What cartridge should I buy for my turntable?

audiboi

Hi Guys,

I've just bought myself a second TT - a JVC JL-A1 which (cosmetically) is in pristine condition. I've always loved the look of the 70's style wooden turntables, so I couldn't pass this up when I got a good deal for it.

It's currently fitted with a JVC Z1-S cartridge, which I'm guessing has never been changed in its lifetime. What type of cartridge should I buy for this TT? Also, where can I get one without being ripped off?

Cheers!

I'm probably thinking of MM at this point, as I'm not fully committed to spending on a MC as a second system.

This would be plugging into a no-brand pre-amp (no brand, was custom wired) which then goes to a Pioneer SX-727.

Hi Audiboi,

Cheap and a good match for the turntable is the venerable Ortophon OM10. Down the track, if you wanted to you can upgrade with a better OM stylus by simply plugging it in. The whole OM range is based on the same cartridge body just the styli profile gets better as you go up the range. You can them from Tom Manning at Speakerbits he is the importer.

Cheers,

Geoff

Edited by Toma Audio
  • Like 1

Have both the OM 10 and OM 20

Very good value for money

Think ortofon have rationalized (downsized their range and 20! is now the red and thereis no OM 10

Preferred the 20

Quality cart

Great buy second hand

Edited by djb

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! Looks like the OM10/20 might be the way to go. Which brings me onto the next question - how easy is to align the new cartridge myself? Or would I need to take it into a shop for it to be done right?

And since it's been asked for, here are the pics (including the current cartridge) -> http://imgur.com/a/GeoZI

• Like 1
Thanks for the replies and suggestions! Looks like the OM10/20 might be the way to go. Which brings me onto the next question - how easy is to align the new cartridge myself? Or would I need to take it into a shop for it to be done right?

And since it's been asked for, here are the pics (including the current cartridge) -> http://imgur.com/a/GeoZI

Align it yourself : nothing like doing it yourself - you can find a manual for your product here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/jl-a1.shtml

Here are some alignment protractors available that you can download and print, and then do it yourself...http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

...if you go for the OM go for the 20 or 30...

...good photos..., looks like its in good nick :)

Edited by TigerScent

Hi Audiboi,

Cheap and a good match for the turntable is the venerable Ortophon OM10. Down the track, if you wanted to you can upgrade with a better OM stylus by simply plugging it in. The whole OM range is based on the same cartridge body just the styli profile gets better as you go up the range. You can them from Tom Manning at Speakerbits he is the importer.

Cheers,

Geoff

I don't know if it is just me, but the salesman I spoke to was in my opinion very unprofessional.  When I walk in he didn't really want to serve me, then he told me to wait while he went outside and talk to his family and friend for about 5 minutes.  I am not even sure if the advice he gave me was correct (replacing a 2M blue tip with a 2M black tip, I know it would fit, but from my understanding the body is different).  Lastly the price he quoted me is way over what other Australian shops quoted me for the same product.

Edited by rx79ez08
I don't know if it is just me, but the salesman I spoke to was in my opinion very unprofessional.  When I walk in he didn't really want to serve me, then he told me to wait while he went outside and talk to his family and friend for about 5 minutes.  I am not even sure if the advice he gave me was correct (replacing a 2M blue tip with a 2M black tip, I know it would fit, but from my understanding the body is different).  Lastly the price he quoted me is way over what other Australian shops quoted me for the same product.

The 2M Red can be replaced with Blue tip; but the Bronze and Black 2M are the only ones that are interchangable with regards to having the same quality sound. You could put a Bronze or Black tip on a Blue body as far as I know; but it would be a waste of $$$ and suboptimal, as the cartridges are different.

There are 2 cartridge bodies --- one for Red/Blue and one for Bronze/Black.

Edited by TigerScent

LOL.  You've just received the "Speakerbits sales experience special!".....  Which is why I avoid the place. They are very knowledgeable, but also very arrogant and couldn't care less.

Just buy online.  It's cheaper and you get to avoid the hi-fi snobs.  (Is it any wonder we keep buying online and OS when this is the kind of thing that passes for "service"?).

The 2MRed cartridge body can accomodate the Blue stylus.

I've heard, but didn;t like the 2MRed. Too harsh and shrill.  The 2MBlue is a completely different experience.  It is great.

Of the OM range, the 5 and 10 are very pedestrian. The OM20 is the sweet spot.  Very easy to install and align.

Try William Thakker online (not his ebay store).

PS: nice table BTW.  That JVC Z1-S cartridge is actually not too bad if it is in good condition, but I suspect it would be the original cart so probably worn after 30+ years.  Just buy a new cart, as you are planning.

D

Edited by Prana69

I am not sure of your budget so I will make a suggestion in the low range. Maybe you want something that is 'better than it has any right to be'.

I once used (still have it) a JVC deck from 1980, its tonearm looks the same as yours. It worked very well with my Nagaoka MP-11 cartridge.

So I'm going to suggest the Nagaoka MP-100 for $100.

For $50 you can get the Audio Technica 95E. I once used this as a 'get out of jail' cart with my Thorens 150 deck with original arm, (when my main cart was in for retipping), and I was a bit shocked how well rounded and musical it sounded.

• Like 1

So I'm going to suggest the Nagaoka MP-100 for $100.

For $50 you can get the Audio Technica 95E. I once used this as a 'get out of jail' cart with my Thorens 150 deck with original arm, (when my main cart was in for retipping), and I was a bit shocked how well rounded and musical it sounded.

+1 for the Nag.  Punches well above it's $$$ weight.  Smooth, refined, detailed, warm.  Very very listenable.

+1 also for the AT95 if you can't spot $100 on the Nag.  Buy from William Thakker online - for $35 delivered to Aus.

D

• Like 1
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've decided to go for the Nagaoka MP-100. Is Needledoctor.com a reputable place to shop?

Yes, Needledoctor is very reputable.  And US $71.95 is a GREAT price for the MP-100.

Let us know when it arrives and if you need some help with proper set-up.

DaveR