Aurender W20 announced

Krispy Audio

The Aurender is a digital music transport (so you need a dac to connect it to). It stores music on a standard (spinning) hard drive, but buffers to a solid state (no moving parts) drive and then shuts down the main drive for a completely vibration-free environment.

Aurender's S10 blew me away the first time I heard it. So much so that it's the only component in my system that just stops me in my tracks if I'm ever without it (eg on demo). It was incomprehensible to me that a track could sound better from the Aurender (eg ripped from a CD) than on an equally priced CD transport. And then there's hi-res files!

So now I'm in trouble because Aurender have released a W20. How good's this for upgrades:

• 6tb storage (up from 2tb)
  • Battery-powered audio section to eliminate AC jitter
  • Dual AES/EBU output
  • 240gb solid state (up from 64g)
  • Word clock input

Pricing is still TBA.

international_ces_2013_6.jpg

Wow the S10 is not cheap...this will be more no doubt.

Just curious though....how do you copy your existing collection to the server, and is it clever enough to pick up allyour existing tags in ALAC and FLAC files and the artworks, etc ?

You transfer your files via computer. So the Aurender has an ethernet port that plugs into a router. It appears as an external drive on your computer. You simply drag and drop. Another method is to simply plug a flash drive (USB) into the USB port and it automatically uploads.

Yes it remembers all your tags, the only exception is some of the FLAC cover art can be missed. Maybe 10% of the files I tried, but it's only a quick drag/drop on the computer to re-populate.

The iPad interface is fantastic. So simple to navigate and create playlists. I usually sit down and spend 2mins creating a playlist, then I can sit back for the next few hours without touching a thing.

Upping the SSD means that say you have 150 songs queued, the HD will need to be accessed far less frequently to refresh the SSD buffer. The sonic effects of this may seem subtle, but this is their flagship reference model and they wish to sacrifice as little as possible. You can switch off the display entirely and other sublte features to help even further.

I may be tempted to roll the S10 over for a W20..... :)

Edited by CP_