Refurbishment of cave, any ideas/advice?

Moves are afoot to make my room into a better looking, more functional room. Budget is kind of minimal and dependant on me stopping kit purchases... :angry: . I'll be trying to do a lot of it as contra and towards that end I've been working for a chippy excavating his back yard and now it's time to call the favour in and ...it's a big one too and I have to keep the Handbrake onside so she's got a fair bit of sway but I have the final say on the hifi part of it.

So I took some photo's and then I drew some crummy lines with a mouse because I know no better and I hope you can get an idea of where I'm headed, so here's the room as it is.

This is looking in through the open doorway(no door yet)

IMG_1488.jpg

This is looking back to the doorway and you'll see the angled wall where my desk is so the room's not symmetrical and it measures L5mxW4mxH2.6 and it's carpeted and will be again on particleboard(3m cavity under the joists, sloping land)

IMG_1487.jpg

This wall currently houses my books and the bookcases are going and it'll be bare for the moment apart from paintings. The desk and filing cabinet will be going and some bespoke bit of furniture will be made to fit into that angled wall you can see above  ^ ^ ^

IMG_1486.jpg

The chesterfield will be going across the room in front of my hopefully new desk and it will be the listening lounge I think. This is the Handbrake's idea and at this stage I'm going along but if it ends up making the small room pokey then bye bye chesterfield off you go to another room or you go against the wall where the bookshelves are now which wont be the greatest listening posie but...

Now this is the wall that is going to be changed

IMG_1485.jpg

The window will be filled in and the wall will become shelving for the books and a bench/cabinet will runn across the length of the bottom.

Here is my really bad rendition via a mouse and a photo edit of what I'm thinking about.

Untitled-2.jpg

I can do all new wiring because of the space under the floor and have dedicated p/points and ethernet and TV aerial etc coming up through the floor at the back of the existing gear you can see there. The bench /cabinet top will be timber of some kind not mdf or anything like that but the shelving might be some kind of veneer. the most important thing for me is housing the the new gear I'm err might be getting in the near future or thereabouts.

So I'm open to suggestions at this stage and I'll post up some pics of shelving/cabinet/racks I've seen as I come across them. No idea of budget and I'm not thinking about it to be honest apart from trying to curb my baser instincts which is to just do what I want and worry about it later. The tubes that are coming need to be displayed you see. I didn't say that.

One thing I was thinking of was cable management and what a hassle they can be if as we do, we keep changing IC's and speaker cables etc. I thought to rout out an opening say 1m long and 50mm wide or a bit better at the back of the bench so the cables could just drop through with out any restrictions and also to keep the bottom shelf of the unit and the cupboards off the floor by the width of a chunky power cable and then a bit more (to futureproof it if some cables arrived for instance that Shunyata lent me or someone's DIY's something like that...). The Handbrake reckons the shelves directly underneath the bench where the amp/cdp/TT will sit could have slide away cupboards so as to keep the dust off any kit in there. I immediately smelt a rat but I'm still trying to work out what kind it is, so far I can't pick a valid reason to say no and my feeble excuse that I like to look at the lights is not working.

So that's where I'm at :)

Luc...need a floor plan to work with...not something by Mr Squiggle...though everything you have said makes sense (now that kind of worries me).

You have no idea how much I laugh at your explanation/s of the negotiation process between you and your better half...just cracks me up.

Now get to it...a floor plan please...existing and proposed...Rob

I'll need to dig out the pics of my entertainment unit - sadly finished only about 6 months before we moved out! Anyway, I used pocket doors with painted wire mesh inserts. This meant you could use remotes through the mesh but keep the gear hidden most of the time, but when you wanted to look at the gear you could slide the doors back into the pockets. More expensive than just sliding doors, but keeps everyone happy.

Floorplan eh, OK I'll see what I can do. The doors sound interesting Mark, I hope you find those pics.

You know I clean forgot about CD storage and future LP storage( facepalm!).

I might be offline for a few days as my PC is making a bearing about to shatter type noise so a guess a fan is on it's way out but I'll look for a program that let's me draw up a better floor plan...Mr Squiggle, it's not that bad, i thought I did a good job on the TV. :cool:

Thanks LP, I'll grab it later on.

