Is it possible? Diy leads make a difference?

Sparkle

Greetings! Recently I was doing some reading about cables in general and because of the crazy prices that are often asked I thought I should do more research. After reading a few DIY cable sites I decided the easiest way to prove or disprove the cable difference issue was to make some, following roughly what I had read. Prior to this I had most of my feet in the cables are cables camp.

I run an apple Mac as source, through a DAc to the amp and then speakers. 

A while ago I borrowed 2 leads that go from the Apple Mac to the Dac and both were better than the supplied computer cable. One cable had a brighter top end so we chose that one.

Later I borrowed 2 Van Der Hull balanced cables that go from the Dac to the Amp. I couldn't hear any difference, so I handed them back and gave up on cables.

Recently I made up a shielded coax cable 600mm long from the Dac (cost $5.10 ) to amp and the lady wife reckons it sounds it sounds richer. I am inclined to agree.

Next I replaced the QED silver anniversary speaker leads I was sold, with a home made one with 4 12 gauge copper leads twisted together as suggested in various DIY websites. (cost $17.50 ) It sounded better again. How can I prove that. I don't have complicated measuring devices, but we use a song by Leona Lewis called Bleeding love as our audition music. We must have heard it hundreds of times. This is the first time on my system, that I have thought her voice wasn't too shrill. Usually about 2/3 of the way through the song I want her to get off. I have heard this song on ELAC speakers and she will burn your ears!

I have been suprised by the results and will take more interest in cables in future, although I doubt I will ever spend 4 figures on cables as some do. 

Hi niss-man. Reading your post was one of the things that persuaded me to give it a go. I just used wire from Jaycar. I use the TLAR method! "That looks about right!"

Some people seem very confidant recommending specific wire types. Still deciding whether to go down that road. Has anyone "tested" diy leads compared to name leads? I know this is difficult because everyones ear and expectation is different. Also many other factors come into creating good sound   

I have tried numerous commercial leads and made several DIY ones.

Yes they can make some difference.

My best IC leads to date are DIY made from Cat 5 cable. They have a large external shield connected to earth at the source end, a twisted pair is used for signal and return whilst others are connected to earth the source end only. Get good bass, mids and clear crisp treble from these, just seems to improve things all round. Keep borrowing and trying other cables just in case, but I think I will have to stop that now.

I have a pair from the CDP/Dac to pre amp and pre amp to power amps, but will make a smaller pair up shortly for the turntable to replace the current Van De Hulls.

Edited by Rhythm Willie
  • Like 1

Some one wise suggested that good speaker cables made the best of the synergy between the amp and the speakers, taking no account of the cost. Just find the one that works. 

I am inclined to agree that that could be the answer.