Garrard 301 Owners & Discussion Thread

I have the Apparition on my 301 and it is phenomenal. James has just released his next version called the Siggwann with many improvements. An utter bargain for the price. Honestly really hard to go wrong with one. If I had the money I would have the EMT997 but they are $$$$.

post-114012-0-10803600-1358619805_thumb.

There is another Kiwi arm, entitled The Wand. I have the 9" version and a 12" has just been released. Mine worked very well with a DL103. The aesthetics may not be a good match with your timber deck. Well worth checking out still.

Here's a pic of the 12" version of the Wand, mounted on a temporary plinth:

post-111913-0-83233100-1358643346_thumb.

Hi guys as some of you know I recently bought a 301 chassis and linkages to restore. What I thought was going to be a simple task of buying and fitting a motor has turned out to be so much more. I'm pretty sure I have the parts sorted. Most are easily available. Things like idler wheels, gaskets, grommets etc... It was this bucket of bits that when missing during transport that have been the difficult bit. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358574630.564069.jpg

But in talking to a kind man on eBay I seem to have only just now sourced them!

While I've been looking for these parts I've had time to do some polishing and start building a plinth. I know how much you like pictures and I will definitely have some questions so any suggestions on any part of this build will be greatly appreciated. The plinth, tonearm and cartridge are the main concern at present. Any how have a look at the photos (sorry iPhone pic alert) and feel free to comment.

Before. Including missing parts! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358574980.242457.jpg

A before picture of the bearing. Surprisingly good condition.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575017.210138.jpg

An after shot of the polished chassis. I was originally planning on painting it but apart from a couple of small chips and some engraving on the front, its in very good condition. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575147.393472.jpg

Paint stripping the platter. I've repainted it since and waiting to have some spare time to file back the strobe marks.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575274.893589.jpg

The plinth before preparation.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575364.726886.jpg

Sanded and ready for cutting out the centre.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575428.593542.jpg

Hole cut!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575473.576315.jpg

Something like this I'm thinking but with a 12" arm (suggestions under $1000 please!) sitting where the dynavector is and the Dynavector sitting on an aluminium arm board off to the left.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1358575684.043724.jpg

Hi Linc, looking good mate.

Where did you source the block of jarrah(?) from?

Cheers

Pete

Any pictures or more info? I know nothing of it.

Here is a thread, I was going to suggest this arm as well, sounds absolutley gorgeous. I heard it in Cheekys system and preferred it to the SME V (I think it is) that is his other arm

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/47409-univector-tonearm-and-emt-ti-cartridge/#entry797037

I just checked the website though, sorry it's over your stated budget

http://www.goldenageaudio.com.au/univector-tonearm.html

It's actually a sink cutout from a jarrah bench top. I've had it sitting around for a few years.

Jeez, you were lucky to get a cutout big enough to build a plinth!  

I have just about finished the patterns/jigs for my 401 plinth.  Just finalising the arm board sizes and locations to suit 9" to 12" arms and then hopefully I'm ready to roll!  

I'm keen to see how the repaint on the platter edge turns out, mine could do with a refresh.  I'm also thinking of having my 401 top plate finished the same colour as the plinth - gloss black. 

There is another Kiwi arm, entitled The Wand. I have the 9" version and a 12" has just been released. Mine worked very well with a DL103. The aesthetics may not be a good match with your timber deck. Well worth checking out still.

Here's a pic of the 12" version of the Wand, mounted on a temporary plinth:

Nice. How do you like it & what cart are you running?

Good. It was the only let down. Beautiful arm.

Are there any garrard experts out there that know if the 301 and 401 motor yokes are interchangeable?

I'm not an expert but as far as I know they are not interchargeable.

note: the Garrard 301 motor is silghly different to the 401 motor .

good luck with the project

Cheers

Duc

Are there any garrard experts out there that know if the 301 and 401 motor yokes are interchangeable?

Cheers

Duc

Can anyone else confirm this? As I'll need to cancel a purchase.

Cheers

Duc

Can anyone else confirm this? As I'll need to cancel a purchase.

Have you obtained manuals with parts lists? Vinylengine should have them.

More research needed.....

I have hard copies of both manuals and neither give dimensions and the basic part numbers are different. But they do "look" the similar. The manuals are both hand drawn so its really hard to tell. I was hoping someone had practical experience.

Nice. How do you like it & what cart are you running?

Early days but well happy so far, particularly in view of temporary plinth etc. Am using with a Shure V15VxMR which tracks at 1.25g and arm handles it with aplomb! Plinth courtesy of Thomas Schick, mentioned earlier in the thread, which I came across when repainting my 301 platter:

http://www.thomas-schick.com/301.htm

I have the Apparition on my 301 and it is phenomenal. James has just released his next version called the Siggwann with many improvements. An utter bargain for the price. Honestly really hard to go wrong with one. If I had the money I would have the EMT997 but they are $$$$.

Wow I'm loving this thread. One day in the distant future I'd like to own a Garrard 301. All the pics are inspiring. Excuse my ignorance of long tone arms Neil but how much does an EMT 997 set a person back?

MQ

They come up on eBay every now and again and sell for under 3500 second hand. But as with anything on eBay who would know what condition it would actually be in. It would be a scary wait in between payment and the postmans knock.