I only think it's a fan(hope it's not a hdd), I'll drop it into the guys who built it, they'll know what to do but that's also why it might take a day or so to get back.

Hey Lee, I noticed a copy of de Quincey's, "The Opium Eater", on your shelves. Quintessential naro-lit! I always told my kids when they were looking for flatmates, check out their bookshelves & record collections. It is always the best way to tell if it was going to work out or not. Can't live with someone who's got a shyte book or music collection :) .

p.s. nice room. Good furniture for brandy & Cubans.

• Like 1

Hiya mikey, yeah the room was set up originally for just that kinda feeling but it's a bit shabby now as the hifi gear starts to take over. Hopefully I'll get back to what I'd like in the near future. I'm up at the GC at the moment looking about for inspiration and ideas, plus I'm letting the Handbrake run amok in the shops here as I work out a way to tell her about the amp I'm ordering which is the real reason for the room makeover as valves need to be seen don't they. Sneaky ?.. absolutely!

Djb that chesterfield was handmade 30 years ago, antique French leather fully buttoned and a Jarrah frame I'd like to keep it in there but if it's got to go well out it goes.

I must of forgot to hit the post button..................but anyway, I was saying..............

Open the case, stick your finger into each fan alternatively to stop it.

When the noise stops, you've found the culprit!

It's unlikely to be a CPU fan, as they use good ball bearing fans these days.

But case fans are a different matter!

These are usually sleeve bearings.

They are easily replaced for less than 10 bucks.

A decent ball bearing fan might cost 15-20...........depending on the size.

• Like 1

Thanks LP, I'll remember that for the future. I took the tower down to pc guy and said ring me with good or bad news... of course he didn't.

Just got home from a shopping day with the Handbrake and I'm reduced to predictive text on the Samsung as I face a evening of withdrawal from SNA, not an easy night.

Bloody tower's a gaming one with lights and clear side panels too, easy to get into, but I had no time this morning.

• 1 month later...

Very slowly. My work has slowed down because of the constant rain and the idea of just smashing this into reality went out the door. But having said that, I've come to an accommodation with the Handbrake and we're in the process of emptying the room of everything bar my sound gear and I'm working furiously to reel in a couple of big favours owed by a few tradesmen to get this started.

Main bugbear at this stage is trying to work out what to do the new shelving in for the many books (much more than your average person, even after some judicious pruning as much that hurts). A cheapo mdf coated in some kind of neutral white colour and then I have the actual shelf/bench that the hifi gear will sit on which will run the width of the rear wall(about 4m or so) and under it will be further shelving behind cupboard doors.

So it's still in it's nascent stage but I'm moving ahead. When you don't have the luxury of a steady income your wishes and needs waft up and down with the available work :) . The room is nearly emptied now and decisions are about to happen!

Yes I did and the PSU's fan was buggered from my continual removal of it to clean it. Last clean it didn't reseat properly(my fault) and as a result it was spinning on an angle slightly off axis I guess and the PC decided enough was enough and shut things down.

A new fan and a new push-in pull-out clip later and things are back to normal and it sits quietly running 24/7 with just the slightest of fan noises. So quiet in fact that I kept looking at it the first few days wondering if it was actually running, so that's a good thing LP I reckon.

Will post some pics as soon as I get stuck into pulling carpet up and drilling discrete holes in the wall...oh OK then. Bashing biggish holes in walls and beginning new wiring ect prior to re-sheeting and shelving. :)

Erm...yeah of course I should of LP but then again I'd love to go water cooled but just kinda know my limitations. :blink:

What type/brand is that btw?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I need some advice come help. I'm  currently working(self employed and variable) which means I'm making money so I've called in some favours from a chippy or two and one of them has gone away with some exact but rough measurements(yeah I know that's a paradox but bear with me) on making up my intial idea of bookshelves all over the above wall and a bench right across the room and the centre will house the system.

I know I should go hi-tech and pop up a proper room measurement and perhaps a cad but I couldn't be bothered at this stage.

