sub for 2 channel set up

happydog

Hi everyone,

hoping someone can help. Have done some research but can't find the answer I am looking for.

I have a large rumpus room with a Yamaha AX892 2 channel amp driving four floor standing Canton speakers (A+B). 

I would love to add a sub to this setup but have no idea how to go about it. There is no sub-out on the amp. 

I have read that I can simply wire a powered sub into the speaker wires of one of the speakers, but this feels wrong to me. I really don't want to do anything that might damage this old amp. 

Do I need to add another amp?

Oh and I haven't bought the sub yet.

Thanks

Andrew

If you buy a sub which has high-leve/speaker-level inputs, you can connect your amplifier speaker outputs to the subwoofer high-level inputs without any fear of killing your amp. Such inputs on the sub amp are very high impedance and present a negligable load on the amplifier.

If you buy a sub which has high-leve/speaker-level inputs, you can connect your amplifier speaker outputs to the subwoofer high-level inputs without any fear of killing your amp. Such inputs on the sub amp are very high impedance and present a negligable load on the amplifier.

Thanks - the sub I am looking at does have speaker inputs.....

You may, but some subs accept a stereo input, and some receivers will output a mono signal to the left channel of the pre-out if only one RCA cable is connected. So you'd need to check the sub/receiver first.

Edited by CP_
Yeah it does - so an RCA lead from the pre out to the line in on the sub?

at least now you can start trying a few things as already suggested. :thumb:

at least now you can start trying a few things as already suggested. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I bought the sub - a richter Thor mkiii for a couple hundred. I will try the speaker in first and then maybe try the pre out - I can't hurt anything can I?