What is the best second album by a band or performer whose first was not great?

Newman

Would you really say Ride the Lightning is great whereas Kill em' All isn't?

Yes, I understand what the thread is about. To me RTL is a real timeless metal record whereas KEA is pretty immature and cliche, just practice for the next 3-4 albums to come.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/metallica

Note the overall rating score of KEA vs RTL.

heh heh, boys, now, I don't want an outbreak of "I just have to mention all great second albums regardless of the first".

LZII is a great album sure enough, but it simply doesn't QUALIFY.

;)

[edit: dammit, now I've got Heartbreaker stuck in my head]

Edited by Newman

• Volunteer
Yes, I understand what the thread is about. To me RTL is a real timeless metal record whereas KEA is pretty immature and cliche, just practice for the next 3-4 albums to come.

I'd agree. To me, Kill 'em all is very good but Ride the Lightining is great

Live - Throwing Copper, although many consider this their first album, Mental Jewellery was really their first, which I still like but never had the impact Throwing Copper had, Although they did release a album before these two but under a different name Public Affection so I guess Throwing Copper counts

Would you really say Ride the Lightning is great whereas Kill em' All isn't?

I'm with caddisgeek on this one, I think. Just because RTL is a more popular choice, don't make it so. Imo it is merely a template for the much more fully developed Master of Puppets, whereas KEA has that fresh (juvenile) punk energy that is lacking in all their following albums, in spite of all the cliches on display.

Ymmv :)

• Like 2
I'm with caddisgeek on this one, I think. Just because RTL is a more popular choice, don't make it so. Imo it is merely a template for the much more fully developed Master of Puppets, whereas KEA has that fresh (juvenile) punk energy that is lacking in all their following albums, in spite of all the cliches on display. Ymmv :)

FWIW, I did the maths, there is no statistitically significant difference between the mean rating scores for Kill em All and Ride the Lightning ;)

.............and no, I'm not kidding, I really did do the maths

Edited by caddisgeek
  • Like 1