Audiophile Linux

For those of you willing to go through the Linux pain barrier heres a new distro aimed at an audiophile setup

http://www.ap-linux.com/

As far as Linux goes it pretty painless to setup. Its supposed to automatically create disk partitions but wouldn't do it for me so I had to manually do it, my main issue was trying to get my music mounted from a windows box.

Sound wise for me it has a far better soundstage and separation than windows/jriver but is rather flat and dry sounding, voices especially seem to lack body.

I'll play with it a bit longer but if I cant get it to flesh out the voices I'll be back to windows.

For a simple Media Centre Front End try OpenELEC. It's a straightforward custom built linux distribution with XBMC embedded. Install takes only about 5 minutes and it'll work out of the box with most hardware. OpenELEC 3.0 is based on XBMC Frodo which has the new 'audioengine' for audio playback. Interested to see how it compares to Audiophile Linux for sound quality but I think it should be on par.

http://openelec.tv/

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

Edited by bearski80

Interesting! although a Linux user I haven't gone into detail with investigating the quality of playback beyond ensuring I have direct ALSA device access when playing non 44.1/16 files. Basing it on Linux mint is a good starting point. I hope it also can function fine as a general purpose (browsing, youtube, movies, etc) operating system.

Guest myrantz

This runs real time Linux which seems to work well for audio. Worth a try for folks who aren't that accustomed to Linux as this distro removes alot of complexity.

I find my STX performs consistently better in Linux than in windows 7 (but YMMV).

think this distro uses Audacious for playback? Two other playback software worth trying is the old xmms, and mpd.

Guest myrantz
It runs the audio through jack audio.  Comes with deadbeef and audacious, using audacious.

Its certainly clearer than windows/jriver

JACK offers more flexibility, sounds like a great distro. Will try this soon. Thanks for the headsup...

I don't see it offering any more than, say, a well set up Debian or any other mainstream distribution installation could offer.

I dont pretend to understand Linux so please specify which "other mainstream distribution installation" does this:

Real Time Kernel

clock.pngPre installed, custom Real Time Linux kernel is included in AP-Linux distribution. Audio processing, with specially designed and compiled RT kernel, is the first priority of the distribution. Only the digital music playback is considered as the main process.

Guest myrantz

It'snot  so can a noob set up Debian for that...remGUI,er I struggle with the console thingy in Ubuntu

Have to start somewhere. And this distro looks like a good start.

Its not that hard to compile the kernel really. And customizing the kernel is always a good thing, e.g. disabling.loadable modules.

Part of the fun/grief. :P