PD 350...The circle of Life.

unclemack

Hi all,

just thought i'd post an update. The TT has been with Carl for the past three weeks. He called me today to tell me that it has been with someone who has been running it pretty much non-stop for the past two weeks connected to an Oscilloscope and it has run true to speed all the way...hasn't missed a beat!!!

Now that he has it back, I've asked that he run the thing all day, everyday for the next few days to see how it behaves playing records. If it still stays true then I'll pick it up and give it another go.

If, on the other hand, it goes mad again I will consider giving up. Now, giving up means the following. Carl has a mint PD310 and has offered to swap this with me for the 350, transplanting the FR54 and cart to the 310. he will keep the 350 to sell for whatever he can get for it. This means that I will not be saddled with a dead classic...maybe a white elephant and, I will also have a working, great condition Luxman to play with again...

Rock and hard place time....

M

Typical that the Luxman behaved itself while in the hands of others(this phenomena extends to more than just turntables!)

Bet your scratching your head M.

So are you going to do the swap?

Good luck which ever way you go.

Keep the PD350 and buy the PD310. That way you have two tables. The 350 is supposed to be the better sounding table

Nice idea but I am now broke.... can't be done.

Telecine, I believe that the fault can be induced but I don't know what that means.

basic problem is that there is NO schematic, anywhere. 

I am so frustrated in that, if I knew anything about electronics, I could start somewhere but I don't and so rely on those that do... There has to be a point where one says, that is all I can do, time to move on.

Telecine, I believe that the fault can be induced but I don't know what that means.

I am so frustrated in that, if I knew anything about electronics, I could start somewhere but I don't and so rely on those that do... There has to be a point where one says, that is all I can do, time to move on.

Hi M.

totally understand . congrat on the news . hope it work like a champ from now on......

Duc

Nothing worse than spending good after bad.

Is Carl the expert on Luxman dd tables?  

Nothing worse than spending good after bad.

Is Carl the expert on Luxman dd tables?  

As far as I can tell, there is no expert on these TTs.Unless you're in Japan or Germany.

Carl basically thinks that HiFi finished in 1980 so he's an expert in anything vintage I guess...

You are in a difficult spot. If the fault can be induced, that means you can cause it to occur. If that can be repeated, it can be diagnosed. The problem here is that, without a schematic, no one knows what is faulty and therefore what to replace. Even if you know what part is faulty, and something is, you probably cannot get a replacement part.

I wonder whether or not you might be able to purchase a speed controller for it aftermarket. Something like a Hercules Mose. Worth making some enquiries since that is the area where you are having problems. Lots of owners of various models of turntables use these with their original motors.

I've thought about replacing the motor with an outboard unit or some kind of bypass system that could be applied but I just don't know enough about this to know what is possible or practical...

Edited by unclemack

This is a heartbreak read!

Do the sums - Value of the 350 if it was working, less the value of the 310 and there's your loss - is the loss worth wearing to lose the aggravation?

Personally, I would stick with it as I would always look at the 310 and think it should be the 350. 

Here's hoping the damn 350 will keep working without missing a beat. (I had a run a while back with a string of vintage gear playing up - swore I would only buy new and I still cant resist)

• Like 1

I've thought about replacing the motor with an outboard unit or some kind of bypass system that could be applied but I just don't know enough about this to know what is possible or practical...

Ask member Edmund123 on Vinyl Engine, he is the manufacturer of the Hercules Mose and would be able to tell you what is practical/achievable. Edited by Telecine
This is a heartbreak read!

Do the sums - Value of the 350 if it was working, less the value of the 310 and there's your loss - is the loss worth wearing to lose the aggravation?

Personally, I would stick with it as I would always look at the 310 and think it should be the 350. 

Here's hoping the damn 350 will keep working without missing a beat. (I had a run a while back with a string of vintage gear playing up - swore I would only buy new and I still cant resist)

Look Michael, I will always love the vintage gear but I really want to play records and right now I can't. That's a big price to pay for nostalgic desire. I will always want the 350 to be "the One" but I will always want Pat Kidney back in '73 and will always want Kate Baxter to love me forever but some things in life are just not available.. So maybe it's time to let this F**ker go...If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!

• Like 1

I'd stick with it too Uncle, you've invested too much now to let it go.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but the PD350 I owned never had one single problem in the 9 odd years I owned it, and I can only imagine the drama that you have endured thus far to get it going.

If it does have speed problems again, that might be the time to think about the outboard motor unit option, as suggested.

Easy for me to say as I'm not in your position, but having also heard a PD310 a few times I do feel the 350 was a definite step up, and you'd forever be thinking "what if"?

I wonder if it is voltage related. You might want to get it put on a variac and alter he voltage slightly to see whether or not it induces the fault.

If this is the cause? maybe using a power regulating unit like the Thor would help keep it stable? Assuming it runs fine on 240v.

Just throwing ideas around,,,,,,

If this is the cause? maybe using a power regulating unit like the Thor would help keep it stable? Assuming it runs fine on 240v.

Just throwing ideas around,,,,,,

Mmmmm good point - unclemack - is this 100V and on a step-down transformer ? 

if so and if it works at other places but plays up at yours, I would definitely suspect the step-down 

Mmmmm good point - unclemack - is this 100V and on a step-down transformer ? 

if so and if it works at other places but plays up at yours, I would definitely suspect the step-down 

No, it's a 240 volt. If it's a voltage thing then I would think the outboard power supply would be the main suspect wouldn't it/

Cheers

M