Can You Help Me Name This Song Please?

progladyte

Hi guys,

I have been asked to provide some music for a wedding in a month's time and one of the songs requested was by a guy similar to Prince / Terence Trent Darby. I think he is possibly a black American / Caribbean or possibly from that region.

The Song is called "Fly" I think and has a great intro riff that repeats throughout the song. I think it was from the late 80's / 90's possibly.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks

Greg

Edited by progladyte

Hi guys,

The Song is called "Fly" I think and has a great intro riff that repeats throughout the song. I think it was from the late 80's / 90's possibly.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks

Greg

Yarr!!!

great riff...

mate, if that doesnt knock the brides garters off, try this romantic leg opener,

giveittomebaby-uhuhuh-giveittomebaby-uhuhuh

Edited by mello yello
  • Like 1

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on TTD. I can't say I recall the song but then again I stayed away from radio for about 2-3 decades when he was a pup. I probably need to work on stuff they both like but I'll ask them if they know him. They're calling in over the W/E.

I actually have a lot of sloppy romantic stuff which would be suitable during dinner and a few slow waltzes but I really need some up tempo dance tracks that will get the room shaking.

Here's what I have so far:

Spiderbait - Black Betty

Talking heads - Burning Down The House

Beatles - Ob La Di

Beatles - Back In The USSR

Screaming Jets - Better

The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

Van Halen - Jump

Stones - Not Fade Away

Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits

Vanilla Ice - Ice ice Baby

INXS - Johnson's Aeroplane

Edgar Winter - Frankenstein

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Nickleback - Figured You Out

The Offspring - Pretty Fly For A White Guy

The The - Infected

Deep Purple - Black Night

Hunters & Collectors - Do You See What I See

Hoodoo Gurus - Like Wow - Wipeout!

Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Midnight Oils - Beds Are Burning

Manfred Manns Earth Band - Davey's On The Road Again

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Give It Away

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

The Kinks - You've Really Got Me

The Sweet - Fox On The Run

Silly Stuff

James Last - Mexican Hat Dance

Zorba The Greek

Psy - Gangnam Style

Chicken Dance

Hokie Pokie

Slowies

Bryan Adams - Heaven

I have heaps.................

I'm not sure exakkery what sort of dance songs the bride likes but the groom hates rap / doof doof and is more into Pink Floyd AC/DC and general rock.

So guys, can you suggest some more modern stuff from the 90's through to now that won't scare the beejezus out of the old folk but will go down well? You gotta realize I'm an old fart myself so don't know all of this modern stuff.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by progladyte
Hey prog,

Nickleback - Figured You Out - kinda stands out and probably give a miss due to the lyrics?

I'd maybe go with earlier 'Hold Your Hand' era Beatles and can't go wrong with Rock Lobster.

And for sloppy romantic stuff this is a great single from 2006..

Edited by likwidsh0k

You may want to reconsider that THE THE track, given the lyric was a single entendre written as a wry comment at the height of the first wave of AIDS scaremongering.

Matt Johnsons lyrics always have a sting in the tail, even when sugar coated with a gorgeous melody, "Uncertain Smile" being a perfect example.

How about SKYHOOKS, " All My Friends Are Getting Married", and good ol' Sherbet tracks like " Howzat" and " SlipStream" can always light up a well lubricated room. More tea, Vicar?

ZM.

• Like 1

I've added a few more:

Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe

Run DMC - Walk This Way

Spin Doctors - 2 Princes

Roxette - a few slowies

Ace of Bass - All That She Wants

Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Blur - Song 2

Kiss - I Was Born For Lovin' You

ZZ Top - Le Grange

ZZ Top - Bad Dressed Man

Michael Johnson - Black or White

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy

The Who - Substitute

The Who - My Generation

Midnight Oil - Power & The Passion

Thanks for the other tips guys.

Looks like we might have enough but keep the suggestions coming if there's something essential I've missed.

Cheers

Prog

Hi guys,

I have been asked to provide some music for a wedding in a month's time and one of the songs requested was by a guy similar to Prince / Terence Trent Darby. I think he is possibly a black American / Caribbean or possibly from that region.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks

Greg

Gee Prog, now I know why you're so into 'progressive' rock music, there's not much on your list that would interest any 'music listener' !

I suppose a wedding is different and all the old favs. have to be heard (even if they get over played at every wedding).

There are so many good 'alternate' songs from most of those artists on your list that would be more 'refreshing' to hear on the big day!

Some bands that aren't on your list that you may want to check out ,(that might suit the occasion),

Blondie

Rolling Stones

Elton John

Fleetwood Mac

Gnarles Barkley

Powderfinger

The Black Keys (latest 2 albums)

The Cars

Sunnyboys

Led Zeppelin (eg, All My Love)

Hunters and Collectors

Golden Earring (Radar Love)

Hoodu Goorus

Soundtracks, lots of great soundtracks with a variety of good songs.

Edited by surfpurple

Thanks Surf,

I've already got Not Fade Away / some Hooodoo Gurus, H & C and I just added some L.Z.

I might add some more Stones / Blondie's good, Pat Benatar and a few others from your list.

At the end of the day however, it's up to the couple even though I will prolly offer them say 150-200 songs from which to pick what they want.

Just hope they pick "Davey's On The Road Again". - Just might have to get myself out of my wheelchair and shake my titties off to that one on the dance floor.

Edited by progladyte

This might be showing my soft side.....but try playing..... In this time by The Tea Party, for the bride....... Beautiful song, enjoy the wedding, cheers

Edited by kab
Thanks Surf,

I've already got Not Fade Away / some Hooodoo Gurus, H & C and I just added some L.Z.

I might add some more Stones / Blondie's good, Pat Benatar and a few others from your list.

At the end of the day however, it's up to the couple even though I will prolly offer them say 150-200 songs from which to pick what they want.

Just hope they pick "Davey's On The Road Again". - Just might have to get myself out of my wheelchair and shake my titties off to that one on the dance floor.

Great song.

A band I was in many years ago did a great rendition of it.

Fun to play and we had a singer that could really belt it out.

That short and sweet guitar solo was a cracker too.

(always held mt breath right through that one.)

edit - The ending is rubbish. It spoils a fabulous song and jars the mood.

I don't know what they were thinking!

Edited by LogicprObe
  • Like 1