Extending subwoofer cable?

I have a bass trap I want to put in the corner of my room but the installers failed to leave enough cable to do so. What's the best method to do this? The guy at the HT show didn't recommend it.

Is it possible to do a male/female plug extension or snip solder extend? 

How important is it to match the new cable to the original?

Cheers

If you can solder GOOD than simply solder and heat shrink the join. If your solder skills are not so good an adapter as mentioned above is fine. Try to get one of the all metal "barrel" types. Just make sure it is a good tight fit as some of them need to be taped in place to stay together. If you can match the lead fine if not get as good a cable as you can find without going over the top.

Cheers,

Geoff

Edited by Toma Audio

Hi again,

The cable you are using is RG6 aerial cable, the RCA plug will unsrew from the joiner. You should be able to get any aerial installer or electrician to crimp an F connector on each end of a length of RG6 and supply you with an F joiner that will screw into the old cable. Simply screw the RCA back onto the end of the new lead.

Find your installer and kick his bum for using RG6 as a signal lead. It works, it is shielded, it won't give you any problems, but it aint the best sounding cable out there.

Regards,

Geoff

Ugh that's a disappointment. It was years ago so I let them do their thing. They used Dali Wave cable for my Dali speakers at the time. 25 per m. Hopefully that's acceptable?

Maybe I should just get a better cable installed with appropriate length rather than the whole rejoin.

They gave me budget sub cable but suggested I buy a Thor powerboard at $300.