My first Hi-Fi setup - Thankyou SNA for all of your help & advice!

Hi guys,

Late last year I came on this forum asking for help setting up a nice little decent TT system, and the response was massive. I firstly just wanted to thank everyone who took time to help me and pass on their worldly advice. I would have made terrible decisions if it wasn't for all of you.

I was hoping to have this all setup by new years, but an infected tooth & my holidays ruined by having to go back to work, I have only just finished. I realise this would be a simple system for a lot of peeps on this forum, but compared to the audio garbage that has tainted my ears in recent times, I am blown away by the difference in sound quality i'm now priveliged to listen to.

Ok so here is what I ended up with..........

Integrated Amp - Myryad z142

CD Player - Myryad z114

TT - Rega P3

Cart - Ortofon Blue 2M

Speakers - Usher s520's

Cabinet & speaker stands are from Selby.

I wanted to get these pics up for all of you asap,  I haven't tidied up wires or the area overly well yet. And the speakers are normally about 1.5 metres apart each from the hifi stand. I also have a rug to roll out in front of the unit & speakers.

The first cd played on it was Queen's Night At The Opera (2011 remastered). The sound quality just grabbed me so hard, listening to a couple of songs quickly turned into not moving from my couch until the end of the last song on the CD. Listening to the songs '39 & Love Of My Life was just simply a thing of beauty.

Ok, love the cd player, now onto the TT..............

I decided to start with RHCP's BSSM red vinyl edition. I powered up the Rega for the first time, ran a carbon fibre brush over the album and I was ready to go. The first crackling of needle hitting vinyl was already music to my ears. Then all of my worries of splashing 3k on something I wasn't going to overly like were washed away as Power Of Equality kicked in. Once again, a few songs turned into 2lps & 3 more vinyl changes on the TT. It's amazing how good music can sound when you can hear ALL of the instruments lol.

Music has once more become an experience for me. This whole exercise was mainly about the TT at first, but I am so glad I bought the matching CD now as well.

I have the speakers and my couch set up as close to an equilateral triangle as possible, is that right? And the speakers slightly pointing inward towards the couch? The selby speaker stands have those pointy isolating feet thingees, I bought a few cheap small carpet mats from cheap as chips to sit them on (I have floorboards), is that the right thing to do?

I also just wanted to ask, I always read on this forum about running/burning in their equipment before they sound their best, How long does it take? And is that just in reference to the amp or does that include the cd player & tt/stylus as well?

Never will I ever look back on sound quality again. Infact i'm not resting on my laurels either, I'm already researching my first upgrade!

post-138134-0-79135200-1358563073_thumb.

post-138134-0-58092200-1358563083_thumb.

post-138134-0-88309500-1358563089_thumb.

post-138134-0-19225600-1358563095_thumb.

post-138134-0-97916600-1358563116_thumb.

post-138134-0-37919900-1358563132_thumb.

• Like 3

Congratulations!

The soundstage may go even wider if you can move the speakers further than 1.5m apart - depending on the limitations of your listening room.

My advice is to spend some money on software now rather than contemplate hardware changes and enjoy!

Wadiman 

Nice!  Remember things will improve with 100 hours of so of burn in too (sometimes more, sometimes less but call it 100 and you won't go too far wrong), probably best not to upgrade until you've gone that far.

That having been said, what is this upgrade you are already thinking of?  Darryl and I are curious.

Edited by Cafad
  • Volunteer

Spend time over the TT setup and speaker positioning, maybe invite a more experienced member over to give you a hand, this works well, I know from experience i.e. only last weekend I had a setup session with another member and my system sounds so much better with free tweaks.

Looking very neat..... :thumb: 

As Batty suggested try making the space between the speakers bit bigger if the space permits.

I had Usher 718 be and had around 3 meter space in-between with slight toe-in and they sounded very good.

Also try bringing the speakers forward and see.....

• Like 1

Great yarn Homer , as has been already suggested have a bit of a play with speaker placement where you can.

Some guys like to use tape to mark speaker placement , but can get a little confusing if you want to try out a lot of placement positions and leave a history of previous placement. Can tend to be a little laborious as well , my suggestion would be to rip on down to your local stationary outlet and grab a couple of packs of these http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Labelling/General-Purpose-Labels/Stickers/AV932294 , they come in a range of colours and a lot easier , just stick 'em down at the 4 corner points of each speaker stand as you move them around , then start the process of elimination.

You'll be done in no time.

