Best TT buy under $500

MerkinQuilt

I'm a 1200 owner and never been dissapointed. Never had a belt drive but love the stability of the direct drive. Put a decent cart on (I use the affordable denon dl-110 atm) like a dl-103r (a heavier headshell is often recommended with these denon carts - another $60) or MM Audio technica and your away.

You will have to spend $100 on a decent platter mat (e.g. funk achromat or herbies way excellent) but stock arm is more than ok. Like the rega upgrades a plenty.

I helped my neighbour buy a pro-ject debut carbon recently (wanted something new) but we haven't set it up yet. It's seams pretty good value but a stock 1200 would be my preference.

Do a search and theres at least one good thread on 1200 vs rega on SNA. Same on other forums.

Edited by adamg

A fair few nice vintage tables show up secondhand, and that budget can sometimes snag a beauty.

Requires a bit of research though...

I'll sell you a rega P3 so I can put the money towards upgrading one of my 1200's!.     I think the rega sounds good,  but I've got a soft spot for the technics.   Removing the platter on the rega to change speeds shits me a little . . and don't get me started on the hassles adjusting VTA to suit a tall cart.   

If you go for a technics be sure to  get one that hasn't been thrashed DJ'ing.   

JVC QL-7 TT  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321057063799&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

Not sure how high it will go though...

Edit: Hmm...has a couple of bad feedbacks.

I also forgot to mention that if buying secondhand, you need to make sure they know how to pack it correctly!

The platter along with arm weights have to be removed and packed seperatly, and the arm needs to be secured in place on It's rest.

Apart from the above, it all needs to be packed very well, and then It's a matter of fingers crossed.

So buying local has a big advantage...

Edited by datafone

Ummm, maybe crazily I'm thinking about saving my pennies for a Garrard 301 or 401. Could take quite a while but seeing some of the ones on the forum I would LOVE to have and or build up something like others have done.

Will have to sell some bits but might be nice to consolidate a fair bit of accumulated average stuff into one dream item. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Hi I want to look at options for a turntable in the $500 range, including tonearm (not including cartridge or phono stage).

Thinking about Technics SL1200, Pro-Ject etc, is there anything else you guys would consider?

MQ

I'd go for a Rega Planar 3 --- gr8 to upgrade. This would be my first choice :)

Aside from that; the Technics SL1200 has had good feedback as well although I have never owned one.

Edited by TigerScent