Upgrade Technics 1210 mk2 with RB700

Bomber Rock

Have been tempted by the bling of the RB700 for sale at the moment in the classifieds. Let's face it, would look hot on my TT.

Before I plunge the cash (which I was planning to use on other upgrades - new cartridge and Funk Firm achromat) I thought I would do some googling but can't really find the answer to my particular situation.

What I have learned so far is that the stock arm is considered to be the weak point on the Techy. There are plenty who have replaced the stock arm with the RB300 and there seems to be two main schools of thought on this.

The first is that any upgrade path with these TT's must involve the replacement of the stock arm to realise the full potential of the table's favourable features. These guys would argue that money spent on rewiring and dampening the stock arm is wasted when the arm is eventually upgraded to make the most of other upgrades.

The second is that the money is better spent on a rewire and dampening to try and tame the tonearms resonance. Money saved can be used on other things (cartridge, mat, bearing etc.. or even more music). I have read people in this camp suggest that the Rega arms just don't synergise with Technics tables and prefer the sound of the rewired and damped stock arms.

As everyone seems to compare the stock technics with the RB300, I have no real opinions of others to draw on regarding the RB700.

I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or opinions on this to share.

It should be noted that I will most likely not reap the rewards of a better tonearm at the moment due to my associated equipment. I have a cheaper AT cartridge and am using the in built phono on the Emotiva pre amp. I'm not too concerned as I will be doing other upgrades over time, which will hopefully enable me to enjoy the better tonearm in time. Hmm, maybe I'm doing things backwards? Chicken or egg?

Thoughts?

I had an SL1210 a few years back that I played around with.

I installed an RB300 arm, and didn't think it was worth the hassle to be honest.

I ended up going back to the stock arm, not just because I didn't think the RB300 sounded any better, but the stock arm has VTA adjustment and is nicer to use in my opinion.

The biggest upgrade I found was a Sound Dead Steel isoplatmat.

http://www.sounddeadsteel.com/hifi.html

I didn't get around to upgrading the bearing or power supply though.

Jelco 750D arms go alright too Bomber , sounds like you will have some fun with future upgrades and the Techies really respond to upgraded arms , bearings , PSU's and platters.

Bought a very basic ie had a hard life 1200mk11 to test the KABUSA theory that these are audiophile TT s

Now very recently sold

I don't believe 1200 can reach audiophile quality

SP10 yes

The arm would seem to be biggest initial problem

I'd prefer rega 250 if I were to try this futile task

Rega 700 fantastic arm wasted on this project

Do your Simms add up entire set of upgrades add new price of 1200 what can you buy as belt drive near new for this money ?

Heat shrink question

Pauper teen mate of geek has broken the tonearm on a hitachi model number to come

Break is near the head shell all wiring intact

Any one tried a couple of runs of heat shrink?

Got plenty in white from making white canes

I don't believe 1200 can reach audiophile quality

SP10 yes

Do your Simms add up entire set of upgrades add new price of 1200 what can you buy as belt drive near new for this money ?

That bloke who bought yours must be a bit of a nuf nuf then :P

sometimes the tweaking and fiddling is part of the fun

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe I'm doing things backwards? Chicken or egg? Thoughts? 

I actually happened to do things somewhat backwards as you put it.

I had acquired a 1210, liked the things it did well and initially assumed that the general 'wisdom' of replacing the arm to make it a better/really good TT was correct.  So I'd saved for that but was having great difficulty deciding which way to go.  I'd certainly heard good reports on the Jelco 750 but varying reports on the success of adding other arms from a basic RB250 through to top SME's.  I'd also read the posts that suggested the KAB damper really brought the best out of the stock arm plus I had and liked cartridges that suited a mid to lighter arm so I was rapidly going nowhere arm decision wise.  In the end, I bugged out on that decision and bought a 'New' bearing with my funds on the basis that it should be a worthwhile upgrade and I could always return it if not happy.  Back to front logic by most conventions but I never did return the bearing and haven't bothered with an arm upgrade since.  I did however rewire the arm and add the KAB damper plus a 'Herbies' mat and a few other tweaks.  Amazingly good sound from the TT even with the standard Technics arm albeit an 'improved' one.

Might I change it one day? Of course however it still mostly betters my digital chain as is and I'm still very happy with the cartridge choice flexibility that the damper gives so I rarely think about it. :)

• Like 1