75 ohm cable for interconnects.

Batty

• Volunteer

I have some redundant 75 ohm RGB video cable and am short on some audio RCA interconnects, is this cable suitable?  I tried some thin high frequency coax from work but it sounds dull.

I have some redundant 75 ohm RGB video cable and am short on some audio RCA interconnects, is this cable suitable?  I tried some thin high frequency coax from work but it sounds dull.

This can sometimes be the case. Did you check to determine if -

1. The inner conductor was all copper and not copper cladded steel?

2. The shielding was a copper braid and not aluminium foil?

3. The soldering is good.  Poor soldering can affect frequency response, noise and distortion.

All of these IME tend to "colour" audio.  It's unlikely there would be excessive capacitance in RF or video coax cable as this would make it generally unsuitable for RF or video use which involves frequencies well beyond audio.  However, having said that, not all cables are created equally and not all cables work well for every possible application.  IME, high capacitance cables don't work well with sources that have a high impedance.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi

• Volunteer

I have cut one of the connectors off, the cable is copper stranded inner and copper braid with a foil between braid and inner insulation.