Windows 8 (for a desktop machine)

As the title suggests, I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) on an i5 (first gen), two (or three) screen machine, 8GB RAM, without touch capability. I note that Windows 8 (+ media centre) is available 'till the end of the month for less than 50 Bucks. Seems like a decent deal to me. The questions:

Is it worth upgrading?

Will I notice any benefits/downsides?

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

New learning curve, I downloaded a small program called Classic Shell, now my windows 8 looks and feels like windows 7 except there is a lot of Xbox stuff trying to get me to sign up for an account. Bloody annoying.

• Like 1

Very simple answer - NO! Not under the treat of torture in an iron maiden. There are so many reasons I do not know where to start. I was so annoyed after the first half an hour that I wanted to reformat  the HDD and install WIn 7.

• Like 1

Apart from the touchscreen orientated overlay and annoying moving of most useful things, the main thing you might like is the improved utility with multiple monitors.

If you use the Windows 7 "XP mode" to run older apps, this is no longer available in Windows 8.

Back in the day, they used to say that version 8 of most apps tended to be undercooked, my feelings about IOS for the desktop.

I have tried it (briefly) and even bought an upgrade edition for $15 to keep in case I change my mind in future.

Suggest you install an extra HDD for your W8 experiment and dual boot from separate system drives.

I am currently doing that with XP & 7/64 since some of my audio hardware will not work in 7 (forget 8).

Edited by ophool

It's fine for me, I really like it, not had any trouble. read up on the shortcut keys and how search works and you should be fine.

I think a lot of people just load it up and expect everything to as it was under win7, well it's not its a whole new ball game.

People are bemoaning the loads of the start button, well you've just got to think. That they've moved the start button onto the main screen.

The interface is totally different Zaph. The industry view is that most corporate organisations should give it a miss.

I don't know you will get a lot of benefit from it but you will get a lot of frustration. If it is for personal use, you might be prepared to go through the learning curve. If it is also to be used for your business, I would give it a miss. Most of the benefits will not be realised unless you have Office 2013.

• Like 1

As the title suggests, I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) on an i5 (first gen), two (or three) screen machine, 8GB RAM, without touch capability. I note that Windows 8 (+ media centre) is available 'till the end of the month for less than 50 Bucks. Seems like a decent deal to me. The questions:

Is it worth upgrading?

Will I notice any benefits/downsides?

It seems like I'am the only contended user of Windows 8, installed it on a laptop that came bundled with Vista, what can I say awesome.

The booting time is great, so is the battery life.

Just install Classic Shell and you will be fine, and yes I do know about computers- been a Sys admin myself :)

I migrated our HTPC to it a few months back, runs TV mostly but a whole heap of other stuff as well - it has been a learning curve for sure but I would hesitate to go back now that I've invested so much time into learning it. There were no changes in WMC, so no real benefit there.

It seems like I'am the only contended user of Windows 8, installed it on a laptop that came bundled with Vista, what can I say awesome.

The booting time is great, so is the battery life.

Just install Classic Shell and you will be fine, and yes I do know about computers- been a Sys admin myself :)

Compared to Vista  DOS 6 is an absolute winner. I would take a spoon of ricinus oil rather then a laptop with Vista.

I installed WMC on my HTPC, and don't notice any difference to the Win 7 version.

Back in Win8, the only GUI difference is the Start screen.

Once you run a program (not an app), you're back in the familiar desktop.

There's even a tile on the Start screen that takes you to the desktop.

I spent $5 at Stardock and got Start8.

Gave me an advanced start menu and all is well.

I quite like it, and the upgrade offer is pretty good considering what it will jump to. I use Pokki (free) for the start menu. I don't see a huge amount of difference but can see there will be . Office13 will be the big change I exxpect

Zaph , I successfully ran a htpc with W7 and WMC for years. I run a media server with Win 8 and Jriver media centre and it works well.

I built a new htpc after the motherboard failed on the old one , installed Win8 and win8 mc and have had no end of problems : freezes , restarts , files going missing etc.

I would stick with Win7 for now if using WMC.

Actually Vista with the SP1 was reasonably fast. I usually dispensed with Aero so it kept the same lines as XP. I recall MS doing a few roadshows to demonstrate that.

Win7 still streamlines a few things (particularly the network connection which reduced the no of steps needed to get to the connection list) but by and large Vista was quite usable.

Compared to Vista  DOS 6 is an absolute winner. I would take a spoon of ricinus oil rather then a laptop with Vista.

We have a laptop at home running Vista and although no problems it is damned slow and seems to have no benefit over XP, if anything disadvantages.

Win 7 on our desktop is great. Quick, easy etc. Given how Win 7 has been very good I really can't see the point of going to Win 8. At very least I'd wait until it has been around a while and had a few problems ironed out.

DS

• Like 1

Win 7 is the best O/S by MS so far.

Why?

I reckon install Windows 8 now at the download discount price of $39.99 with Stardock Start 8 for $4.99 for the win.

Off the top of my head the advantages are:

1) Faster at most things.

2) USB3 support.

3) The ability to pause file copies and moves.

4) The Windows store which seemingly will have more apps available in the future.

Off the top of my head the disadvantages are:

1) No more gadgets on the desktop as this has been deprecated in Windows 8. I use to use CPU, RAM and HDD meters.

Cheers.

Why?

I reckon install Windows 8 now at the download discount price of $39.99 with Stardock Start 8 for $4.99 for the win.

Off the top of my head the advantages are:

1) Faster at most things.

2) USB3 support.

3) The ability to pause file copies and moves.

4) The Windows store which seemingly will have more apps available in the future.

Off the top of my head the disadvantages are:

1) No more gadgets on the desktop as this has been deprecated in Windows 8. I use to use CPU, RAM and HDD meters.

Cheers.

I generally agree S , my major problems only started when I installed the WMC add- on. I use Classic shell rather than Start8 but it has the same effect ie I don't have to bother with the Metro interface unless I want to.

Edited by Ozcall

I use Classic shell rather than Start8 but it has the same effect ie I don't have to bother with the Metro interface unless I want to.

Can Classic Shell make Windows 8 boot directly to the desktop and disable all Windows 8 charms?

I never use the Metro interface. Start 8 creates shortcuts in the start menu for all Metro apps installed.

Currently using Win 8 on a netbook. Private user. I am trying to train my elderly father in its use.  Win8 sucks.

Classicshell is essential. 

Remember when MS introduced the Ribbon in Office, and how it destroyed the productivity of experienced users?  Or the bouncy paper clip to "help"?  Well, they promoted those people and gave them an operating system to play with, and called it Win 8.

My friend the MS certified Engineer has helped me through this schemozzle.  He says MS get every second operating system right, but the one in between is a rushed-to-market balls-up.  Win 7 is good.  Stick with it.

Specifics:

- login screen, lock screen, had to kill those

- no start button - had to use ClassicShell

- Search functionality is so feature-rich it is incoherent and unusable

- need to learn new terminology, also apps (may or may not be like phone apps), links to often-used programs and sites change at what appears to be random intervals

- Win8 hides all its OS paths in weird counter-intuitive places so you can't customise.  And MS likes to think they can do your thinking for you.

Zaphod, this is the Sirius Cybernetics Corp in action..