'allow, 'allow, 'allow, what have we here?

I don't want to sound like a "have you read the post" policeman but if the speakers are usually 1.5m away from the stand then that puts them about 4m apart which is ample separation for good sound.  In many rooms you can't get them that far apart. 

Right you are then guv'ner, carry on!

Congratulations on the set up - looks nice and sounds great, too, I'll warrant. As others suggest, though, spend some time with the system - you may be surprised at how the sound develops as the hardware beds in, especially the speakers and amp. If you can leave it playing stuff all day while you go to work this will speed up the run-in time.

Definitely spend time with this system before even considering an upgrade, too. The most obvious thing to upgrade from here would probably be the speakers but you would be spending a lot more to improve on the s520 pair - they are seriously good value speakers. Be happy for a while, certainly give it a good six months and enjoy it. You put in the time and effort, it is time to reap the rewards :)

That having been said, what is this upgrade you are already thinking of?  Darryl and I are curious.

Yeah I was considering better speakers. Not that I don't like the Usher's, I agree with most that they pack such a good punch for their price & sound fantastic. My only way of thinking was drop more $$$ on speakers (maybe $750-$1000) and I can get even better sound. But after what everyone here has said, I agree I think i'll just sit back, chill, & enjoy! Time to spend some $$$ on LPs, & I hear the Led Zeppelin classic editions from a few years back are fairly expensive! Not to mention the new Beatles box set. I have some catching up to do.

Thanks for all of your help as well with the speaker placement. My lounge is a little weird and is 7m by 4m, & all of my equipment needs to be on the 7m side. I found I had 6m of monster cable lying around in a drawer so each speaker has 3m each side. But after running the speaker wire down the back of the stands, it only leaves around 2m. I think I may grab some more speaker cable maybe 10m & re-do the banana plugs.

Thanks so much for all of your comments. Really enjoying my music, my system & the SNA community cheers.

Looking very nice.  I would recommend putting some time/research and effort into speaker & listening seat positioning and if you can get away with it, room treatments for 1st reflections & bass.  These will yeild improvements well beyond any equipment upgrade and for often not significant cost, just patience & time.  You will also then be in a much better position to judge any 'upgrades' when you home demo them.

Good on you.

Sounds like a brilliant setup.

That's the beauty of the internet, you can garner a whole heap of advice easily on a new topic that you suddenly become interested in.

Pity we older guys didn't have the net back in the late 60's early 70's, it would of saved us countless $$ and marriages .

Equally impressed that you have made the "Dark Side" a equal part of your system.

I think you already know that it has been a wise decision, there is nothing like it, I feel sorry for younger music fans that haven't heard a good LP playback.

You can always spot them in a room when a good black disc playback is happening, they are usually become suddenly motionless with their jaw slightly open and their eyes a goggle if you switch from digital to LP,  with a WTF!!!  look on their faces. :o

I agree with the above posters.

You will get a far better playback once you get your speakers positioned to the optimum.[They might end up in some place that you now think of as - No way they will work THERE!]

This a bit trial and error [it depends quite a bit on you furnishings]

My best advice is to use the Wilson Audio room speaker placement method.

It's pretty fool proof.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all of your help and advice guys :thumb:

Hi there kczar01, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. Mate unfortunately the tt wheel doesn't light up, but it would be awesome if it did lol. The speaker cable is Monster Cable, to be honest I was just going to goto JB Hifi and pick up some 12 thingee magiggy speaker wire, but I found some Monster Cable for some odd reason cleaning out my wardrobe. I actually only had 6 metres of it (3m each speaker), so at the moment I can't stretch the speakers out to where I would like. And i've been hanging out to move the speakers further apart to listen to what difference it will make to the sound.

Is the JB Hifi speaker cable ok guys or should I aim higher?

Actually while i'm here, I am looking at purchasing Metallica & The Doors 45rpm lp's in the near future. And i've been reading such great things about the 45's I may want to be purchasing more and more of it. Just asking, I have a standard Rega RP3 TT, which needs the belt changing everytime I want to go from 33 to 45, are the seperate Rega speed changing boxes (press of a button) I have seen compatible to my RP3?

Loving this forum thanks a bunch guys!

• Like 1
  • Volunteer

Looks nice. You might try a very cheap tweak: a 5 cent piece under each spike instead of carpet squares under the speaker stand. It will protect the floor and it should tighten up the bass a bit (maybe a lot).

But rule number 1 is always enjoy the music.