How good are 45rpms!

Revolver

Thought I would add a few 12" 45rpm reissues when I kicked-off the start of my LP collection as part a buying binge.

Picked up Dave Brubeck Take 5, Getz/Gilberto & Coltrane's Blue Train. Can't believe how amazing they sound.

Bonus has been my copy of Radiohead's In Rainbows box set that I think was only available on pre-order at time of the album launch back in 2007.

It came with 2 12" LPs, which I discovered on being played for the first time this month were 45rpms.

Did not realise what I had been missing all these years listening to the CD!

What are members experiences with 45rpms?

Recommendations?

Yes, they are good but having an album spread over a number of records does bugger up the flow of the album. Great for audiophile goodness but no good for immersing yourself in the performance.

As for 12 inch singles and 10 inch singles, well they are excellent especially if you get a mega long disco mix on the b-side.

Yes, they are good but having an album spread over a number of records does bugger up the flow of the album. Great for audiophile goodness but no good for immersing yourself in the performance.

As for 12 inch singles and 10 inch singles, well they are excellent especially if you get a mega long disco mix on the b-side.

That why you should own at least two turntables and two copies of the album!

Edited by houdinifangs

• Volunteer

I'm biased, Marillion's Happiness in the Road is good if you like Marillion.  Blackfield 1 came with a bonus 45 which being Steve Wilson is great.

I have a few of the so called "audiophile" ones or as houdinifangs called them "fancy records", can certainly recommend Ella and Louise (Analogue Productions), Sinatra at the Sands (MoFi), Coltrane's Blue Train (Blue Note), Nat King Cole's Just One of those Things (Analogue Productions). Though to put that in context I don't have other vinyl versions to compare to, but these all do sound great to me.

I also have an EP that was prereleased before Aaron Neville's reissue of Warm Your Heart(Classic Records). It is 45 on one side and 33 on the other, with the same 3 songs on each side. I could not really discern much of a difference (insert reference to 55 year old ears and too many live gigs), though from memory I think Victor (vmhf, insert reference to very discerning ears) preferred the 33 over the 45. This record has to come with a warning, the Linda Ronstadt duet is nauseating with its sickly sweet affirmation of love. Don't say I didn't warn you, and I do like LR but not this track.

And now to try and maintain some street cred, not all the 45 albums I have are "fancy records", the War on Drugs Slave Ambient is a bloody brilliant album that happened to be released on 45. A top five from 2011 and worth getting.

Someone may comment on The Black Keys El Camino, which was done on both 33 and 45(I think it was a record store day release). I just have the 33 version.

There are technical reasons why 45 rpm 12" or 10" discs can sound better than their LP counter parts.

Less content to each side means -

• discs can be cut with greater modulation depth which means potentially better signal to surface noise ratio, greater velocity which translates to greater output voltage from the cartridge.
  • potentially better high frequency response (may be cartridge dependant though).
  • potentially greater dynamic range.
  • still improvement of all of the above if it is cut at half speed.

Of course it goes without saying the original content, vinyl and pressing quality will contribute to the outcome benefits.

Have quite a few 12" 45s.  I agree it's a bit annoying having to play "DJ".  Then there's the cleaning regime.  What we do just in support of this hobby. :P

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 2

I can't speak highly enough of the 45rpm 180g pressing of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia, "Friday Night in San Francisco" that I have.  The guitar trio sparkles and given its a live recording this quality pressing really leaves me feeling like I've just experienced the concert itself.

I can't speak highly enough of the 45rpm 180g pressing of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia, "Friday Night in San Francisco" that I have.  The guitar trio sparkles and given its a live recording this quality pressing really leaves me feeling like I've just experienced the concert itself.

Thanks morty. Just watched YouTube video. Looks impressive, might need to find a copy.

]

I have a few of the so called "audiophile" ones or as houdinifangs called them "fancy records", can certainly recommend Ella and Louise (Analogue Productions), Sinatra at the Sands (MoFi), Coltrane's Blue Train (Blue Note), Nat King Cole's Just One of those Things (Analogue Productions). Though to put that in context I don't have other vinyl versions to compare to, but these all do sound great to me.

I also have an EP that was prereleased before Aaron Neville's reissue of Warm Your Heart(Classic Records). It is 45 on one side and 33 on the other, with the same 3 songs on each side. I could not really discern much of a difference (insert reference to 55 year old ears and too many live gigs), though from memory I think Victor (vmhf, insert reference to very discerning ears) preferred the 33 over the 45. This record has to come with a warning, the Linda Ronstadt duet is nauseating with its sickly sweet affirmation of love. Don't say I didn't warn you, and I do like LR but not this track.

