Upsampling query

So this is possibly a dumb question, but please indulge me anyway. 

The Audio GD DI I have up-samples signals - up to 192khz. If I play a 96khz file - and have the Audio GD DI SET to up-sample at 96khz, will it leave the 96khz file ALONE and only upsample files that are of a lower quality? I don't want a file that's already 96khz being "mucked about" with - but I'm happy to have my 44.1khz files upsampled to 96khz...

Appreciate the pointers. :)

The Audio GD DI I have up-samples signals - up to 192khz. If I play a 96khz file - and have the Audio GD DI SET to up-sample at 96khz, will it leave the 96khz file ALONE and only upsample files that are of a lower quality? I don't want a file that's already 96khz being "mucked about" with - but I'm happy to have my 44.1khz files upsampled to 96khz...

My only insight is not to do with this device, rather when I use resampling in foobar on my laptop, but it may give you a clue.

I run a resample plugin and an EQ plugin for a slight low boost.

I set the resampled rate on the foobar plugin to 176, as my Metrum Octave will only play up to 176k. When i play any sample rate other than 176 and have the program tab depressed on the control bar (XP) I hear skipping, artifacts. Clearly the processor or RAM has too much going on to play smoothly. However when a 176k file is played, no artifacts. Similarly when I use just one of those plugins, no artifacts. So that leads me to believe that the resampler is not active when playing a file that is equal is sample rate to the value set for the plugin. Incidently to get around the artifacts sound, I simply hit the control bar so that the foobar program tab is not depressed, no artifacts present and a smooth playback follows.

That may give you a hint to your query.

B

Edited by LuzArt
Thanks mate - perhaps that's the case then. :)

Any other DI owners want to weigh in? Is there any definitive way of determining it anyway?

Try emailing Kingwa. He's always done his best to answer technical questions I've asked about his products.

I don't think a user can tell you the answer, would have to ask audio-gd I believe. The chip used in it is a custom programmed FPGA.

If I was to take an educated guess it will 'resample' the 96kHz file to 96kHz. The reason that I say this is that the processor seems to have a synchronous mode and an asynchronous mode. Asynchronous will discard the incoming clock and produce the same audio out the output but aligned to a new clock. The pass through modes that leave the audio in tact. You may find that the asynch 96kHz mode will improve the signal IF the oscillator in the DI is better than the oscillator in whatever transport you're feeding it from. 

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by hochopeper
  • Like 1