usb turntable

avalon27

Guest yamaha_man

Well have a think about it Andy! Obviously the guy want to rip his vinyl to hard drive or something similar!

Oxymoron is half the pricks here who think their **** doesn't stink yet I can smell it interstate!

End of story!

Opt for the Project they sound good for the money, and they are serviceable as well. Or if you already have a Turntable grab a NAD PP3 phono pre-amp it comes with a USB out and basic ripping software. A nice bit of gear at around $300:00

The only one worth a look in is the Project Debut. There's a few high end DJ turntables around with usb, which are often quite well made and very closely based on the Technics design, these aren't bad - depends how fussy you are.

I'd get a phono stage with USB (Project and NAD do them, plus others) and a nice tt of your choice.

Looking at the manual for the Project and the Denon, I'd say the Project looks like a much better product.

The Denon looks like it would be easy to use (just plug in a USB stick), but that also shows its limitations. The specs say it has an inbuilt mp3 decoder, with the implication that mp3 may the only digital format that it outputs via USB (although the manual doesn't spell that out). Personally, I think it would be far better to digitise to WAV format on a computer in the first instance, rather than a lossy compressed format such as mp3. You can always convert the WAV files to mp3 copies later, if that is what you want.

On the face of it, the Project looks like a much better quality product. It would require more work to set up initially, as you would have to do some configuring on your computer and download/install software to capture the audio, but you would get better results in the long run. There are plenty of freeware programs around that will do this (Audacity is one).

So, if you are happy with mp3, then sure, the Denon would do the job, but I suspect its limitations would quickly become apparent. My personal choice out of those two would definitely be the Project. Price looks quite reasonable too.

Edited by emesbee