NAD PP 375 or external phono stage

tallman5353

Hi all, just accquired a Nad C375BEE amplifier which is an absolute winner.
I am eyeing the NAD PP 375 add on module so i can play vinyl. $150

There are also some other external ones like Cambridge Audio's $140 551P Preamp

What would be the better buy?

Thanks

Hi all, just accquired a Nad C375BEE amplifier which is an absolute winner.

I am eyeing the NAD PP 375 add on module so i can play vinyl. $150

There are also some other external ones like Cambridge Audio's $140 551P Preamp

What would be the better buy?

Thanks

With respect, any phono stage at those kinda prices is not going to rate highly on the 1 - 10 scale.  :)  So if that's your budget and you already have the amp ... I suggest the NAD PP 375 add-on module is the way to go (bcoz it saves an interconnect and the associated signal-degrading connections).

Regards,

Andy

Hi Tallman,

Congrats on your new amp hope you enjoy it. The plug in module works quite well, but as Andy said it will not set the world on fire. What turntable and cartridge are you running at the moment. And are you looking at maybe upgrading the cartridge or table down the track? If you do upgrade you may find the plugin module becomes a bottleneck, a little more info will help a lot.

Cheers,

Geoff

Edited by Toma Audio
Hi Tallman,

Congrats on your new amp hope you enjoy it. The plug in module works quite well, but as Andy said it will not set the world on fire. What turntable and cartridge are you running at the moment. And are you looking at maybe upgrading the cartridge or table down the track? If you do upgrade you may find the plugin module becomes a bottleneck, a little more info will help a lot.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hey, currently i am using a Technics SL-3300 Direct Drive Full Auto with a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Used to have a om3e, the blue stomps all over it. FYI Pairing the Nad amp with two Energy XL-25 speakers. They may be small, but man are they good!

Edited by tallman5353

I would go for a -valve- phono-preamp...

...like the Cornet2...

http://www.hagtech.com/cornet2.html

...or this nice looking valve hybrid (german design)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280872992436?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I would -also- use a valve preamp buffer from CD player to amp (or between preamp out - and amp in on your amp). It makes quite a difference I found, regardless of what anyone says. The sound improvement speaks for itself. For this, I have been using a Matisse inspired chinese Guanzo, which is surprisingly good. Not only that, it can actually be used as a preamp.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290646314971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

$45 which includes transformer and free postage is a no-brainer --- for what you get in return IMO...Find a nice cigar/biscuit tin to case it, although its fine as is also...

I have been using the valve preamp buffer in my NAD amp between the pre-out and main-in sections and have not looked back...

Using valves I found a more 'live' feel and ambiance to music with greater dynamics and soundstage --- and a good SS amplifier amplifies the sound rather well.
Generally speaking valves also nicely tame CD players giving a more 'natural' and live quality to the sound reproduction.

Edited by TigerScent
Hey, currently i am using a Technics SL-3300 Direct Drive Full Auto with a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Used to have a om3e, the blue stomps all over it. FYI Pairing the Nad amp with two Energy XL-25 speakers. They may be small, but man are they good!

Good value cartridge. I would match it with the german valve phono-preamp for $200 : http://www.ebay.com....984.m1438.l2649

Edited by TigerScent

MF VLPS II

HAVEN'T HEARD THIS BUT chilli suggested it in another thread on this topic recently

My quick research made it sound a good possibility Music Fidelity mm and mc for under USA $200 close to your budget

A high performance operational amplifier exclusively only boosts the phono signal level for 40 dB with an ultra low noise. Two dual triodes will perform the fully passive RIAA equalization and the low impedance output stage.
The sound and measured data stands for its own.

• Operational Amplifier NATIONAL LME49860 (only 2.7 nV noise, 0.00003 % distortions)
  • +/- 20 V supply voltage for the OP amp
  • 65 V anode voltage
  • No inductive switching voltage converter used
  • Tubes are driven with line level, therefore no influence of external interfering fields
  • Adjustable anode current on Line level
  • Fully passive tubes RIAA equalization
  • Different dual triodes can be fitted by soldering jumpers, e.g. 12AU7 / 6DJ8 / 5670
  • Output of the cathode follower is wired direct to the RCA jacks
  • Additional low impedance output with 2 x NE5534 on 1/8" TRS jack on front
  • With solder jumpers the RIAA equalization can be disabled and the amplification reduced for using as a true line amplifier
  • All "critical" parts -even the SMT's- are just pre-assembled and soldered
  • No SMT parts within the audio path
  • Polypropylene capacitors with 2.5% tolerance
  • Assembling the complete kit within 1 hour is not a problem
  • Extra external GND connection
  • 2 x PCC88 frame grid dual triodes included
  • The enclosure is also included

Signal to noise : 88db RIAA / 95db Line

Freq response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz 0.5 db

Edited by TigerScent