question on Oppo bdp 103 dac vs decoder

bigbuddha

OK ... I thought I had all this straight in my head before .. and I'm sorry if this ground has been covered before, but I can't shake the feeling I'm doing something wrong here or thinking about it the wrong way.

I have the OPPO BDP103 .. which I want to bypass the dac ... from what I understand if I use the hdmi connection with bitstream the sound is sent straight from the OPPO to my AV7005 receiver where the sound data will be "decoded" into dolby whatever and also the AV7005 will run the "decoded" sound into the DAC to be converted from digital to analogue.

Is this correct?  I think it is...

OK assuming the above is correct, if I elect to run the sound out from the OPPO coaxial or spdif into my Burson Conductor but mix the audio down to say 192/24 bit stereo pcm

Is the OPPO dac doing any of that processing or is there a chip inside the OPPO that does the decoding into PCM which then sends into down the coaxial line into the Burson DAC where the sound is converted from Digital to Analog ..

I suppose what I don't want to happen is for the audio to be passed through the OPPO dac and then into the Burson DAC so its converted twice .. if that makes any sense ..

Anyone who can clarify this is my hero !!

Just use Coax out and choose in the Oppo menu what do you want the SPDIF to output. PCM stream or something else....

For DSD (SACDs) you will not be able to bypass DSD to PCM conversion -  it was like that with past models. Blame Sony for that not Oppo.

Edited by Decky
  • Like 1

bigbuddha, you are right in your assumptions. When the Oppo sends a bitstream signal from HDMI to your AVR the Oppo DAC won't affect the sound. The Oppo is acting as a transport in this situation. When you are selecting output options from coax or spdif the Oppo DAC still won't be involved because the signal is still in the digital realm at that point.

• Like 1

This is an interesting question actually. As stated above, bitstreaming over HDMI is fairly simple; a bit-for-bit copy of the digital audio on disk is sent to the receiver without being processed by the player's internal DAC. However, when downmixing to 2.0 PCM and using coax out to an external DAC; obviously the external DAC is doing the final digital-to-analogue conversion, but for the player to output a downmixed signal, surely some internal conversion (albeit still in the digital realm) must be happening inside the player first (e.g. from DTS-MA 7.1 to PCM 2.0)?

Edited by twwen2
  • Like 1

Right, so the next question in my mind becomes do different players handle downmixing differently? Is the Oppo's downmixing superior to that of other commercial players?

If I choose to bypass the Oppo's internal DAC (using either digital output as discussed above), am I wasting my money by paying more for a premium player when I could simply use an external 2.0 DAC with a cheaper player?

To Decky, Whatmough Audio and twwen2 .. thanks for answering my question .. it has been bugging me for sometime.  

hehe .. I know the Oppo DAC is decent enough, but I like the Burson sound alot, especially for headphone listening.

Thanks again guys.

Right, so the next question in my mind becomes do different players handle downmixing differently? Is the Oppo's downmixing superior to that of other commercial players?

If I choose to bypass the Oppo's internal DAC (using either digital output as discussed above), am I wasting my money by paying more for a premium player when I could simply use an external 2.0 DAC with a cheaper player?

Hmm .. the reason I bought the OPPO was for its video processing power .. which is great .. I upgraded from using a Samsung 3d Bluray player and a PS3 ... the picture from the OPPO is outstanding ... and now I'm using the Burson Conductor as the DAC to produce the stereo I'm living my version of the Home Theatre dream ... great picture quality and awesome solid state stereo sound.