So what I need is your ideas on these things:-

1. The bench height+width? Which will go right across the room and it'll be out of solid timber at this stage and my initial thoughts are 500-530mm high and 500mm deep. I've measured all my bits and pieces of hifi gear and they all seem to fall in the 400 to 450mm range, that's a Rega amp, a Redgum SonofaGum, an old TT(that's another story :rolleyes: ), the Raysonic which is actually 480mm and three Sansui's which are 400mm and a couple of receivers which are 430mm.   The Raysonic and any future valve amps or TT's(yeah right...) will sit on the bench itself and under it will be some shelves with the backs routered out to accommodate all the cables.

• Are your units(tables, shelves ect) that house your system sitting on a bench close to this measurement in regards to height+width?

• Would you ever think about having a pullout shelf or two for convenience in regards to changing IC's/Speaker cables ect? Like picture my room above with its bench running across it and in the middle is where the system is. Open some doors and slide them into the unit and slide the shelves out. I'm kinda thinking it goes against everything we think we should be doing as far as having our gear on a solid base and isolated if possible.

My problem then is how to swap+change IC's ect as I'll have bookshelves above and a TV or PC monitor fixed on the wall and a difficult task to reach around the back of the bench/first/second shelf to switch cables. Unless I don't put any sides on the unit under the across the room timber bench...

Is that all as clear as mud?

*@Newman.

Where that desk is that the PC is on and the filing cabinet and shelf ...that'll all go and I'll get a bespoke design+built desk to wrap right around that 45 degree angle wall and hopefully set up my streaming set up.

• There is a walk in cavity underneath this room so cabling and as much hard wiring as I want can be done really easily and possibly building in/housing some, power conditioning as well and that's something I know bugger all about. I mention to my young sparky and his eyes kinda glaze over...

At the moment the most pressing question is how high and how wide to make this across the room bench. I'd really appreciate some input here :)and my bulleting/numbering is rubbish!

I'd agree with that ^^^^^.

As far as your bench dimensions go I'd give yourself room to hold your connections inside it for each component. The extra depth will depend on your components now (and future). As an idea Luc, my Raysonic sits on top of my rack as in the pic in the Wood thread and the shelf it's on is probably close to 450 deep x 620 wide. So I think in an enclosed area like what you are proposing in your bench, agreed you'd want to allow at least 500mm depth for any sizeable components and their associated cabling. Heightwise for the bench, I'd use what ever it is that sits on the top of the bench that you use the most to work out your height. If its your disc player, do you want to be bending down too far to swap discs all the time. If you want low and sleek and don't mind doing so, 450mm is probably an accepted height. If not Id go 600mm high. Essentially, I would work out your layout including The dimensions of tour gear and see what size works for you. I'd not do pull out shelves, as you mention, not a solid base, and with drawer slides you get what you pay for. Cheap ones are just that, cheap and usually average. Just make sure you have length on cables behind your equipment that allows you to pull it out far enough to get behind it. I've had the issue before where my system has been in a similar setup to what you are proposing and my cables weren't long enough to do this. It was a right pain. Perhaps you can get your chippy mate to build you a matching stool/platform that you can use to sit components on when you pull them out to change your cables. One other thing to think about is generated heat. If you can, maybe ventilation holes in the back panel at the top of the bench would be a good thing too. Think that about covers everything.

Edited by shaky

Thanks guys for the advice. Unfortunately the books have to go on that wall as that's the idea of the whole makeover but when the desk is done there will probably be shelves with books on that wall too(I have a lot of books).

The cabling is a worry, the access to the gear to plug/unplug being the main concern. The Handbrake suggested a lift-out section or a secret hinged benchtop so I could open it up to reach down and do this...I'd never thought of that and that might be worth a bit of investigation. Perhaps the next shelf could be a shortened one that again allows me to access the bottom level, meaning I'm not pulling gear right out to unplug it.

I've thought of ventilation and I don't think I'll have too much of a drama there as I can either leave the backs of any cupboards completely open or router out ventilation openings(large ones which would also double up as cable ingress egress.

A bit more research is needed I think before I can start.