Looking at reel to reel

tallman5353

Hi all

Just recently have become interested in getting a reel to reel.

I have two options, an Akai GX-4000D for $220 and a Revox A-77 Mk1 for $350, both in excellent condition.

Is it worth justifying  the extra  $130?

Thanks

Edited by tallman5353
Hi all

Just recently have become interested in getting a reel to reel.

I have two options, an Akai GX-4000D for $220 and a Revox A-77 Mk1 for $350, both in excellent condition.

Is it worth justifying  the extra  $130?

Thanks

IF the heads and the mechanics of the A-77 are top notch, then it is certainly the one to buy. The A-77 can be a little difficult to service, compared to the Akai, but the sound quality is first rate.

This seems to be the ultimate in reel to reel,  www.tapeproject.com  not for the faint hearted though, 

I have built and heard quite a bit of bottlehead gear and I think for the price it is very good

Well i ended up getting the Akai (for $200) as i don't have the funds to stretch to the revox.

In great condition, has been recently fully serviced and sounds/records great. Rewinding ain't quick but i can live with that. It has glass/ferrite heads so it should last a fair time. Also got 4 reels of Scotch 177/176 tape so can't complain.

Just found this thread, the tapeproject looks really interesting especially some of the series 3 releases named.... Out of curiosity anyone know of any technicians that can service reel to reel players... I have a Otari and a teach that could do with a looking over here in Adelaide...

Just found this thread, the tapeproject looks really interesting especially some of the series 3 releases named.... Out of curiosity anyone know of any technicians that can service reel to reel players... I have a Otari and a teach that could do with a looking over here in Adelaide...

You could try challenge hiifi or force electronics, but the guy i actually bought it off sells and services vintage gear. In adelaide too. PM me for details