Ripping; okay, CDs done, Video discs next?

Hi,

I'm thinking about what to do with my DVDs (and a few BluRays now).

I've ripped all my CDs (since upgrading from a CD player to a Linn DS streamer) and so all my CDs are just in storage.

I'm thinking long term (out loud) as I have several options:

* buy a bookcase to store DVDs - but then why buy a bookcase when the DVDs are going to end up in storage with the CDs as I suspect video will go to download/stream eventually also

* for space - put all the discs in a CD storage album and throw/store the covers

* just rip them now

Have we got to a stage where I can easily rip my collection?  Including all the extra documentaries ones gets on them?

Once in a shop I played with an expensive home cinema system that ripped DVDs and understood that you just want to quickly be able to play the movie, and also gave you access to all the menus and trailers as well.  I'm wondering what is out there for free/cheap.

Also DVD cases are bigger than CD covers, so I'm wondering if keeping the cases is worth doing.  Going down this route is clearly revealing romantic attachment to the cases and the pictured pieces of paper inside with chapter titles on, not that all discs have those.  I'm now thinking if I need to keep my CD jewel cases, just the CD for legal reasons and the booklets if they are worth keeping, which perhaps 90% of the time they are.

Have you ripped CDs?  What is your experience and suggestions?

I use Handbrake to rip DVD if I want to compress to a smaller size you will need VLC as well to make it work there are lots of tutorials on the net explaining how to use it, it also makes a good quality copy it can actually improve the quality in most cases.

I use Makemkv if I want a full copy also good quality and it adds the subtitles as well which can be handy if you are into foreign films this one will also rip BlueRay's if you have a BluRay drive. 

I use a Mac but I believe these are available for windows as well.

• Like 1

Someone recently plugged a portable external drive into my Sharp TV using a USB cable.  This seems like a good way to progress in the short term, I do have a projector but not the room at the moment to set it up.

How many DVDs do you get per Tb?

I've ripped a lot of DVD's to save on storage so I can just keep the copies in a couple of CD storage cases near the player.  I have used numerous programs, and currently run DVD Cloner 9 & DVD Fab.

My main advice would be that despite using different ripping programs and different blank DVD brands, I always have a problem in playing the ripped copies.  I find that about 1 in 5 have issues in playback where it will freeze, or at least stutter.  Sometimes, but not always, it makes it unwatchable.  Thus, I have a bookcase for my original DVD's...

Personally I'd test each one by watching the movie full length, before spending hours doing your whole collection.

Also, I've recently ripped my CD collection (about 200) to WMA lossless format on a external hard drive.  This is the main copy so I can store my CD's away.  I can then covert to other files if need be, such as wave for the PS3 - which is how I listen to my music, external drive via PS3.

Thanks for the experience.

I don't want to rip my 150 DVDs more than once; a friend has ripped his CDs 3 times, very lossy mp3, minimal lossy mp3, lossless.  I get that DVDs and BluRays are slightly compressed and I just want a copy of what is there without compressing anymore.  Would be good to have all the extras.  Would be good to be able to play now, and also keep all the menus, so copying the ISO files sounds appealing.  Though DVDFAb can select audio-soundtracks, long term would only want the 5.1 soundtracks and audio-commentary makes sense, don't need the 2.0 soundtrack longterm but would need it short-term, unless TV could easily fold 5.1 down to 2.0.

Having had a USB drive plugged into my current TV and seen that work, thinking this would be a good cheap way to proceed, and then I have all the content to be played by some future better setup.

CDs.  I started ripping to FLAC with EAC in 2008, which while accurate, was very slow and didn't get images then, and storing on a RAID-1 ReadyNAS Duo using Twonky when it was still supported.  For convenience I treated myself to a RipNAS (a CD drive and a 1Tb) this comes with dBpoweramp's ripper which is accurate, fast and get's cover art, sometimes I get higher res cover art images by hand.

Don't rip multiple times: rip to .WAV then convert to mp3 (320kbps only or add a 192kbps variable bit rate if you want best compression & sound quality) and FLAC. Much quicker that way. I used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip and various programs (usually Audacity, sometimes others) to convert. This way you can rip a batch of CDs then convert them all in batch sessions overnight and delete the .WAV files when finished.

Since HDD space is so cheap you could probably keep the .WAVs on a separate disk or two.

Edit: For DVD ripping, use Handbrake and rip to h264 (mp4) format. You can compress the 4.5 GB DVD files to approx 750MB and it will be watchable; you can certainly reduce the files somewhat from the DVD size and no need to delete the extras. I think Handbrake will just create separate  .mp4 files for each .VOB on the disc (roughly).

You are right, DVDs are already compressed, they are mp2 format; converting to .mp4 however will save you some disk space. Play with the settings for a short (or short section of) film to see what settings work for you.

Edited by audiohobbs

My personal fav for ripping is Exact Audio Copy.  I use it to rip to WAV for the home server and 320k MP3 for the iPod.  Whilst it ain't the fastest ripper (time depends on the settings you use), it always give me the best conversion of all the freeware rippers I've ever used. :)

Cheers,

Alan R.

Played with several rippers.  DVDFab has been much praised, I hate it, didn't rip movie on mac only small files, pc version autocompresses without revealing settings.  Several others disappointment. Only one that works so far is MakeMKV.

Would still to have menus for movies to access special features if possible, so ideally would like to save as .iso files, couldn't work out how with DVD(non)Fab.  My BluRay player has USB input so expect it could play .iso files, if only I could create one.  Created one using Mac's Disc Utility and of course the player doesn't even see the file.

Don't want to compress anymore as have projector that can't be setup at the moment.  See no point in throwing away detail that could be missed in the future.

Edited by warrengday

• 2 weeks later...

For my DVD collection I have fully ripped over 200 as DVD iso's. I have XBMC software installed. It will play iso's without having to mount them or any stuffing around.

There is actually movie artwork function that will automatically search them out on the net when you choose to import your iso folder in xbmc also.

With a dvd being a max 4.7GB, you can fit over 200 fullsize dvd iso's on a 1TB drive. Absolutely no compression of audio or video, it is an exact bit for bit copy of the dvd disc. 

This is all assuming you want to use a pc to play the video content. I don't know what else out there can play dvd iso's off a hdd. Never the less you have full functionality of the original disc, including all subtitles, audio tracks, multichannel audio, extra features, dvd menu's the like.

• Like 1