The Common Denominator

Ok, I haven't spoke of this before for fear of being ridiculed but I am now so sure of this phenomenon that I going to start a discussion about it, so laugh if you want people but Daveyboy here is completely convinced...

Right, I've put together a fairly decent system which sounds pretty good to me most of the time, I feel that I have crossed all of the T's and dotted all of the I's during the build, there isn't really a weak link in the chain anymore even down to a dedicated 30amp ring main, Oyaide AC outlets, Oyaide Power leads all feeding Bakoon amplification driving W.A.R. Audio Dianne speakers and generally things sound good, very good, however like most here I imagine, I have good days with my system and mediocre days and some days it can even sound bloody average to my ears, although fortunately the good days have become more regular since isolating my system from the rest of the house wiring which of course was the aim of doing so..

However some days my system totally amazes me, there have been days where I have sat down and been blown away by the incredible detail from the very first track, the inky blackness of a near zero noisefloor, the huuuge soundstage, the width, the height, the depth, the body..  days where I cannot get enough, where I have sat for hour after hour reluctantly turning it off only because it's bedtime... Last night was one of those glorious magical nights where I couldn't stop the music, I even listened to Patricia Barber albums all of the way through and I've never 'gotten' P.B. in the past, I've tried but I always move on within a few tracks but last night she sounded so good that I couldn't turn her off I listened to one track after the other she sounded so real, I was 'there'

I started to see a pattern to these nights of magic, a common denominator if you will  that brings everything together and makes my system sing, I realised it a while ago and wondered if it were truly the case but once more last night it was proven to me, as I was sitting there trying to work out why it all sounded so glorious the penny dropped, and when it did it confirmed my previous suspicions and now I am so convinced of this phenomenon that I feel compelled to talk to you guys about it.

Ok, so this common denominator that I mention in the title, the thing that is always there during the magical moments, what is it.......  it is Rain!!!

Yes rain, now I know that this has to do with getting a good 'ground' but good god the difference is huge, as I say, I noticed this a while back and even started walking outside and watering my earth stake before a sit down session which makes my wife and probably some of you guys here think that I need medical attention.. 

Now unfortunately where I live it is all sand, my whole house pad just sits on a bed of sand, my earth stake is driven into sand and even though I water my earth rod it never seems to work the same magic as rain, if it rains, if I get a full soaking of all of the ground around my home then bingo, we light up!!

Now I know that there will be some of you rolling around holding your stomach and pointing at the screen shouting abuse at me, but I also reckon that there are a few of you out there that knows exactly what i'm talking about. And it isn't a case of "oh it's raining I bet my system will sound good" and it does, it is not a mental thing, infact the exact opposite generally happens for me, if I think my system sounds good one day and can't wait to get back to it the next day and expect it to sound good then I'm generally dissapointed, no what generally happens is that I'm sitting there being blown away and analysing the reasons why and then realising that it's raining..

So, I'm convinced, completely and irrevocably convinced of this phenomenon, it isn't a mind game, it happens, rain is the final piece of the puzzle of my system..

Ok, so I've posted this long winded ramble for two reasons, one to hopefully start a none argumentative discussion (Ha!!) and two to get any ideas, suggestions on the best way to get a good ground 24/7 instead of having to wait for it to piss down, which in Perth of course isn't very often..   ;)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

A garden timer and some irrigation or perhaps connect it to a 12 volt out so that it gets wet outside when you decide to listen.

If I ride along with your theory it sounds like dry sand is not much of a conductor, water is better.

( or have i just clicked the joke of the daythread?)

I did notice when I was down in Tassie that the rain acts as a damper (no pun intended!) on ambient noise, it also helps people relax a bit so that would help too.  I'm not doubting your theory there Dave, just helping to define it a bit as I see it. 

Could you put in some clay around your earth stake, maybe lay turf with a clay base for a few meters around it, that would hold the water better and may give you a better earth contact.

Maybe you could test things out by puting a couple of sprinklers up on the roof, turfing around the earth and modifying your drainpipes so that they dump water straight on your earth peg.

Nothing to do with earth spikes Davey , it's humidity that is sweetening your system.

Your next tweak should be a room humidifier. 

Interesting I can see this thread is about to go downhill 

Personally why does everything need a reasonable explanation I've done some stupid things with computers that made no sense but still worked if your music sounds better when it rains then you had better hope it rains a lot more where you live.

Thats all I have to say!!

Rain = more negative ions.

