HELP : Pairing NAD 3020 with powered studio monitors

wush

Hey All,

A fairly noob question here -

If I have a pair of powered studio monitors with xlr output and a RCA converter on them.

Can I hook these up to a NAD 3020 directly? Or do I need I use a subwoofer and connect that to the 3020 with the speakers running in the subwoofer?

Basically as a temporary solution I would like to be able to control aux, phono etc through the 3020 with the studio monitors until I find some appropriate passive hi hi speakers.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Josh

Josh, 

to elaborate on the advice from andreasmaaan..

The Nad has small metal "arches" that connect the pre-out to the power- in  RCA connections .

Remove them,then your cables would then connect to the pre-out sockets.

Most importantly, keep the arches in a safe place...like taped to the back or top of the amp!...they are easy to misplace..

Let us know how it works out.

Edited by coppinger

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated !

In the future once I do grab some passive speakers, am I able still use as a pre amp for the powered studio monitors along with the passive speakers also connected being powered from the 3020? Could I run these both at the same time through the 3020 or switch between either set of speakers ?

Once you have removed the metal arches that connect the pre- to the power amps, the power stage  no longer works...hence no speakers can be powered.

I have seen threads on the forums relating to "Y" type splitters, but cannot add any advice as to the advisability of this.

Some years back I chose a NAD  pre-amp as a component in an active system, based partly on the fact that it has 2 sets of outputs, one of them with a variable level.

Edited by coppinger

You could leave the links in place as normal & power the passive speakers from the speaker terminals & connect your active speakers to the Tape Out, RCAs.  Without checking the 3020 specs, there should be enough gain to drive the active units.