Music Reference Amps - Anyone own these amps?

I know a little about them.

I've heard the RM9  a few time over the years.

Trevor Lees bought most of them over from California so you could call him for some info.

What do you actually want to know?

Herby

Hi Herby, Protournesol,

The last time I heard the RM9 was in the late 80s so my memory of the sound can't be relied on.

I recently acquired a RM5MkII preamp and it sounds fabulous, I was just wanting to find out how the RM9 sounds?

Does it sound like a traditional tube amp? rolled off on top and loose in the bass? I'm thinking of getting one down the track.

Edited by triode12

I haven't heard one for ages but I would say, from memory, that it's a pretty "traditional" sound.

Euphonic, slightly flabby bass, lacks a bit of top end extension but very musical and easy to live with.

Depends what your after I suppose.

They were simply but well built, the circuit was supposed to be modeled on the famous Marantz 9 power amp and Roger Modjeski was considered a good designer back in the day.

Herby

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

I think I'll pass on them then - I am not fond of the traditional tube sound. Might look at his new amp the RM200 which is a hybrid and can handle lower impedences like 2 Ohms - main speakers are Apogee Stages.

Edited by triode12
  • 2 weeks later...