Need soldering for replacement transformer (Northern Syd)

benifex

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but ....

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable place to get a replacement transformer soldered into my DAC. The thing blew up a while  ago, and I am having a new transformer sent over from China. When it arrives I will need someone who is handy with a soldering iron.

(It's something I'd love to be able to do myself, but now is not the time to start practicing!)

Can anyone recommend someone? I'm in the northern suburbs of Sydney. (Also, can anyone enlighten me about how much I should expect this to cost??)

Thanks!

That's a photo off Audio-gd's website. 

I can post one I've taken, but that'll have to wait 'til tomorrow. 

However, I took it to a repair shop who said it was the transformer that was the problem (and quoted me $280 to repair it, which is almost as much as the DAC cost ..! Sigh ...)

$280 sounds expensive - looks like no more than 1/2 hours work - I would offer to do it but I'm DIY so not certified

It sounds expensive, but we don't know if they were including the transformer at that price.

Yes true dat

I should add to the above, for context: I described my transformer troubles to an electrical engineer friend of mine, who works for one of the last electronics manufacturers in Sydney; he said transformers of that size go for about $30, tops (though I suppose that would be wholesale). 

Len Wallis Audio in Lane Cove may be able to steer you in the right direction - I think they must tap into some local talent for these sort of repair jobs.

Personally, I haven't purchased from them so don't know how helpful they will be...

Good luck!

Hah. He did offer to. Soldering's not what he does for a living, though; I think I'd feel more comfortable paying someone to do it. (Though given the lack of leads so far, it may be that needs must!)

What sort of engineer is he!!???

; )

• Like 1
Len Wallis Audio in Lane Cove may be able to steer you in the right direction - I think they must tap into some local talent for these sort of repair jobs.

Personally, I haven't purchased from them so don't know how helpful they will be...

Good luck!

That's not a bad idea. I might also call Rage Audio - the guy there has fixed something for me in the past.