Don't you just know when you're having one of THOSE days?

Monkeyboi

You just know when you’re having one of those days. :(

Decided to print a few discs yesterday, so after dragging out the old Epson R310 and firing it up it needed new ink.  So purchased new ink cartridges and installed them.  Did a test print which didn’t look that flash so I ran the nozzle check and print head clean utility.  Printed the test page, magenta printing with gaps.   So RTFM (read the frigin’ manual) and it says to repeat the process which I did several times without improvement.  I suspect the print head is knackered or the ink has dried up in some of the jets.  :mad:

Figuring it was only a disc labels I wanted to print I didn’t care too much if the image didn’t come out perfectly I’d go ahead anyway.  Hmmmm...... now where did I put the CD/DVD tray?  Found the 8cm inset for small discs but no sign of the actual tray.  (sigh)  Hunted high and low (which became an excuse for a clean-up of the study), but still no joy.  Only a couple of options – buy a replacement tray – yep one on eBay for $9.99 + free postage or buy a new printer.

Opted for the latter.  Got an Epson Artisan 730. http://www.epson.com.au/products/multifunctional/artisan730.asp

$149.00 at Officejerks which I could buy today (Sunday), figuring I’d already wasted money on new ink carts and when the replacement tray arrived it might not work well anyway as printing discs on the R310 was a PITA anyway.

The new A730 printer prints CD/DVDs in under a minute.  Plus it’s networkable (Ethernet or Wi-fi), and the CD/DVD tray is built into the printer so I’m not going to be losing it am I?  Gotta love that.  :thumb:   It’s also a scanner , not that I need another one, the unit in the Samsung laser MFC is better and has an ADF.  Only downside is the cost of the ink carts.  A full set of Epson high capacity carts cost more than a new printer, but the printer comes with a $25 voucher to use on Epson consumables, so I figured it was better than a kick in the rubber parts - LOL.

Sad when you think of it.  We live in a disposable society where it is logistically cheaper to replace something rather than repair it.  Never the less the ink cartridges won't go to waste.  A mate of mine has an R310 which I think is still a worker.  I'll give them to him.  At least they won't end up in the bin!

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 1
Can't you do all this in the Qantas Lounge?

Nah, no DVD trays in their printers.  :P   Besides LP, I'm trying to avoid travelling if possible, but I've got to go to Tassie in March, so prolly no posts from the Q lounges until then. :D

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1