Which small floor-stander for a Brio R?

Hey dudsters.

Got my eyes on the Epos Epic 5 ($1100) or the Monitor Audio RX6 ($1500). Comments?

I play all sorts of music (jazz, orchestral/opera, world, alternative). After insight, dynamic range and excitement but also after a fairly neutral sound.

Have heard the RX6 and liked the clarity and base extension. But the price and reviews of the Epic attract.

Is the Epic too warm for the crispy-toastiness of the Brio?

Opinions anyone?

Cheers.

Peeto

Thanks Phantom (btw how is the jungle tonight?).

I really liked the sound of MA and Brio too. Just chasing that extra few hundred $'s tho ... curious about the Epics. Sposed to be a nice 'British' sound too

The 2050i are 92 db sensitivity with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms.

I would say that the Brio would be able to put them into a low earth orbit :lol: .

Edit; the jungle is hot and summery and If you can stretch to the RX6 Mr walker says you will have harmony and sweet music..............especially good on jungle drums :)

IMHO, the Epos are much too polite,with no air guitar factor

Edited by Phantom

Hmm, Phantom ...an image of rhythmic tribal thrashing and flailing of limbs in your sticky (and noisy) jungle abode is beginning to form...

Must admit hearing the RX6's with the Brio gave me the grin factor

We sell a lot of the Brio R with Q series KEF's the Brio's slight nod to warmth works wonders with the KEF's ever so slight bright balance. The soundstage on this combo is fantastic. See if you can find a local dealer to check them out, while your there listen to the LS50 I know they are a stand mount but check them out to, you may change your mind.

• Like 1

We sell a lot of the Brio R with Q series KEF's the Brio's slight nod to warmth works wonders with the KEF's ever so slight bright balance. The soundstage on this combo is fantastic. See if you can find a local dealer to check them out, while your there listen to the LS50 I know they are a stand mount but check them out to, you may change your mind.

I have my Brio R paired with KEF XQ20's and really enjoy the sound.

I recently heard the Brio driving a pair of KEF Q500 I was really impressed with the synergy.

+1 for omens from me of course that wont be a surprised -  ;)

But they would have to be S/H to fit in budget or stretch the budget a little -  Must hear the unions soon.

Also i will be giving the Brio a run with the Zu's this weekend.  A friend recently added the Brio to his Orpheus Aurora  2's and is very happy with the results.  

Pm me if you want a run down on the Zu /Brio combo.

cheers Damo.

Edited by DAMO 1147

Hi Joker Boy,

I still miss the XQ20's one really sweet speaker. I wish the LS50 had the option of Kyah Mahogany like the XQ range.

Congrats on your choice of amp and speakers.

Damo I guess that means you'll be seeing Adam on the weekend?

Cheers,

Geoff

I had WLM Stella floor standers in my system for a few weeks on loan and they are sensational. Great midrange and top end with super fast and tuneful bass, never fatiguing. Super value/ performance ratio.

You may be able to do an in home audition if you contact Audio Addiction or Krispy Kables.

I have these >>>Click<<< and if you read through this thread you'll see some pics of them and SNA members thought's on them.

Have listened to PMC GB1i's($3850) and the brand new Monitor Gold GX200($5,000) and both of these speakers are classed as slimline floorstanders and I landed my speakers here in OZ for less than half the  price of the GB1i's and I think they do a better job at reproduction than the PMC's but the Monitors with the ribbon tweeter offered a bit more refinement in the top end for sure but so they should for the price.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I'll be looking out for 2nd hand KEF's and Zu's!

No-one heard the Epics then?

Ran the Brio with the Zu Omens over the weekend - Excellent results!!  Slightly laid back presentation though.  However re-reading your musical tastes you may want to save a little longer and veer towards the Union or WLM's.

Bang for Buck the Omens do a lot - set up an Audition.  

I certainly prefer the Epos sound over MA. To my ears, the bass is reigned back a tad on the Epics allowing the mids to come through with more clarity. Comes to preference for sure. It's worth hearing the Epics, just to get rid of that itch in case later you have doubts!!

Update:

Thanks for all the views peeps.

I ended going for slightly bigger floor-standers. Orpheus Aurora 3 v2's. 

2.5 way and 92db at 4ohms. The Brio seems to be handling it well and i don't need to turn past 9 o'clock . Great dynamics, smooth mids and deep controlled bass. Bit big for my room but hey, next time I'll rent bigger. Priorities right?

Realise I've got a bit of a boomy room so I stuffed some rolled up socks in the bass vents. High tech tuning. Worked a treat tho. 

The little Brio looks kinda puny driving these big boxes but it's doing a fine job.

Back to Dead can Dance!

Cheers

• Like 1