Luxman L550 - repaired. Thank you Zaphod

Sirus

Another Luxman restoration!

I was very envious of good friend of mine who in 1982 spent his last cent on a new luxman amplifier. I have always loved Luxman but could never afford a beast like this one. A hefty animal delivering only 50 watts pert channel but pure class A. The  sound was totally sublime and the amount of heat it generated was such that you could hardly touch vents without burning your fingers. I know that my friend used to push the amp very hard and one morning he called to say that he saw grey smoke coming from the vent and the amp had stopped working. When I went over and looked inside it was we plain to see that everything was just about burnt to a crisp and it would be very expensive to get repaired. Well, my buddy decided NOT to get it repaired and he would get another new one. He didn't buy  another Lux either but moved to a Musical Fidelity  more in line with the serous amount of power he always wanted and could afford.

Over the course of the next 30 years  I don't think there was a week go by where I didn't nag him to get that luxman repaired.  He never yielded and wouldn't sell it to me either.

Sadly, my friend passed away recently and I inherited the amp (along  with his entire vinyl collection). The amp was sitting in his garage for some 30 years with some definite  signs of age showing. I cleaned up the exterior (the rosewood surround still looks fantastic) but was not up to task of repairing it myself. I decided to contact Zaphod as I have seen his name mentioned often on stereonet and  he said he could do the repairs. I know he had some difficulties getting parts but after about 6 weeks or so he said  it was ready -  I could hardly wait. When I went to pick it up, he said he was totally shocked to find that the amp really was a true class A all the way to it rated output and suggested I use cooling fans. I have been running the amp for about a week now (with cooling fan). The sound is as good as I remember and definitely better than  all my other more modern (end more expensive) amps. I think Zaphod did a wonderful job on the amp and would like thank him very much for the repair and attention to detail he put into the job.

• Like 10

Wow, what a great story,although my sympathies extend for the passing of your friend.

In many ways it was probably best that he never sold it to you and when he passed away, it was his way of leaving a legacy. He was  probably aware that you would have it repaired. If this were me I would be thinking of my friend every time I played the amplifier and records and I think this is a great way for people to be remembered.

Kudos to Zaphod as well for doing such a great job.

P.S. I also love Luxman amplifiers and I am hoping to be able to buy one later in the year

Great story and so glad it turned out so well.

Wow it turns out that Zaph can "walk the walk along with talk the talk"

Nah only kidding, he may certainly have strong views on just about everything(I like that) but when it comes to the tech stuff, he would be up with the best on this forum. :)

• Like 2

Your mate left you a great amp and a great legacy. Lovely to think that you'll be playing records in the future and thinking of a fallen comrade. Well done to you for a wonderful story and to Trevor for resurrecting a nice piece of Luxman heritage.

Cheers

M

Wow, what a great story,although my sympathies extend for the passing of your friend.

In many ways it was probably best that he never sold it to you and when he passed away, it was his way of leaving a legacy. He was  probably aware that you would have it repaired. If this were me I would be thinking of my friend every time I played the amplifier and records and I think this is a great way for people to be remembered.

Kudos to Zaphod as well for doing such a great job.

P.S. I also love Luxman amplifiers and I am hoping to be able to buy one later in the year

Nice post and I concur.

As for Luxman amps..... I just sold my M-02 power amp to try something else, and hope I don't live to regret it.

Thanks for the nice words Bill.

Just to reiterate for interested parties:

IME the vast majority of amplifiers that are claimed to be Class A, are not. Stuff like the:

* Musical Fidelity A1. Claimed Class A - 20 Watts. Actual Class A - 2 Watts.

* Musical Fidelity P370. Claimed Class A - 185 Watts. Actual Class A - 12 Watts.

* Marantz PM64. Claimed Class A - 30 Watts. Actual Class A - 3 Watts.

The list goes on.

When I was presented with your L550, I assumed it was just another ambit claim from the manufacturer. Imagine my suprise when I dusted off the pocket calculator and measured a REAL 50 Watts Class A. From such a small package too!

Keep those fans running and the amp should run forever.

• Like 9

Thanks to those who responded,

Yes, I will always remember by hi-fi buddy when listening to this amp

We were best friend since high school - I had known him for 41 years.

Heres a pic of the amp - sitting atop another Lux - (an L507s)

I now have a collection of 9 Luxman amps and as I said, this one sounds the best - even over my much more powerful  (M-7f & C-7f combo)   

The fans need additional support and height (Zaphod suggested some heavy durty foam available from Clark Rubber) 

They appear to be very effective. 

post-125839-0-96205600-1359252458_thumb.

• Like 1
Thanks for the nice words Bill.

Just to reiterate for interested parties:

IME the vast majority of amplifiers that are claimed to be Class A, are not. Stuff like the:

* Musical Fidelity A1. Claimed Class A - 20 Watts. Actual Class A - 2 Watts.

* Musical Fidelity P370. Claimed Class A - 185 Watts. Actual Class A - 12 Watts.

* Marantz PM64. Claimed Class A - 30 Watts. Actual Class A - 3 Watts.

The list goes on.

When I was presented with your L550, I assumed it was just another ambit claim from the manufacturer. Imagine my suprise when I dusted off the pocket calculator and measured a REAL 50 Watts Class A. From such a small package too!

Keep those fans running and the amp should run forever.

Not to mention those Chinese budget amps that claim multi hundreds of WPC and sell for $2K

Trev refurbished my ME1500 - you know when someone knows their stuff and Trev is definitely in that category, would use his services again in a heartbeat.

Regards,

George

What a great story.

I have always had a soft spot for Luxman gear.

My first real set up back in the eighties was Luxman gear. May not have been their high end stuff, but it sure brought me a whole heap of pleasure over the years.

Cheers. 

• 1 year later...

Hi to all.

I am extremely heartened by this storey of the wonderful old L550 class A as I also had a friend who bought one brand new. Sadly it was stolen without a trace many years ago. 

I bought an L308 in the early 70's and up to recently has performed beautifully powering my 15 inch SRM Tannoy's. Unfortunately the 308 sound has deteriorated to a point where I just can't listen to it any more as the THDistortion must be at about 20% per channel. It still performs in every other way apart from a slightly dirty volume pot.

I see on this site that there is a miracle man, Trevor Zaphod, that may be able to bring back the joy to my ears that the 308 once provided.

I would be absolutely delighted if anyone could give me Trevor's contact for this purpose.

Fingers crossed I await a reply,

Many thanks Howard 

I'll add my recommendation right here for Trevor.

He's repaired, rejuvenated and resurrected numerous makes & models of Audio gear for me over the years.

He usually bites off a lot more than he can chew, then chews like mad. He even manages to fix the unfixable on the odd occasion !

There's not many techs out there that will take on the sort of job the OP had. In fact, most run in the other direction, or price themselves so far out of the ballpark that it's not worth it.

Good work Trev.

• Like 1