SSD for Mac Mini

I bought a 60gb ssd from here.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

Mine is a mid 2010 model. I attempted to install it myself but broke one of the tiny fan heat sensor connections and had to pay for a delicate soldering repair job. All is good now. Boots up in under 10 seconds. Just bought a portable mini pro ssd for media storage.

Edited by Shmonk

Which year model Mac Mini is it, if you buy a 6G SSD for the older ones you are wasting your money as they are only Sata II not Sata III like the newer ones. I highly recommend OWC SSD drives, I have one installed in my laptop a 3G one as my laptop is a 2009 model but my main computer has two 6G ones. If you don't want to buy from overseas then macfixit in Melbourne sell them, I bought mine from there. Now depending on what you want to use it for is what size you should get. I run a 128GB on my main computer for the OS and Applications I use and I still have over 40GB free. 256GB is usually a waste of space for a OS drive, I do have a 256GB in my main computer but its for my Lightroom Catalogue, Cache files and Photoshop Scratch Disk.

Edited by keitha

I did this about 3 weeks ago to my 2009 MacBook - do it man:-). Don't wait.

I paid $220 for a Crucial ( well regarded in the search i did) from Umart online here in Brisbane and got 8gb MAC Ram while I was at it for about 40 bucks. It boots in 15 seconds and sounds so much better.

As I said in the other post, get a linear power supply next, you system deserves a decent front end and it pays big dividends.

Edited by Briz Vegas
  • Like 1

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="lebowski" data-cid="830302" data-time="1358561582">

<p>I have a 2012 MacMini and use external HD's for music storage. Is there any benefit installing a SSD?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>An SSD is recommended for anyone who wants to speed up day to day tasks on a computer if you run many apps or even a few you will see a benefit, your boot time will even improve.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>But you will need to replace the system drive. Just keep in mind that you will void your warranty as it is not deemed a user replaceable part</p>

Edited by vsixtyfour
An SSD is recommended for anyone who wants to speed up day to day tasks on a computer if you run many apps or even a few you will see a benefit

Your boot time will improve. But you will need to replace the system drive. Just keep in mind that you will void your warranty as it is not deemed a user replaceable part

OK thanks. I just run iTunes and Audivarna on the MacMini. Music playback only running headless. So SSD will bring no benefit for me

I second the Samsung SSD and also make sure you have good eyesight/glasses when replacing and have patience - I turned a brand new mac Mini into a paperweight in about 5 mins the first time - yow

OK thanks. I just run iTunes and Audivarna on the MacMini. Music playback only running headless. So SSD will bring no benefit for me
How do you come to this conclusion and what do you mean " headless"?

I run iTunes and audirvana for music playback with my music on an external 1 terabyte USB powered HDD ( reduces the number of wall warts in the circuit). My dac is on firewire which is the way to go with a USB HDD.

I replaced my system drive only.

Unless you call better detail, better bass and smoother sound no benefit, I think you will get excellent bang for buck.

Also

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4241918?start=0&tstart=0

Edited by Briz Vegas

I second the Samsung SSD and also make sure you have good eyesight/glasses when replacing and have patience - I turned a brand new mac Mini into a paperweight in about 5 mins the first time - yow
How did you do that? Sounds like you replaced the drive with extreme prejudice. I was surprised how easy it was to do the RAM and SSD. Just watched a utube video even though I have done it on windows machines in the past.

I did a fresh OS install which made it even easier.

Edited by Briz Vegas
Which year model Mac Mini is it, if you buy a 6G SSD for the older ones you are wasting your money as they are only Sata II not Sata III like the newer ones. I highly recommend OWC SSD drives, I have one installed in my laptop a 3G one as my laptop is a 2009 model but my main computer has two 6G ones. If you don't want to buy from overseas then macfixit in Melbourne sell them, I bought mine from there. Now depending on what you want to use it for is what size you should get. I run a 128GB on my main computer for the OS and Applications I use and I still have over 40GB free. 256GB is usually a waste of space for a OS drive, I do have a 256GB in my main computer but its for my Lightroom Catalogue, Cache files and Photoshop Scratch Disk.

A 2009 machine would be SATA 2, wouldn't it?

Why waste your money on a SATA 3 drive, which are a bit more expensive?

How do you come to this conclusion and what do you mean " headless"?

I run iTunes and audirvana for music playback with my music on an external 1 terabyte USB powered HDD ( reduces the number of wall warts in the circuit). My dac is on firewire which is the way to go with a USB HDD.

I replaced my system drive only.

Unless you call better detail, better bass and smoother sound no benefit, I think you will get excellent bang for buck.

Alsohttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/4241918?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not interested in FireWire as I use a John Kenny battery powered hiFace MkII USB/SPDIF converter into an Audio GD Reference 5 DAC.

With iTunes running from an external HD do you think a SSD on the Mac Mini will bring improvement?

I will have a read of the link you posted.

Thanks

Headless - no monitor. I use iPad running 'Remote' for iTunes control and VNC 'Screens' for when I want to have greater control of the Mini.

I don't see any benefit running a SSD in a MacMini unless you have your music stored on its Hard Drive.

Edited by lebowski
A 2009 machine would be SATA 2, wouldn't it?

Why waste your money on a SATA 3 drive, which are a bit more expensive?

That's what I said, my MacBook Pro is a 2009 and has a 3G (Sata II) SSD drive, my main machine is Sata III so I use 6G SSD drives.

If you use a 6G in a Sata II Mac often it stuff up an only runs at 1.5 not the 3G you should be getting so don't buy a Sata III drive for a Sata II Mac.

How did you do that? Sounds like you replaced the drive with extreme prejudice. I was surprised how easy it was to do the RAM and SSD. Just watched a utube video even though I have done it on windows machines in the past.

I did a fresh OS install which made it even easier.

Just forgot to pop one of the cable connectors up before I pulled the chassis out. One tiny oversight - and I've been building/repairing computers for untold years.

I've done it about 4 times since without issues - it's a worthwhile upgrade IMHO even if just for the general speed benefit.

That's what I said, my MacBook Pro is a 2009 and has a 3G (Sata II) SSD drive, my main machine is Sata III so I use 6G SSD drives. If you use a 6G in a Sata II Mac often it stuff up an only runs at 1.5 not the 3G you should be getting so don't buy a Sata III drive for a Sata II Mac.

Thanks for the tip...So to that end, any SATA 2 recommendations?

The Samsung is a 6G SSD, even though it says it's backward compatible with SATA II interface Macs don't like a 6G SSD plugged in and often more times than not the run at 1.5 instead of 3G, buy a 3G SSD if your computer is SATA II.

There is also a reason the Samsungs are cheap, you get what you pay for. One thing to look out for with SSD drives is block management, wear levelling and ECC protection. I'll take the OWC for that thanks. As a full time wedding photographer I can;t afford failures and OWC have a great reputation in the professional world

Edited by keitha
There is also a reason the Samsungs are cheap, you get what you pay for.

Samsung before branding there own SSD's were the major provider for almost everyone elses drives for a long time so your comment is just plain BS sorry.

Edited by bwhitesox

No need to be sorry, I wont touch them, I have tried them against the OWC and although they draw less power they are not as fast even though they claim the same type of read/write speeds. Each to their own. Still comes down to the fact that everyone seems to want to keep recommending a Sata III drive when the computer in question is Sata II, While backwards compatible anyone with a good knowledge of Macs will know that more often than not it's not recommended to use a Sata III drive in a Sata II mac. Which in that case a 3G OWC drive is the most compatible for the computer in hand.