollar and plenty of upgrade options.  Isolate them from external vibrations as much as possible and you can't really go wrong.

thanks for the info. I have a Cambridge audio azur 540r receiver and KEF q5 speakers and Yamaha sub. so I understand I'll need the phono prestage as well. Any suggestions on that front that would suit my system and the rega p3 ?

Edited by dlb

You can trial the Graham Slee phono stage by contacting Cheekyboy (Keith) at Vinyl Eye.  You should be able to find one from SLee range that suit your cartridge type and price range.  There is a jasmine/salience LP 2 in the classified section for $450. 

Phono stages is a minefield, I suppose it depends how much you want to spend.

I was just going to say that if you buy the Rega and find it isn't what you like they are relatively easy to sell since they are a good solid deck and popular.

Edit: good suggestion on the Jasmine, they are supposed to be good and that price looks fine.

DS

Edited by davidsss

I'm not even a fan of the Rega turntables and I'd still join the chorus to go for the P3 24 in the classifieds here as it is exceptionally well priced and has some interesting looking upgrades you could look at. On the phono stage front, perhaps consider one of the Cambridge range along with Project or Nad.

Hi guys, thanks for all of your helpful feedback.  Based on those suggestions I have bitten the bullet with the P3-24 and PSU.  That seems like a great starting set up.  Re: the phono prestage and cartridge for that matter, I realise I can easily burn some serious coin here, and I get the impression that these two items will be key to getting some good sound.

On that basis, I think I will go with the Cambridge 551p to get me started and then if I have caught the bug like I suspect one does when getting into this caper, I will look to upgrade.

I would be keen on a recommendation for a suitable cartridge for this set up, under $200.

Many thanks

DLB.

• Like 1

Well done on the purchase of the Rega P3-24. You might consider an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. With a bit of hunting, you should pick one up within your budget.

There are many phono stage options. The Cambridge unit is a good starter choice. If you wanted to spend more, you might consider a Graham Slee. Cheekyboy on this site runs a loaner program that would give the opportunity to try before you buy. Send him a Private Message if you are interested.

Edited by Telecine

Hi guys, just thought I would provide an update on my system.

Went in to a hifi shop with my 17month old (prob not a good idea but all he did was get crumbs on the floor).  Anyhow, plan was to get a phono and cartridge to get me started, say $250 all up.  Walked out with Rega Fono MM and Ortofon 2M Blue.

So,

Hardware = Rega P3-24, Rega TT PSU, Rega Fono MM, 2M Blue cartridge, plus my existing CA 540R receiver, KEF Q5 speakers.

Vinyl = 0

I have ordered some new ones of Amazon and the mother in law has some (incl Dire Straits) that I will receive this weekend.

Needless to say now super keen to get the TT spinning.  probably spent double what I initially planned too (that's sounds right doesn't it), and I am working on a DADT policy with the wife (also correct i think).

Thanks all for the feedback so far.