And now to try and maintain some street cred, not all the 45 albums I have are "fancy records", the War on Drugs Slave Ambient is a bloody brilliant album that happened to be released on 45. A top five from 2011 and worth getting.

Someone may comment on The Black Keys El Camino, which was done on both 33 and 45(I think it was a record store day release). I just have the 33 version.

Thanks Viognier. Was planning on picking up the Ella & Louie 45.

I have a dozen or so Jazz albums released on 45 RPM (Analogue Production or Blue Note). All, without exception sound excellent, the only drawback is changing the vinyl so often. 

I also have Black Keys- Brothers on 45 RPM and as good as the standard version sounds, the 45RPM is better. Particularly the bass.

And the Fleetwood Mac: Rumours album on 45 RPM is another great example of the album bettering the standard speed version. IME.

Edit: Just remembered that I also have John Lee Hooker: The Healer released as a 4 LP set by Classic Records.

It has probably the noisiest lead in grooves on each of the 4 records that I have ever heard.

Fortunately this noise disappears between tracks, and is my only criticism.

Edited by soundfan

I love 45rpm vinyl, in nearly every case the increase in SQ over 33rpm is substantial and by far the best sound you can get. I am always on the lookout for 12" 45's from the 80's as these sound brilliant, I buy every 12" Midnight Oil EP I can find. Power and the Passion on 12" EP just about rips your head off and lives up to the song title :thumb:

• Like 1

Yep..........agree with Mondie............I have some 12" 45rpm singles from the '80s as well............worth tracking down..................my favourites are a couple of Pet Shop Boys singles............West End Girls is superb.

Also, I have a couple of 45rpm box sets of "singles".............CCR in particular is fantastic.

ps.......getting up to play DJ?.........not so good ;) 

All the Fleetwood Mac rerelease 45's are fantastic. Muddy Waters Folk Singer 45 sounds like you are in the studio. It's like you can smell the bourbon and smoke!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions Hugo_wilco. Hadn't considered the muddy waters 45rpm.

Maybe when I am next in melb I could drop by for a listen?

STARDUST - Willy Nelson is still the best demo 4 X 45RPM discs anybody could use as Ultimate demo quality.

Chalk V's Cheese RE: Original 33RPM version.

The Single 12"  45 RPM versions  are a total league above in sound quality.

The difference is not subtle, it's HUGE!

Just bought Dusty Springfield - in Memphis - 200g 45 rpm from Vinyl Eye.  REALLY looking forward to hearing this one!  Noticed it's also available at 192/24 res from HD Tracks... I'm tempted to buy both and do a comparison, especially while HDT is doing 10% off their entire catalogue (till EOM)...

Originally released in 1969, Dusty In Memphis is one of the most landmark albums ever recorded. It's reputation is legion. Always graced with an exceptional voice, celebrated British singer Dusty Springfield came into her own on this soul classic, laden with sexual honesty and sublime passion. An audiophile classic for more than four decades, it's also never sounded better than on this 200g 45RPM 2LP version, mastered from the original master tapes.

Produced and arranged by Aretha Franklin's winning production and arrangement team ofJerry Wexler and Arif Mardin, and engineered by Tom DowdDusty In Memphis features definitive cuts such as "So Much Love," "Son of a Preacher Man," "Breakfast in Bed," "Just One Smile" "I Don't Want to Hear About It Anymore," and "Just a Little Lovin." Ironically, Springfield was so afraid once she came face-to-face in Memphis with the very musicians that recorded with Franklin and Otis Redding that her vocals were actually overdubbed in New York. 

No matter; Dusty In Memphis is true Southern soul, a pop masterpiece that has inspired countless tributes and incessant praise. Inspired, timeless, and transcendent this record belongs in every collection, especially those that value flawless vocal techniques and stunning deliveries. Springfield gets into the deep crevasses of every song, and Analogue Productions' vinyl set makes clear every last note, breath, and chord. Find out why Dusty In Memphis has long been at the top of myriad audiophile lists by rediscovering it on the best pressing ever made.

STARDUST - Willy Nelson is still the best demo 4 X 45RPM discs anybody could use as Ultimate demo quality.

Chalk V's Cheese RE: Original 33RPM version.

The Single 12"  45 RPM versions  are a total league above in sound quality.

The difference is not subtle, it's HUGE!

Got me interested Tweaky, however jhave only seen it advertised for $150. Do you recall how much you paid?

Thanks for the suggestions Hugo_wilco. Hadn't considered the muddy waters 45rpm.

Maybe when I am next in melb I could drop by for a listen?

Anytime. And I second Rumours.

I also have Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat 45.…very good.

To Top