Rega Saturn / Apollo R / Rega Dac

• Volunteer

I think my Arcam Alpha 9 cdp has just croaked — the laser isn't reading the disc and it feels warm even when the power is off. I don't know if its terminal but it aint looking good. I suppose I can't complain after 12 years but I was very attached to it. Anyway I might have to replace it if I can't get it fixed.

I already have a Rega dac which I stream to and its a good match for the rest of my system and so thought about a Rega Saturn cdp. Alternatively and much cheaper would be an Apollo R into the dac. Is there any advantage to be gained from feeding the Apollo R into the Dac or are they of similar character? 

Has anyone compared the Apollo R / Rega dac / Saturn? 

Obviously I have to audition them but any thoughts?

Russ

If you're happy with the Rega DAC sound - just buy a good transport. Come upgrade time, you simply change DACs... No point getting the Apollo R imho as the dac in it is the same from what I understand. Not sure the Saturn would be a big enough upgrade to justify the cost.

If you want to keep everything looking good you could go for the Apollo that just hit the FS section, you'd only be using it as a transport but at least you wouldn't have to pay top dollar for a new spinner.

• Volunteer

All good thoughts. I thought about an older cdp or other dedicated transport, but for $850 i can get a new apollo r from addicted to audio or a s/h saturn from magenta for $1000. I think the new apollo r has changed the game as far as older s/h apollos go.

I'll take the arcam in tomorrow and Im hoping that its salvageable for a reasonable cost - its not massively better than the rega dac but it is a bit crisper and more open.

Edited by buddyev

I believe Rantan has heard both and posted previously that he rated the Saturn as still better than the Apollo R - but suggested the gap had closed significantly. 

The R could well have changed the game - and hurt S/H values of the old Apollo in the process. 

I grappled with the same issue, an older cheaper player into a DAC will in all likelihood sound just as good - but reliability will always be the issue on an old player.    Can you audition the Rega combo at A to A to see if you think it's woth the $$?

No point getting the Apollo R imho as the dac in it is the same from what I understand. 

Unless he wants matching components ;)

Also, the Rega DAC has the DAC section from the ISIS CD player if I'm not mistaken. The Apollo-R I assume would be using a cut-down version.

Yeah I was really saying that some of us (me) are shallow enough that visual matching is an important factor in choosing components.

me too mate. half the reason i bought the cd101 - thank goodness it's a decent spinner too ;)

• Volunteer

Not worried about matching components too much but I like the idea of the Apollo and dac - cute little b*ggers.

Just spoke with the service guy and he recommended fixing the Arcam - well I suppose he would wouldn't he! It was a $3k cdp when I bought it 12 years ago - I suppose I've had my money's worth out of it by now but my preference is too fix it if its not too expensive - a new laser I think.

Edited by buddyev