Blu-ray player for CD playback?

Hopefully this hasn't been covered elsewhere...

I'm thinking of buying a blu ray player (I had my eye on the Pioneer BDP-150) to replace my present DVD/video player combo and also possibly act as a CD player. I have a Denon system from the early 2000s - would a cheapish blu ray player be better for CD playback than an older Denon or would it be wise to keep the CD player?

Thanks for your help!

i have my old sony connected at the moment at to be honest, sound like absolute crap.

the oppo is suppose to be good, have never heard one to comment though.

Depends on what your budget is and also just how often you listen to music. Are you mainly using the system as a HT set up or is the old Denon just for your music? 

A good DVD/CD player will have a twin laser system to handle both formats.

The Pioneer you mention at a $150 is a capable machine by all reports just remember it probably wont be region free for bluerays.

Given that you will likely purchase a BluRay player, just do a comparison when you get it. As others have said, some BluRay players are better than others for CD playback. Whether or not it is better than the Denon will depend on what model Denon it is.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

My Denon is an F-88. As far as I know it's not top of the line, but not terrible either.

I'm primarily concerned about sound over picture quality and the Pioneer is multi region DVD which is probably more useful at this point than multi region Blu ray (I own a bunch of international DVDs but no blu rays). It also seems to have every other feature one would want.

I listen to music more than anything, but I realised how 20th century I was when I actually watched a video the other day - in 4:3.

From what I've read, Oppo seems to be great, and I just looked up the Cambridge Audio player but I want to restrict my budget as otherwise things will get out of hand! I should actually invest in some better speakers first if I were to be spending that much.

Cheers!

Hi ramblin 

The new Oppo BDP -103AU is a great value for money all round player.  ( you can make them multi region for both DVD and bluray)

It has SACD, HDCD playback capability as well as a solid Red Book performance.

The Oppo fully supports High res lossless Flac and wav formats.

Not to mention the best video playback performance this price point has ever seen.

Bigears

Ok. I take back the last post... just as I took back the Pioneer 150.

It just wasn't going to be good enough as I've decided to improve my whole system.

I'm now going to look for an oppo or similar quality player which will hopefully be around the $400 mark.

• Like 1