Decent floor standing speakers for under $1000?

I'm in the process of upgrading my quite modest system to something more impressive and I think my first move is some good speakers. Perhaps a better amplifier is needed, but the speakers are surely the weakest link.

I currently have some unknown Marantz floor standing speakers (possibly from the 80s) and the only thing to identify them is a serial number under which is printed "Precision crafted in New Zealand". "Impedance: 80Ohms".

I have a champagne coloured Denon f-88 (midi) system which includes separate amp, CD, tuner, and tape components and I also have a Rega RP1 with the Rega bias2 MM cart.

I listen to a lot of vinyl, and some CDs, mainly classical, 70s folk, rock and prog. Plus the system is connected to the blu-ray player and flat screen as a HT setup. In the future I might want to integrate it into a surround setup, but it's not a primary concern.

What suggestions would you have for some fine speakers under $1000? I'm actually thinking under $800, but if it's worth it, I might cave in to something more expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think you'll probably need a better amp to get the best out of any decent speakers you buy.

Absolutely right.

No offence intended to the OP,  but without an amp upgrade it would be a complete waste of money. If I were in the same position, I would wait a little longer and budget about $500 extra for a decent integrated amplifier,especially since there will be a lot of vinyl listening.

Just my 02.

A speaker upgrade first is a very smart choice as they make the biggest difference to sound. Unless your amp is underpowered I'd suggest getting an amp at the same time.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• Volunteer

The trouble with asking questions on this forum is that people give good advice which is bound to blow your budget! Its great spending other peoples money. But you did mention $1000 — I think that would get you a secondhand Cambridge, NAD amp or similar and some reasonable speakers that will blow the socks off your current system.

Cambridge 640A v2           http://www.synergyaudio.com/3/storenewarrivals.aspx

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nad-C350-integrated-amplifier-/181065987015?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a285fb3c7&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1213

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/49826-fs-nad-c352-integrated-amp/

Edited by buddyev

Thanks to all for the input and thanks for the links Newman and buddyev!

Considering purchasing speakers has logically lead onto the need for a decent amp. Fortunately I think I can stretch the budget out a little to do both.

(Now comes the issue of whether or not my CD player or blu ray player is up to the task of the amp/speaker combo. Hopefully are sufficient!)

Finding speakers was going to be arduous enough, but both is going to compound the decisions. Especially as I'd be trashing the core units of my system and starting from scratch.

What should be considered in terms of matching the amp and speakers?

Is there any benefit in buying new equipment?

• Volunteer

I'd go secondhand—keep your eye on the classifieds on this forum. Far more bang for the buck. 

I think I'd get the amp and speakers sorted first—they will give you the biggest immediate improvement—then think about the other elements.

The link to the ex-demo Cambridge amp is worth a good look.

Hi Newbie and welcome to the forum :)

Try to listen to the Magnepan MMG, which are $1000 new.

I love the sound of my (larger) Magnepans.

They made a huge difference to my previous setup, even though I am only running them with a smallish 2 x 40 Watt Class-D amp, which is "against the rules".

Good luck

Take a good look at the Orpheus Aurora 3s in the classifieds. If they were made  o/s, they would cost much much more.

They are excellent floorstanders for both 2 channel duties and HT - and hard to beat at that price.

An upgrade of your amplification etc would give you a big boost in sq too, but as budget and other priorities always dictate, you could do a lot worse than these as a starting point.

I agree 100% with what Danter has posted. The Orpheus speakers are superb and IMO are one of audio's best kept secrets. They are beautifully made and sound great on all types of music and from my own experience they can really rock if needed.

I had a pair some time back and regret selling them to this day.