You feel better so system sounds better.

As for earthing, longer spike, water it, but if adding another one it must very close to the first one and connected to the same earth lead.

And however tempted DO NOT connect earth to water pipes.

Edited by KenTripp

Maybe its a psychoacoustic effect. When it rains, perhaps its puts you in a nice cosy mood where you are more receptive to the way your system sounds.

In my case, my system always seems to sound best after I've been for a long bicycle ride. After several hours of exercise in the great outdoors, followed by a shower, a meal and a drink or two, I'm usually in the mood to sit back and listen to some music.

Some funny suggestions there, some of which I'm not too sure were tongue in cheek though....  :blink:

Yes I'm most definitely going to pursue it, I'm not convinced of humidity or feeling more relaxed, or not being able to hear traffic, neighbours etc, my room is very insulated anyway and toward the back of the house, hearing anything outside doesn't happen at the best of times so outside forces such as ambient noise I feel do not play a part, however I do believe and after some research starting to believe it even more is that the ground becoming soaked thereby reducing the earth resistence is the major factor.

Apparently sand is one of the worst things for an earth to be driven into, it is an excellent insulator and has a very high resistance, i'm not sure how to tackle  this, I think even digging down deep will just uncover more sand based on some of the pool excavations that I've seen going on around here, I think my only option would be to maybe dig out a lot of sand and replace it with soil and then install an array of connecting rods driven as deep as I can.. I don't know yet, further investigation needed..

Rain = more negative ions.

You feel better so system sounds better.

Ken could have something here. We have a room ioniser in our bedroom. Never a problem sleeping.

Years ago we had an ioniser in our car when driving across the Nullabor. Our two kids were brilliant - and that was long before dvd players and ipads in cars.

The beach is the best natural source of negative ions - splashing waves.

Dave, you could always buy an ioniser to try out. 

Waterfalls too.

Earth is important, and that sand pit the house is on  :wacko:

All you can do is improve the earthing as best you can, and see what results come from it.

Edited by datafone

Ken could have something here. We have a room ioniser in our bedroom. Never a problem sleeping.

Years ago we had an ioniser in our car when driving across the Nullabor. Our two kids were brilliant - and that was long before dvd players and ipads in cars.

The beach is the best natural source of negative ions - splashing waves.

Dave, you could always buy an ioniser to try out. 

Of course I'm onto something, that's why I use one and also live near the beach :D

Lots of negative ions make you feel better, keep the house fresh, dust under control etc.

Probably even sharpen razor blades if you gave them half a chance ;)

The unit you quoted is very nice but there cheaper options out there that will match it's 3million anions/cc.

http://www.echolife.com.au/categories/natural-health/appliances/air-purifiers-and-ionisers/air-ionisers.html

• Like 1

Oh dear, I can see it now. Soon there will be a product line of Audiophile Ionizers which "enhance harmonic resonances and improve liquidity of system output"...    I think Tivoli just put in a big order for their listening rooms....   :P

How do you know audio retailers aren't already using them, or worse manipulation still such as pheromones.

You've heard about the bake some bread, brew some coffee trick for selling houses, same sort of idea.

Google "enhanced air", it's enlightening.

And speaking of audiophools audiophiles and negative ions...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue33/rio5.htm

http://www.stereophile.com/stephenmejias/powering_the_ionizer/

Edited by KenTripp

Of course I'm onto something, that's why I use one and also live near the beach :D

Lots of negative ions make you feel better, keep the house fresh, dust under control etc.

Probably even sharpen razor blades if you gave them half a chance ;)

The unit you quoted is very nice but there cheaper options out there that will match it's 3million anions/cc.

http://www.echolife.com.au/categories/natural-health/appliances/air-purifiers-and-ionisers/air-ionisers.html

I trialed a unit years ago, had an aspect that I didn't understand, as it was promoted to produce an abundance of negative ions up to I think 50m (edit)"thinking 30 m now", but these were supposed to be generated via radio waves  :confused:  Also had an Ozone generating function that could sterilize a medium sized room in a about two hours, after doing it to a room, the dirty socks in a pile of laundry were fresh as a daisy!

Had a possessive effect on the two cats in the house at the time, they were playful with each other all the time, where normally they were indifferent to one another most the time. A house mate that suffered from night terrors near every night slept sound asleep the nights the unit was operating.

The unit wasn't cheap though, costing more than those I have seen on the net since.

These are just observations at the time...

Edited by datafone