Subwoofer advice please

I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers in a large 5x10m room and im finding the bass lacking a little.

Im currently using it for music and 2 channel surround for movies through my NAD C390DD amp.

I dont want anything boomy, Just looking for a slight improvement in tight bass in my music and make explosions in movies more realistic (deeper).

Can anyone recommend a sub to compliment these speakers under 1k?

Not sure whether to go passive or active. I definitely want it to be able to integrate with the EQ test feature of my amp (which tweaks room bass) but dont know what features to look for to achieve this.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I just got a REL T7 ($699 delivered here in oz) for a bedroom setup. Have a pair of older RELs in the main system and the newer models are a huge improvement on finish whilst being smaller an more discrete. I'd seriously suggest you consider another sub tho at some stage. I found the Jim Smith 'get better sound' DVD really useful and he states he'd rather have no sub than a single unit... something I scoffed at until I tried it. Improved imaging and much better bass integration.

• Like 1

I was in similar situation before, similar size room, got a Rel T2 sub and I've been pretty happy. 2ch and movie too... Recently, I've started playing around with speaker placement, seating, moving furnitures around and found good improvements in bass... Maybe worth a try first if you haven't already done so...

Thomas

• Like 1
I just got a REL T7 ($699 delivered here in oz) for a bedroom setup. Have a pair of older RELs in the main system and the newer models are a huge improvement on finish whilst being smaller an more discrete. I'd seriously suggest you consider another sub tho at some stage. I found the Jim Smith 'get better sound' DVD really useful and he states he'd rather have no sub than a single unit... something I scoffed at until I tried it. Improved imaging and much better bass integration.

$699 where from?

thanks all

• 4 weeks later...

I've narrowed down my choices to a BK XLS200 or XXLS400. Main reason is the finish\colour on them and their reputation.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

vs

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

I'm really really stuck on which one to get though and whether to get 2 vs 1 sub. 2 makes sense to me, how else will it reproduce stereo bass properly with just one with my music or am I missing something? and with my movies i dont want to rattle or fill my room I just want to feel a little thud in explosions. I cant make up my mind.

Can anyone with experience or knowledge of both subs comment? will the XXLS400 essentially give me the same as the XLS200 if I turn down the volume on it? i.e. Does the 400 just have more headroom?

If you want to listen to 2 channel, you need two.

I spoke to the guy at BK and he said your better off getting 1 x 400 over 2 x 200. But I dont think he understood me when I said that SPL was not what i was after.

Edited by marcs

I think you've answered your own question.

sorry forgot to mention when i said to him why not 2 subs? He said one 400 would be louder than 2 x 200 and he also said most people cant pick between 2 stereo subs over 1 mono in a room. Quite different from what i've read and loudness not being what I need, Im conflicted

Edited by marcs

Hi marcs,

If the setup is predominately 2ch then I think you will be hard pressed to find a better brand than REL. They are masters at Hi-Fi subs. I do wholeheartedly agree with CP on this one, for the absolute best results use 2. However you can always start with one and bring the second in later. I always urge people to go with 2 smaller rather than one larger in 2 ch applications.

PM for pricing if you are interested.

Cheers,

Hi marcs,

If the setup is predominately 2ch then I think you will be hard pressed to find a better brand than REL. They are masters at Hi-Fi subs. I do wholeheartedly agree with CP on this one, for the absolute best results use 2. However you can always start with one and bring the second in later. I always urge people to go with 2 smaller rather than one larger in 2 ch applications.

PM for pricing if you are interested.

Cheers,

thanks i know the REL's look great also but i ruled them out as they only come in gloss

How about a Dynaudio Sub 250 Compact? Not sure if they're available here yet but should complement your Dyns well.

yes looked at them also but couldnt find a local supplier and I think too expensive. Retails for around $1500 each?

For bit over $1100 I can get 2 x xls200's and they are atheistically exactly what i want.

Edited by marcs
2 makes sense to me, how else will it reproduce stereo bass properly with just one with my music or am I missing something?

I just wanted to address this question you had earlier. I'm no expert but this is what I'm aware of.

You can use just 1 sub because the lower the frequency, the less directional it is. It the less you will be able to determine where the bass is coming from. If you use only 1 sub, the left and right channels will sum so you'll still hear eg a bass note from the left and right.

It is recommended to use two subs not because stereo = two channels, but because having two different locations of the woofer/subwoofer can help cancel out any negative room resonances. With two subs, two different sets of room modes are excited, which can result in a smoother overall low-frequency balance. Secondly (and more so with a higher low pass setting), subwoofers can output harmonics due to distortion, and these are higher in frequency (and therefore more directional). So a single sub can pull the soundstage in a little. This is less of an issue for base-firing subs I believe.

• Like 1

The smaller subs with their 10" drivers are generally faster and easier to integrate than the larger ones. 

When I auditioned the JLaudio subs, I tried all three available sizes 10, 12 and 13". I very much preferred the F110 10" model over the other two because it sounded tighter and faster (to me) . Even though the F112 12" and F113 13" are known for their phenomenal speed I felt them to be a bit tubby in comparison to the F110, hence I felt the F110 was better suited to 2 channel duties from that audition. Esp since I use Apogee Stage ribbon speakers as my mains.

The venerated early 90s Muse Model 18 subwoofer (from the defunct Muse Audio Company) used two 10" drivers in a very large cabinet which produced very tight, deep and tuneful bass that could keep up with ribbon speakers like the Apogees.

Edited by triode12
  • Like 1

To Top