How many still use a CD player or a fully computer

I still use a cd transport feeding the signal to a dac.  I dont think the humble cd player will be outdated soon but it all depends on what media do you have most.  I still use both my laptop+Jplay feeding the i2s signal to my dac via USB, but its more supplementary than my staple diet of cd's.  Just my opinion that suits my lifestyle best. 

I no longer own a dedicated CD player. All my CDs have been ripped to a solid state drive and are played back using Pure Music software in a Mac mini>Audiophileo2>Lite Dac 83. I feel the sound quality is as good or better than the Arcam CD17 player that I sold. Having said that, it's possible to pick up some great second hand CD players cheaply that will provide great results. In terms of just sound quality, a CD player is probably cheaper (and simpler). However, a computer offers many other functions and conveniences. Here's a link to a recent thread that discusses some of this: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/49945-The-Well-Tempered-Computer'>http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/49945-The-Well-Tempered-Computer

I have a NAS box feeding a squeezebox touch, there is also a DVD player hooked up to the DAC as a transport via optical cable for visitors to play CDs.

Mostly I prefer vinyl though.

My DAC does have a USB input but my laptop is not up to the standard of the SBT.

Dac! What's a Dac?  :P

I predominantly spin vinyl, but have a CD player tucked away in the rack. 

Never really understood why folk with reputably good disc players need to purchase an outboard dac at all. (Not talking about computer audio here)

But that's another topic.

i still use a cdp in one of my systems but when funds allow will be replaced with a macbook and dac, mainly because my computer library is bigger than my cd collection and all my cds are already ripped to the computer anyway.  

Ditto. My SACD Transport on my Playback Designs unit sounds better than just using it's DAC capabilities. Although i have yet to try this whole SSD setup as people are claiming this is a pretty big step up where SQ is concerned. But even once i have done this i will still be using my SACD because i have now amassed quite a few SACD's that no one no longer wants - apparently.

But when i get my NOS Sota Turntable & amassing more and more vinyl at ridiculously cheap prices - because again no one wants these anymore - i suspect my SACD player might even become redundant.  :D 

Edited by jrisles
  • Like 1

A CD player is a combined transport and DAC.  People buy external DACs when the external DAC outperforms the CDPs internal DAC = better sound.  But not as many people buy a dedicated transport, however there can be a significant improvement from using a good dedicated transport from that within the CD player.

Of course depends upon the quality of each component - the CDP, the DAC in question and the transport.  A good quality CDP will most likely outperform a budget DAC and transport - and a decent DAC / transport will best a budget CDP.  ALl trial and error and personal listening preferences.

I prefer separates as firstly, they sounded much better than any CDP I had (although the CDPs I had were below $1k), and it is a much more flexible upgrade path.

I still stream about 90% of my music though.

1TB USB HDD - 8gb MacBook SSD - Audirvana optimised- firewire Weiss INT202 - Naim DAC (A Paul Hynes SR 7 dual rail power supply on order to replace the Weiss and Apple wall warts)

It has far more acronyms than my old Naim CD5x & Flatcap2 ever had.

The DAC was an upgrade, and those upgrades are still coming. Poor CDP was outclassed, even from day one.

Edited by Briz Vegas
  • Like 1

I have gone full circle, from cd player to using a transport into a dac, then computer into dac. Then finally went and brought a decent cd player. 

I prefer to use the cd player now.

Edited by lusk
  • Like 1

• Volunteer

I have an Arcam alpha 9 cdp which I use as a stand alone and a Rega dac for lossless files on my mac. I also have a turntable. I rip every cd I buy and stream for convenience while I'm working or reading. I prefer the cdp if I'm just listening, its a bit sweeter and more open than the dac. Its not chalk & cheese and in a blind test on most of my music I'm not confident I could tell the difference. I think if I really set up the dac properly, digital interface etc, I'd be completely happy with it. The ideal for me would be if my cdp had digital inputs so I could use it with a computer.
In fact my cdp just carked it and needs a new laser. Its 12 years old and I will certainly get it fixed or get a new one—can't imagine not having it. I think the ritual is the most important thing — you have to have intent and purpose when putting on a disc, whether its vinyl or cd — seems a more significant act which requires your full and undistracted attention.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 1

Have more than one CD player and stream off atv around the house for background music. In the car is predominately off an iPod. Not put a disc in the car in ages

Edited by :) al

Probably the most obvious question to the OP - what is your budget?  We can then suggest how best it is spent (cos we all love spending other peoples money!)

Would give a good breakdown of $$$ split of CD + DAC vs stand alone CDP (or even transport if $$$ permit)

• Like 1

Ive just sold my #1 CDP (Raysonic CD128) with the mind to getting a clocker and DAC to go with my SBT. My main reason is that the SBT is just so easy (getting slacker as im getting older)  and from what ive read with a good clocker/DAC i can get pretty close to what i had with my good cdp. Maybe better with a bit of luck.

I still have another good CDP(Marantz CD6002) as a backup or a transport.