Phono stage frustration many choices, with no Audition options.

arsenal

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new phono stage, i have read the many recommedmations in the forums, but its given me a rather large short list

and having no option to hear all i would like to get this list down, i'm also open to other sugestions. Price no more than $800

Heed

Night Hawk

Graham Slee

Jasmine

Ps audio

Icon Ps2

My Current setup is a Pink triangle TT, Sme 309 arm and a Nagaoka MP11 Boron MI cartridge the phono stage is a MF V-LPS, I also own a Michell Iso with HR psu set to LOMC (No option to change the settings)  I have run a Denon 103r which i found didn't work to well with my arm and prefered the Nagaoka sound, The sound i'm getting is nuteral and deatailed but missing a little warmth which i would like.

Many Thanks

You can also loan the Heed from Nelson @ ienjoy.

Bother the slee and heed ate excellent phono stages that sound different.

Come to think of it, contact Brian at Decibel HiFi and you may be able to listen to the Icon as well.

That is 3 so far.

Edited by turntable
  • Like 1
You can also loan the Heed from Nelson @ ienjoy.

Bother the slee and heed ate excellent phono stages that sound different.

Come to think of it, contact Brian at Decibel HiFi and you may be able to listen to the Icon as well.

That is 3 so far.

+1 regarding the Heed Quasar, Nelson sent me one over to review, it's a great piece of kit http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2012/11/heed-quasar-phono-stagepsu-review/

I also recommend the little iFi iPhono, I've had this for a while and it punches well above its weight in sq terms.

+1 regarding the Heed Quasar, Nelson sent me one over to review, it's a great piece of kit http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2012/11/heed-quasar-phono-stagepsu-review/ I also recommend the little iFi iPhono, I've had this for a while and it punches well above its weight in sq terms.

Thanks all,

Ilikecrumpets, the Ifi iphono that you mention how did this compare to the Quasar? Which of the two has the warmer presentation?

Edited by arsenal

How would you all describe the sound signature of the Heed Questar MM v the GSP Gram Amp 2 Special edition? I was thinking maybe spending a little less on the Phonostage, then rest on a cartridge upgrade, to Perhaps a Nagaoka Mp 200

I dont think Nelson will do a loan on the Questar.

Both units are around the same price bracket.

Edited by arsenal

+1 regarding the Heed Quasar, Nelson sent me one over to review, it's a great piece of kit http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2012/11/heed-quasar-phono-stagepsu-review/

I also recommend the little iFi iPhono, I've had this for a while and it punches well above its weight in sq terms.

Mr Crumpets, That IFI phono caught my eye a little while back and thought it wasn't yet available in Aus.

Can you share any thoughts re its sound? It's certainly got loads of features. Thanks

Hey guys,

The Quasar has a warmer presentation than the iPhono, but that's not to say the iPhono is a bright sounding device. It's just to the bright side of neutral. The Heed developed better quality bass (slightly more impactful & faster) but it was close.

Midrange detail was also a close run thing and would come down to personal preference - slightly analytical when listening via the iPhono or verging towards the euphonic with the Heed.

If I had $800 odd AUD to spend I'd probably plump for the Heed, but realistically I'd be pretty chuffed with the spunky little iFi. In fact I'll probably buy one to use with my second rig.

Both didn't compete with my Sugden Masterclass PA 4 tho... :-)

Edited by ilikecrumpets
  • Like 1
I have a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena in the classifieds that was listed as an EOI.

It's now for sale, and IMO an excellent phono stage, especially at the price I am after.  :D

This is a very good phono at a good price. These had a RRP of about $1200 when they where first released in Aus.

Also note this phono is for both MC & MM carts.

Edited by handysteel

I have a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena in the classifieds that was listed as an EOI.

It's now for sale, and IMO an excellent phono stage, especially at the price I am after.  :D

This is a very good phono at a good price. These had a RRP of about $1200 when they where first released in Aus.

Also note this phono is for both MC & MM carts.

They were actually priced at around $1700 in Aust when first released. I know because I wanted one and couldn't afford one at that price.:D

To Top